Desire and want. Is it bad or good? - Page 2

Desire and want. Is it bad or good?

This is a discussion on Desire and want. Is it bad or good? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; sounds like you already know that what you're doing is wrong. there are other people who have a stake in this besides you and your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desire and want. Is it bad or good?

sounds like you already know that what you're doing is wrong.

there are other people who have a stake in this besides you and your want.

Honor ought to be worth sacrifice.

You must weigh all the other consequences, and other people's emotions, as well.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
    Since you are intelligent and a non-believer, you are probably of a scientific bent. Think about Newton's laws of motion; for every action there is an equal and opposite re-action. The same holds true for the choices we make in life. For every choice we make, there is a consequence. Think about the consequences of your actions/choices and then think about the cost/benefit, not only to you, but to others who may be affected by your choices. Good luck in watever you decide to do.
    I do a lot of driving so I have a lot of time to think about the equal and opposite reactions.

Life is not fair. Never has been, never will be but I also know we are not hard wired for monogamous relationships. That is fact, not opinion.

I thank you for your response and as I've said. I know I have a long and crazy road ahead of me. I do not have total control over what is going to happen. This is a two way road. Compliance must come from both of us.

It does feel good to get this off my chest though. The outside input is what I need and again. I thank you folks for that.

I second the meditation. Also some of the religious derived meditations such as the Buddhist and Islam ones are pretty good ways to relax and refresh yourself. Eventually you just learn what works for you and do that.

Completely in the same boat as you; for myself high IQ (around three deviations beyond the median, not bragging, it really drags a person down emotionally), low self esteem due to ineptitude with social and romantic situations, and plagued with the questions of "what if" scenarios; however all of this is superseded by an overarching and immense will to survive. I missed a chance with someone I still love and just can't get that feeling anymore for any one else, but she's in a relationship, and I've never been good with talking to women or even keeping a conversation going that didn't involve something I was passionate about. No good at sharing my feelings either except for with the girl I previously mentioned.

I'm a believer and I'm stubborn and I think the Lord is trying to break me of that stubbornness, but to do so would make me feel as if I were giving up my tenacity and ability to overcome.

I'm 21 years old and grappling with this and the best thing I can tell you is to exercise extreme restraint and refrain from putting yourself in emotionally or morally compromising situations. If it feels like a good idea and you know its just because of what your emotions are telling you then it is NOT A GOOD IDEA...learned that the hard way several times. Let your emotions cool off and rationally think over the course of actions presented to you, NO WHAT-IFS, just look at the facts and not suppositions. If you catch yourself in a daydream about a situation that you know would be unlikely to happen or would compromise your emotional integrity then IMMEDIATELY correct your line of thought.

Hope it helps, being smart is tougher than it looks.
    Yours may be a battle, but in my head there is a war between rational scientific thought (I love physics, especially magnetism) and my faith in God and Jesus. Odd now that I think about it that I love magnets so much, seems like the war in my head is a lot like like an anti-polar collision.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    If the woman you speak of is already married or in a commited relationship you may want to seriously reconsidor! No amount of "want and desire" is worth dealing with a jealous husband or boyfriend.

Also being highly intelligent (high IQ) and common sense are not one and the same as you stated before. I have a buddy who works for NASA that decided to spray his breaks with WD40 because they were squeaking.

life is rough. there are always ALWAYS things that you want to do that you know you shouldn't.
    what you have to do is change your way of looking at 'should do / not do' vs 'want to do / not do'.
    If you know you shouldnt do something, but want to do it, think hard about that statement. If you know its a road that could lead to trouble, or is one that shouldnt be traveled for moral reasons (religious or not, morals are an important part of our lives). then do you really want to do it? im sure there are things about this lady that you want, but do you WANT all the consenquenses that go with it? are you going to WANT to live with yourself if you do, and it goes as badly as your brain thinks it might?
    if you know you should not do something, then should should also not want to do something.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links