Desire and want. Is it bad or good?

Desire and want. Is it bad or good?

This is a discussion on Desire and want. Is it bad or good? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Going down a road that is complicated but part of life. I'm a very complex person. I have a very high IQ but yet I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desire and want. Is it bad or good?

Question Desire and want. Is it bad or good?

Going down a road that is complicated but part of life. I'm a very complex person. I have a very high IQ but yet I allow myself to get into things I know better about. I've heard many times that those of us that are the smartest seem to lack common sense.

I like to think I have a great deal of common sense but sadly I do think that goes against what I know is right. I have this ability to convince myself it is ok. That what I am doing is right.

So maybe I'm fooling myself. Maybe I am not. Maybe I'm doing something I truly want to do. Maybe I want what is going to happen. The problem though is that what I want I cannot truly have.

So my brain says to me. Why even go down that road and do it? But yet, I will continue to do it because it is something I want. I have no clue how things will turn out but the desire to know is stronger than the desire to run away.

Emotions always seem to override common sense and I wish my mother was still alive to talk to her about it. I don't have a lot of friends and the ones I have I cannot discuss this with. So here I sit, typing this and wondering if I'm making the proper decision.

Want and desire. That is where I am. I want but at the same time I'm torn. If you are reading this you most likely are thinking I have no clue what he is typing about.

That is the part of me that can't explain it. I'm going to let myself become consumed with it. As much as I want to run away, I can't.

Sounds like your working on some serious issues. Have you spoken with anyone about this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    Sounds like your working on some serious issues. Have you spoken with anyone about this before?
    EDIT: Yes, I stated before I do not have a lot of friends to discuss this with and that is truth. Below is the only one I can talk to about it.

I've talked to a good female friend about it. She is pretty much in the same boat that I am. It is weird how in life you end up getting yourself involved in something that is good but at the same time bad.

I know for certain things are going to happen and I will have zero regrets about it but what is killing me is the emotional part.

How do I handle that part and what do I do? That is the question in my brain that won't go way.

VIP Member
    Not to sound to simplistic but sometimes you have to hold your nose and just jump in with both feet and see where the current takes you. I have done some things I wish I had not done but I have done other things, which have been very rewarding. I have met people that have enriched my life and others which would have been better avoided. Remember life is like a bowl of cherries, sometimes you get the fruit and other times you get the pits.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

with a very general post like this all your going to receive are generalizations and platitudes. I do not think any of that will help you.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

For most of my problems, a couple of beers while in the hot tub followed by a good night's sleep seems to take care of most...but then, I'm a simple old man.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My advice, without knowing specifics: Exercise restraint and be careful. Depending on the seriousness of the matter, seek professional counseling(psychologist or a minister). They can help to find the root of the problem and equip you to better deal with these situations. I will keep you in my prayers. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    My advice, without knowing specifics: Exercise restraint and be careful. Depending on the seriousness of the matter, seek professional counseling(psychologist or a minister). They can help to find the root of the problem and equip you to better deal with these situations. I will keep you in my prayers. Hope this helps.
    A lot of restraint and being careful is being applied. I do not have to seek professional help over it. My little rant was something I just had to get off my chest. I know the road I'm going down and the route is not going to change. There are just some aspects of it that I have no control over.

The bottom line is it involves a woman. That is the whole desire and want. We both desire and want but there are a lot of complications stuck right in the middle.

I sat and wrote what I was feeling but had nobody to share it with. Nobody to ask so I figured I would bounce it off of you folks. I know desire and want is going to win every single time but there is a side of me that always kicks in and says what are you doing?

So I'll fight this little battle in my brain. I'll figure it out as things go but I will still welcome input. Be it good or bad.

You are being vague, but it sounds like guilt to me. Comes from good up bringing.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    A lot of restraint and being careful is being applied. I do not have to seek professional help over it. My little rant was something I just had to get off my chest. I know the road I'm going down and the route is not going to change. There are just some aspects of it that I have no control over.

The bottom line is it involves a woman. That is the whole desire and want. We both desire and want but there are a lot of complications stuck right in the middle.

I sat and wrote what I was feeling but had nobody to share it with. Nobody to ask so I figured I would bounce it off of you folks. I know desire and want is going to win every single time but there is a side of me that always kicks in and says what are you doing?

So I'll fight this little battle in my brain. I'll figure it out as things go but I will still welcome input. Be it good or bad.
    If either of you are married, don't do it. Remember your promises before God, family, and friends. Honor them.

VIP Member
    Self-discipline. It's what seperates the good guys from the bad guys.

suffering always comes from desire and want.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    If either of you are married, don't do it. Remember your promises before God, family, and friends. Honor them.
    I'm not married and I'm an atheist. So the God part won't come into play. That doesn't mean I don't have morals or feelings of guilt because I do. I can only speak for myself and nothing more.

I have a crazy road ahead of me. I know this but sadly I'm going to take the drive.

Since you are intelligent and a non-believer, you are probably of a scientific bent. Think about Newton's laws of motion; for every action there is an equal and opposite re-action. The same holds true for the choices we make in life. For every choice we make, there is a consequence. Think about the consequences of your actions/choices and then think about the cost/benefit, not only to you, but to others who may be affected by your choices. Good luck in watever you decide to do.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Perhaps finding an outlet (besides the range). Martial arts allow an unimaginable release of tension and stress, also the invite clarity and self examination as a part of their practice. Meditation sounds like exactly what you need.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links