Crimson Trace Laser Moves Balloons!!!?

This is a discussion on Crimson Trace Laser Moves Balloons!!!? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anybody else experience this, I can make a group of three birthday balloons rotate by placing the laser dot on each edge. Interesting......

Anybody else experience this, I can make a group of three birthday balloons rotate by placing the laser dot on each edge. Interesting...

I have seen this happen. Has something to do with the small amount of heat generated by the light. I makes the air move or something. Fun though!

Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Guess what that radiation is? If you guessed HEAT, among other things, then you'd be right!

Light is both a particle and a wave, when it hits a surface it acts a particle and imparts some of its energy in the IR and Visible spectrum of radiation, a mostly as red photons (visible) but also a small amount of heat (IR), onto that surface. That small amount of heat then is able to generate a small amount of air current around the now heated elastic of the balloon and thus move your lighter than air balloon with relative ease.

Some lasers readily available to the general public today can even pop balloons (mostly more energetic forms of light such as green and blue used lasers are more prone to this outcome.)

That's all for today class!
    /lecture

I like physics.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

That's all for today class!
    /lecture

I like physics.
    OK Prof, a question.

Would the color of the balloon of degree of reflectivity matter?

For example, a shinny metallic area vs. a dark area light absorbing area?

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If it's heat that moves it, then a darker color would generate more heat at the impact zone. If it's the minute momentum from the light photons, then maybe the reflective would move more since the photons not being absorbed "might" eat up less energy going to heat so more energy for the "push".

Since the photon momentum is most likely a much smaller force than the convection air currents, I would say the heat is what drives it, so final answer, DARK color balloon! Could be wrong though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    If it's heat that moves it, then a darker color would generate more heat at the impact zone. If it's the minute momentum from the light photons, then maybe the reflective would move more since the photons not being absorbed "might" eat up less energy going to heat so more energy for the "push".

Since the photon momentum is most likely a much smaller force than the convection air currents, I would say the heat is what drives it, so final answer, DARK color balloon! Could be wrong though.
    Better stated than my post. However, those are the details behind the question on my mind.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I figured the green lasers would have this affect on the balloon, but the crimson trace laser is only 5mW, But I guess they measure it in nM? If this is the case it's pretty powerful at 632nM?

Thanks for the feedback, some interesting stuff

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The absorption of energy from a darker balloon may have a different effect. I would say this because the energy would be wasted on the balloon absorbing it instead of moving it. The reflective qualities of a lighter color may yield a better result due to less energy absorption but without experimentation it is just a theory.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

A little off topic, but funny I think. Our Squadron Commander was always complaining that he could not see the red lasers on Power Point slides, so supply ordered some green lasers. This green lasers can be seen over 5k away, from the point of origin. I mean you can shine these babies on a building over 3 miles away and still see the dot. Now I fear losing my eyesight at every briefing.

A dark balloon would indeed be a good choice, but a balloon the exact color of the laser would be the best choice because then the balloon would be absorbing the light energy and much of it would be converted to heat.

A metallic balloon is one of the worst choices for this experiment because it will reflect the light for the most part; that reflectivity is in part why weather balloons are made of mylar!

Quote Originally Posted by sr3076a View Post
    Anybody else experience this, I can make a group of three birthday balloons rotate by placing the laser dot on each edge. Interesting...
    Posts=zero? That's interesting enough to me. By the way....balloons don't have edges. You'll see more action out of your Crimson Trace laser with a cat. Have fun using up those batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

Posts=zero? That's interesting enough to me. By the way....balloons don't have edges. You'll see more action out of your Crimson Trace laser with a cat. Have fun using up those batteries.
    Posts in off-topic don't count towards post count apparently, and technically they have an edge, but that edge is the entire outline of the balloon itself. Gotta love curves!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Gotta love curves!
    They don't let me in that place... I just wanted to watch...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you think that's cool, check out what you can do with a 405nm blu-ray laser and a Star Trek phaser toy: Homemade Star Trek phaser is powerful enough to pop balloons | DVICE

Joe

Another physics lesson...when the laser is on the balloon, pull the trigger and it will move even faster! ( regardless of color )
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Links