Mobil Homes?

Mobil Homes?

This is a discussion on Mobil Homes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Or is it Mobile Homes? Oh well... Ok, Years ago it seemed to me that any Mobil Home I saw new was great but after ...

Thread: Mobil Homes?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Mobil Homes?

Or is it Mobile Homes?

Oh well...

Ok, Years ago it seemed to me that any Mobil Home I saw new was great but after 10 years they all seemed to be very run down.

I've been hearing that the newer ones are better built, hold up and still look good after 20 years.

What's you experiance tell you about this?

Reason I'm asking is - Wife and I are thinking about selling our house and moving to a different area (Flood insurance just too high where we are) and houses are quite high in price. Someone suggested we consider a Mobil Home, double wide. I've looked at some and am very impressed with the inside's. Some even have a fireplace.

Your thoughts, comments, opinions???
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Or is it Mobile Homes?

Oh well...

Ok, Years ago it seemed to me that any Mobil Home I saw new was great but after 10 years they all seemed to be very run down.

I've been hearing that the newer ones are better built, hold up and still look good after 20 years.

What's you experiance tell you about this?

Reason I'm asking is - Wife and I are thinking about selling our house and moving to a different area (Flood insurance just too high where we are) and houses are quite high in price. Someone suggested we consider a Mobil Home, double wide. I've looked at some and am very impressed with the inside's. Some even have a fireplace.

Your thoughts, comments, opinions???

I believe it depends on the manufacturer. I have heard Palm Harbor Homes puts out a quality mobile/ modular home. They claim to be as well constructed as site built homes. Just don't put it a tornato prone area.

look at solitar (sp?) its a manufacture of mobile home they seem to be the best and yes you can even get 4 wides now and ect for the same price compared to house you can go from par to very very cush just do your research and make sure you can deal with loud walking noise

I have yet to hear of a mobile home going up in value.
    While it may not seem like it right now, traditional homes go up in value.

If I spend $100,000 on a traditional home, I would expect it to be worth $120,000 - $130,000 in 5 or 6 years.

If I spend $50,000 on a trailer, I would expect it to be worth $20,000 in 5 or 6 years.

If well maintained I would expect the traditional home to continue going up in value for the rest of my life. I would expect a mobile to continue to go down in value for the rest of it's life cycle. I have not priced any 30 - 50 year old mobile homes.

I just can't afford to lose that kind of money.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

The resale value of a manufactured/ mobile home is crap. Might look a panalized construction. House is up fast and is indistinguishable from stick built homes.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Most manufactured homes are now made with 2x6 exterior walls and well insulated. Mine is now 18 years old and I've had to replace faucets and water heater(we have very hard water here) but no other unusual problems.

Check out the Manufactured Housing Industry for more.
    www.factorybuilthousing.com/Default.asp
    I do everything the voices in my wife's head tell me to do!

Impossible is not a word. It's just a reason for someone not to try!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    The resale value of a manufactured/ mobile home is crap. Might look a panalized construction. House is up fast and is indistinguishable from stick built homes.
    ^ Good suggestion there. Or for the same amount of money, you could possibly find an existing small house that will go up in value, not down.

Ask a firefighter what he/she thinks about mobile homes.

The things to look for are:

Exterior sheathing material, you want at least 7/16's OSB all around.

Bathroom/kitchen vents, do they have dampers or are they just open to the outside air.

Interior wall material, is it real 1/2" or 5/8" sheetrock or that flimsy precoated 3/8" sheetrock.

Interior walls, are they 2x4's or flimsy 1x4's and 1x3's.

Roof pitch, you'd like to have at least 6/12

Trim work, is it real wood or that cheesy laminated paper stuff

Windows, are they mobile home or real house windows

Cabinets, are they real house cabinets or those cheesy laminated wood cabinets. Now many cabinet manufacturers use a plywood with wood veneer, this is fine. Stay away from that paperboard laminated stuff, it will not hold up.

Sinks and faucets, are they real or plastic

Flooring, is it the cheapest stuff you've seen or nice quality stuff.

Etc. etc. etc..... Cheap is visible if you look close.

A titled doublewide will lose value like a car, an untitled doublewide on land will hold it's value because of the land.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Palm Harbor Homes are definately are one of, if not the best (I haven't looked into it for a couple of years).

Value of home will probalby not go up, it will probably go down. It'll depend a lot on the land it's on. So if you plan on reselling, it's not a great way to go. If you'll be taking care of it, it should last at least two decades or more, no problem.

Palm Harbor are only available in about half of the US states.

My recommendation is to put a 'full concrete' slab underneath if you decide to go with a mobile or modular home.
    I was considering going with a triple wide, single level and putting it on top of a 10 ft. high lower floor made of cinder block construction. It would include a 2.5 car garage, 40' shooting gallery, reloading room, generator room, storage room and more. They've got some really nice two levels also. I myself wouldn't bother with a fireplace if I got another one. That's where I'd probalby put the widescreen TV.

They've really stepped it up in the last couple of years, Check them out.

Modular Home Plans | Custom Modular Home Designs | Floor Plans

Modular Homes | Manufactured Homes | Mobile Home | Palm Harbor

Factory Built Home | Mobile Homes | Modular Home

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Administrator
    I think it is important to note that there is a distinct difference between a mobile home and a modular home. The two terms are not interchangeable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think it is important to note that there is a distinct difference between a mobile home and a modular home. The two terms are not interchangeable.
    Agreed!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Sponsored Links