Enjoyed one of my other hobbies on Saturday

This is a discussion on Enjoyed one of my other hobbies on Saturday within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We went to the Superlift Off Road Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday and took my buddy's new rig on it's maiden voyage. He's worked ...

Thread: Enjoyed one of my other hobbies on Saturday

Enjoyed one of my other hobbies on Saturday

We went to the Superlift Off Road Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday and took my buddy's new rig on it's maiden voyage. He's worked on building this thing for the last 15 months. He worked on it almost every day after work and I helped him when ever I had a free weekend. Cris went through the guys at WWW.kryptonitekustoms.com and worked with them to design and build the tube frame and was the first designed there as a 4 seater. Once it was a rolling chassis, he loaded it up and took it home to his shop; where we spent the next year finishing the project. This weekends trip was the maiden voyage for the rig and it performed flawlessly, with the exception of a noisy bearing in the front Rockwell, which we tore into and fixed in camp.

If you go to the WWW.kryptonitekustoms.com site; all the pic's labeled four seater is Cris's and is the prototype for any future four seaters to be build and sold by them. Cris was able to save a ton of money by us doing all the work and only has around 40k in it. A turn key rig built by the company goes for around 80k.

The spec's on it are; The engine is a 2005 Fuel Injected 350, complete with the ECM and sensors. A beefed up Turbo 350 transmission with a manual valve body, attached to an Atlas Transfer case. All this is put to the ground through, narrowed 2.5 ton Rockwell military axles, turning 44" tires.

Link to Video: User Media - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Last edited by SIXTO; May 30th, 2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: fixed title spelling
    John Luttrell

Awesome...looks like fun....

Sweet Setup! I might have went with a Turbo 400 Tranny instead of the 350, but mainly because I have several of them here and would have had to bought a 350. All in all a great looking rig.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Looks like funnnnnnn!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Woah!! I think I'm in love, or maybe just lust. Nice piece of engineering there.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Now, that definitely looks like fun.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Thats awesome! I would love to build one someday since you can build a completely custom rig.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we can’t allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

I'm SOOO jealous!!

I've always wanted to build a rig like that. Reminds me of a Poison Spyder 4 seat Bruiser chassis. Rockwells! 44's...man you just totally reset my brain. My next build was going to be a 4door Rubicon, with Dana 60's, Atlas, 37's, 5.13 gears, AEV Hemi conversion, 4.5" RE long arm kit....etc... That rig makes my next Jeep build look like a darn golf cart. I live about 4 hours from Moab and drool over the trailered rigs everytime I'm down there. Looks like fun. Let me know if you ever come out to Moab to break 'er in on some slickrock...I'd love to see it in person.

Heading to Moab on Friday with my FJ....I'm going to feel inadequate now. Thanks for posting the pics.

Seriously, REALLY nice rig

A thing of beauty! I'd love to build a custom machine someday, but for now I bought a 2002 Wrangler back in February and have been slowly putting work into it when I have the spare money laying around.

I've taken it to a few trails, but it'll be getting its first big test at D-Day Oklahoma here in less than a week!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    A thing of beauty! I'd love to build a custom machine someday, but for now I bought a 2002 Wrangler back in February and have been slowly putting work into it when I have the spare money laying around.

I've taken it to a few trails, but it'll be getting its first big test at D-Day Oklahoma here in less than a week!
    Keep building that TJ! It's an excellent build platform. I sold my '02 TJ (lightly built & on 33's) When we had our son. I miss that thing more that I ever thought I would. JEEP!

To be honest, and now that I'm saying this it makes it sound worse than it really is, so far I've put more money into it via upgrades than I have car payments. Haha. That's the nature of the beast I suppose.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    To be honest, and now that I'm saying this it makes it sound worse than it really is, so far I've put more money into it via upgrades than I have car payments. Haha. That's the nature of the beast I suppose.
    Indeed. But the flipside is ...could you wait until it paid off to go wheelin' ? Not me. When you get in to custom buggys like the OP has, it's nearly all cash which can hurt more than a payment and the random bolt on upgrade. I've seen those run into the $150K range without a problem. It's addictive and you will find every reason under the sun to justify the next mod. It's just money right?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links