AC quit working Sat

AC quit working Sat

This is a discussion on AC quit working Sat within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I live in South Texas and AC is a must,a friend of mine recommended a guy that he said was reasonable,but I had to wait ...

AC quit working Sat

I live in South Texas and AC is a must,a friend of mine recommended a guy that he said was reasonable,but I had to wait til Monday to call him.Monday I call and hes got another job in my area so he can get to me by noon.It ended up being a broke wire from the thermostat,I asked how much and he said FREE,He had noticed my reloading stuff and holsters and leather when he came in and said he had a baby eagle 9mm,I told him to bring his gun over and I would make him a custom holster FREE.
    You just don't run into too many people anymore that would do that.I have great respect for people that don't put their self worth in posessions,but in friends
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Great story. The last time I had to call an AC guy the trip charge alone was $75.

See, and you made a new friend to boot!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

When I meet folks like that, I always try to get them repeat business.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Steve, you have that problem! You're just a good natured friendly person. I've dealt with you once and liked you from the start! Happy everything worked out for you my friend! Dave M.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Excellent!

Yep, free is rare these days.

Also nice of you to offer him a holster.

Things like this used to happen all the time but somewhere along the line folks became exceedingly greedy and wanted a dollar for every moment of their time.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I had brake pads put on my truck here in West Virginia. They squealed like crazy, kept taking the truck back to the people who put them on and charged me through the nose, but they never could find the problem.

Then on a trip to Illinois, I took it to a place in Springfield named Floyd's Auto. In less than 20 minutes they found the problem. A clip had broken and was lodged behind the rotor and was squealing. When I asked them how much the cost, the owner said he didn't do much except pull the offending material out with a pair of pliers and that there would be no charge. I insisted on paying them the hourly rate they charge for labor even though he said it wasn't necessary. It's people like this that renew my faith in others.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

THAT is 'neighborly networking' at it's finest!

You probley just got the 'promptest' future AC service in the region AND a couple-few 'customers' for your holsters as well.

Word gets around.
    Great story, thanx for posting.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like a winner to me. Up here, I use window units that get trashed after 5 or so years. It's cheaper than fixing them; and, in actuality I probally don't even need them for a hand full of days a year.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Sounds like a winner to me. Up here, I use window units that get trashed after 5 or so years. It's cheaper than fixing them; and, in actuality I probally don't even need them for a hand full of days a year.
    Down here there might be a handful of days the AC isn't on
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Being an A/C guy myself I've done a few freebies for fellow gun owners around my area as well. Got a few reloads from a former NRA/CCL instructor once. Glad you got a/c fixed. Next time maybe send me a PM and possibly help you fix it via messages.

VIP Member
    Glad it turned out to be a "nothing." Usually when mine goes out it becomes a mega bucks problem; compressor, fan motor, evaporator. I lived in one place for 11 years and went through 2 compressors and a new condensing unit.

It is a matter of luck though. My last condensing unit was still going strong after 17 years with no maintenance at all, when I replaced it for a more energy efficient one.

Here's what we have learned from 35 years of Texas summer heat. 1) Keep the AC guy on contract. They come faster when there are emergencies if you are an established customer. 2) Keep a couple of window units around. If you can keep a bedroom cool, at least everyone will get a night's sleep and you have a place to hide out during the day. 3) Be prepared to evacuate to a local motel (the roach motel will do if necessary) till the AC gets fixed. 4) The AC units usually work just fine until the hottest day of the year in mid-July or early August, then the perverse machines call it quits; always on a weekend. 5) when it is hardest for the AC guy to get replacement parts-- or so it seems. 6) They go out at a time of year when the AC guy can't quickly get parts--a minor back order can make your life miserable.

Links