Robber Sues Victims After They Beat Him

This is a discussion on Robber Sues Victims After They Beat Him within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This story appeared on AOL today - submitted by the Associated Press. Another bogus lawsuit by a crybaby criminal. Robber Sues Victims After They Beat ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robber Sues Victims After They Beat Him

This story appeared on AOL today - submitted by the Associated Press.

Another bogus lawsuit by a crybaby criminal.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (June 12) - A man is suing an auto-parts store for assault and battery after he attempted to hold up the business and employees responded by beating him with a metal pipe.

Dana Buckman, 46, walked into an auto shop brandishing a semiautomatic pistol last summer, only to have it turned on him by two AutoZone employees, police said. The men beat Buckman with a metal pipe and held him with his own gun.

Buckman escaped and was arrested a week later.

He pleaded guilty to first-degree robbery and was sentenced to 18 years in prison as a repeat violent felon.

Buckman claims the men chased him out of the store and continued to beat him. He is suing the auto shop and the men for the injuries he suffered and for emotional distress.

"In some respects, you wonder if a case like this even needs a defense. It speaks for itself," said lawyer Patrick B. Naylon, who represents AutoZone and the employees.

But lawyer Phillip R. Hurwitz, who represents Buckman, said the employees crossed the line by pursuing Buckman and attacking him.

"The danger was past," Hurwitz said. "These two employees took it upon themselves to go after Mr. Buckman after he left the store."
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Lead Moderator
    If the punishment for the crime was more suitable than watching Cable T.V. , 3 square meals and loafing around , maybe we would have less crime.
    I don't feel sorry for the criminal who got a taste of violence from those who he was threatening.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I wonder if OSHA has any guidelines to prevent on-the-job injuries like this?

This is one jury I'd like to be sitting on...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I think that it is crazy for someone to try and rob a place and then sue b/c they beat you up after you threatened them. That would be like me cutting you off and then slaming on my brakes and sueing after you hit me.

From a tactics stand point I think that it is not the greatest idea to chase someone who just threatened you. There could have been more BG's outside. I hope the judge just laughs and throws this case out.

Assistant Administrator
    and for emotional distress.
    Oh really - gimme a break

This really is a total joke case - hell, emotional distress is what the victims get when subjected to the crime - he asked for what he got and it seems they just gave him a slightly bigger serving

I too hope the judge pitches this straight out and maybe even reprimands the guy for being so darned stoopid and nieve. Takes the breath away this sorta crap!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    If not thrown out the employees still have the perfect defense. The were trying to hold him for the police and he was trying to escape. He's just lucky that they did not shoot him with his own gun while he was attempting to escape. Now that would have been justice.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Can you say counter suit, For the same reasons and twice the money. That should shut him up. I would think a jurry would find it easier to award money for distress at looking down the barrel of a gun over getting hit with a pipe. Let the court award some large suits against the BG's and his estate and see what happens to the law suits after that. Hopefully even a positive effect on crime rates.

How better to show criminals that chrime DOESN'T pay.

Sorry, Rant off.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Hmmm... A bit of the devil's advocate in me on this one...

No love lost between me and a criminal but it seems to me like the employees used force to "punish" the BG - not to stop a dangerous threat.

Isn't that the fine-line distinction for us to either withhold or deploy deadly force?

You don't shoot the BG when he starts to run away. He was unarmed at that point and the danger had passed. Time for the police to beat him with pipes. :))))
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Criminals like this drive me nuts. I dont feel on bit bad for him, nor should any one else - the article said this wasn't his first felony. If the dude cant straighten up after one then he isnt ever gonna straighten up. If he got beat down for trying to hold someone up then he got what was coming to him.

ugghhhh!

I live in Rochester.....here's hoping that my neighbors on the jury laugh this giy out of court. I also hope that the law firm that is representing this **** gets fined for brining a specious lawsuit.

Lead Moderator
    PapaScout (sadly) has a valid point.

Hopefully a jury will bow to common sense and find for the employees. Better still a judge will just throw the whole thing out, but I doubt that.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

It depends where it gets handled. If it was in the actual city limits it might have some legs but if it was in a suburb and gets tried in the county courts it will get tossed.

The county judges are by and large very conservative and will probably slap this guy and send him home telling him he is lucky to be alive.

Senior Moderator
    It may well be that the force used by the store employees to stop the fleeing felon were permissible to attempt to affect a citizen's arrest.

They used a lesser degree of force than they had available, which shows restraint on their part, IMHO.

Personally, I think this case is a model of frivolity, and the attorney who is representing the plaintiff should be caned as an example to others.

As an aside, I love the sunshine state - our laws not only bar this kind of suit, but also make the plaintiff's attorney responsible for the defendants' legal expenses....

Matt

Well, spoken Matt.

The employees *did* show restraint by not plugging the POS with his own weapon.

Not to hijack the thread, but does the use of force to arrest a lawbreaker vary from state to state? I've oft heard the expression "citizen's arrest" but have never been clear on the power invested in a bystander that witnesses (or is a victim of) a crime.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    a say shout from the top of the mountian for thease to auto zone workers WE WONT LAY DOWN ANY MORE think this atitude is spreading the whole just give em what they want mentality is drying up although the employeys of auto zone didnt have a gun they refused to laydown for this dirt bag and gave him a big ole can of whoop a-- good for them and now he wants to cry cause he is being teased in the big house cause he got beat up while he had a gun and they had a pipe. his new standing in jail is bubbas play thing lmao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links