Beaver in the pond and he's got to go

This is a discussion on Beaver in the pond and he's got to go within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My neighbors found a beaver stick in the pond today. Uh oh, I guess we've got one. The 2 or 3 nearby ponds have beavers ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaver in the pond and he's got to go

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Beaver in the pond and he's got to go

My neighbors found a beaver stick in the pond today. Uh oh, I guess we've got one. The 2 or 3 nearby ponds have beavers in them but those trees and those fence posts aren't my concern. These trees and these fence posts are my concern. I eased out this evening with the 22 bullpup and waited. The sun dropped just below the tree tops and here he came.

Short story. 5 shots, 5 misses. This 22 doesn't miss. I'm very remote so ricochet is not a real concern, but then again it's never a good plan. I've never shot 5 times at anything and missed and didn't expect to today. I'm hanging up the 22 because I don't know the the physics of a 22 LR on water, ricochet effect, etc. Even out here, who knows what could happen. It's very unpredictable.

Mr. Beaver gets duck loads tomorrow evening. He seems easy enough to draw in.

I know this sounds absurd, but any tips? Thanks.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Animal control.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Out here we don't call 911 and we don't have animal control. I'm almost serious about both points.
    Savage Heartland

trap him. If he's a nuisance animal, your local DNR agent may let you borrow a trap.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    trap him. If he's a nuisance animal, your local DNR agent may let you borrow a trap.
    Depends. IIRC, in some parts of the state trapping it is fine, but releasing it is against the law. I'd check with NCWRC before trying it.

But shooting it, that's OK.

BEAVER
    There is an open season for taking beaver with firearms or bow and arrow during any open season for the taking of wild animals, provided that permission has been obtained from the owner or lessee of the land on which the beaver is being taken.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm just curious as to what kind of damage is he doing to you or your property, you mentioned fence post and tree's, but you really didn't say he/she destroyed anything of yours.

Is it really necessary to kill him/her, just asking for I'm not sure of the damage he/she could do to your property if he/she could.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I'd much rather see the poor guy get trapped and relocated. Beavers arent too difficult to trap. Try a Have-A-Heart trap. I understand that he is a problem, but i'd hate to see the poor sucker get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    My neighbors found a beaver stick in the pond today. Uh oh, I guess we've got one. The 2 or 3 nearby ponds have beavers in them but those trees and those fence posts aren't my concern. These trees and these fence posts are my concern. I eased out this evening with the 22 bullpup and waited. The sun dropped just below the tree tops and here he came.

Short story. 5 shots, 5 misses. This 22 doesn't miss. I'm very remote so ricochet is not a real concern, but then again it's never a good plan. I've never shot 5 times at anything and missed and didn't expect to today. I'm hanging up the 22 because I don't know the the physics of a 22 LR on water, ricochet effect, etc. Even out here, who knows what could happen. It's very unpredictable.

Mr. Beaver gets duck loads tomorrow evening. He seems easy enough to draw in.

I know this sounds absurd, but any tips? Thanks.
    As others have said, is he 'harvesting' your trees or fence posts?

We had a couple of nuisance beavers damming up a creek/stream pipe flooding a road. We had to eventually take care of them and borrow a backhoe to completely clear out the pipe.

Coming from CT, I'm sympathetic to sparing beavers' lives, but at the same time I've seen 100-yard-plus beaver dams which have made large hayfields unaccessible by tractor, and flooded roads and back yards. Absent an effective predator, things get out of hand.

If you can shoot Bucky legally, go for it, but recognize that mature ones can go 40 pounds or more and a .22 Mag would be the minimum advisable round past 25 yards or so. But be prepared to destroy the dam once you eliminate the tenant. Otherwise, you're just leaving an open opportunity for the next beaver that comes along.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I'd much rather see the poor guy get trapped and relocated. Beavers arent too difficult to trap. Try a Have-A-Heart trap. I understand that he is a problem, but i'd hate to see the poor sucker get killed.
    +1 I agree with this...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    You may want to rethink shooting the beaver in the pond if the pond has fish in it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

chiefjason, you are correct. Thanks. I checked the regs last night (afterwards though I must admit). This puts a new twist on things.

To answer a few of you, yes the deforestation program has been put into effect. Naturally. He didn't show up for the scenery. Since most of the pond is bordered by pasture, it wasn't too difficult to determine a starting point. Naturally, he's taking the pine trees and leaving the sweetgums. I don't think he set up camp too long ago. All cuttings are fresh and he's been busy as a...... never mind.

A few years back we were living in a neighborhood. A couple hundred buzzards decided to "winter" there in the hood. Nasty birds with little potty training. Animal Control said, call Wildlife. State Wildlife subcontracts to a federal division but I cannot remember it's name. In any case, they're more than happy to help. But, there's a charge to the landowner. I've got a friend that works for these guys and I'll give him a call today (and hope he doesn't ask for his log splitter back during the conversation). I recall listening to him in the past and they typically don't hesitate to shoot them, unless they use explosives on an existing damn. In that case, no shooting required I would expect. We have no shortage of beavers. A chicken in every pot, a beaver in every pond so to speak. But I'll find out.

I'll admit that they're are handsome to watch on the water. Their works are amazing in themselves. But they're destructive and efficient and they waste no time.

I'm not sure what Plan B is but it won't include paying a fee for federal employees to dispatch a beaver. Given that we have farm status, I can probably take care of this myself as a nuisance animal but I would bet there's some paperwork involved, in advance.
    Last edited by svgheartland; May 30th, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
    Savage Heartland

Blowing up a beaver dam, or destroying it in any manner is not a solution, unless the beavers are removed too. They can and will rebuild the dam, almost overnight.

A lot of nature is cute and cuddley but need to be in the right location. I saw an idiot man try to feed a wild deer and nearly get his head kicked off. A pair of kit foxes roamed the neighborhood hanging out in my backyard. They were cute but could kill a small grandchild in nanoseconds.

Beavers must go

You need to get rid of them.. I have seen this before and they can destroy your pond. A good friend of mine almost lost his pond dam during a heavy rain because the beavers plugged the overflow and almost caused a washout of the dam. You need to get someone who can trap them because there are likely more than one and once you start shooting at them they become very smart and harder to kill. They will also start killing trees close to the pond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links