"I'll fight for your honor"...? (don't understand)

This is a discussion on "I'll fight for your honor"...? (don't understand) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A couple of days ago I heard an old Chicago song, one of the lines of which was, "...I am a man who will fight ...

Thread: "I'll fight for your honor"...? (don't understand)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

A couple of days ago I heard an old Chicago song, one of the lines of which was, "...I am a man who will fight for your honor...".

Please help me understand this: if someone were to use graphic terms to describe an imaginary encounter with my wife/sister/mother/daughter... does chivalry demand that I whup him? Certainly while carrying I would have to walk on... but is there some sort of societal expectation I'm missing? Maybe this is a holdover from an older era when folks generally spoke the truth, so when a jerk said something disrespectful it might actually tarnish a lady's reputation?

I'm big on opening doors and tipping hats... heck, out of love and respect for my wife I even cleaned up the house before she returned from a trip (and we're talking vacuuming and everything - not just getting rid of beer cans and pizza boxes). In my circle, ladies are held in the highest regard - to the extent that any whiff of disrespect voiced towards them would 1) be disbelieved, and 2) would say VOLUMES about the person speaking. Thus, no need to 'fight' for anything: nothing was lost by the lady and the loss of respect for the jerk was accomplished by his own words rather than his receiving a drubbing.

Sure seems to me to be an issue only if a person were insecure in themselves or were unsure whether their social group might believe an accuser. You know, along the lines of "Were you dissin' me?!?" being more likely if a fellow were shaky for starters, or thought he might lose face in front of his pals.

Any thoughts? I just don't see fisticuffs as a response to words.
    Last edited by Paymeister; May 29th, 2010 at 12:13 AM. Reason: (corrected band name - thanks, atctimmy!)
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I see it as a reference to an older generation, when an older gent might bloody somebody's nose for being disrespectful.

Or the old dueling days of yore, where it was settled with sabers or pistols.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Years ago I'd throw hands with the LOUD MOUTHS, Now I take it with a grain of salt ; ) PS Years ago, It was a defferent Time!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    A couple of days ago I heard an old BeeGees' song, one of the lines of which was, "...I am a man who will fight for your honor...".

Please help me understand this: if someone were to use graphic terms to describe an imaginary encounter with my wife/sister/mother/daughter... does chivalry demand that I whup him? Certainly while carrying I would have to walk on... but is there some sort of societal expectation I'm missing? Maybe this is a holdover from an older era when folks generally spoke the truth, so when a jerk said something disrespectful it might actually tarnish a lady's reputation?
    You answered it right (in bold).

ETA: That is a Peter Cetera song by the way. he's one of the frontmen for the band Chicago.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links