Oh, the irony: BP You are responsible for your own spills

This is a discussion on Oh, the irony: BP You are responsible for your own spills within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Thread: Oh, the irony: BP You are responsible for your own spills

Oh, the irony: BP You are responsible for your own spills

2. Remove Ads

that's kinda funny.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I can't believe anyone could actually support BP and buy their gas when they are responsible for this:

Source: Charlie Riedel/AP Photo

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    I can't believe anyone could actually support BP and buy their gas when they are responsible for this:

Source: Charlie Riedel/AP Photo

If you've ever bought gas at an Exxon or Mobil station, you paid for cleanup on their spill in Prince William Sound, it wasn't cheap either.

BPs spill will be the worst until another disaster with another company in another location occurs. If BP doesn't sell gas and goes bankrupt, who will pay for the cleanup? If you said the American taxpayer, you'd be right. You're already going to pay for a good portion of it anyway, sad as the case may be.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

BP stands for "barely proficient" among ocean engineers. They are also known for shortcutting safety. Just what I have heard from people in the business, before and after this "accident". I am not anti oil, I wish like crazy we would drill more, everywhere, including right here in our country. Love to see more refineries also. If anything, this accident should lead us to drill more in safe places like anwar.
    I am happy there are big corporations that employ thousands and more people. I do expect them to act responsibly, however. Not sure I read any posts advocation stopping driving, etc.

One of the reasons oil companies drill out at sea where the ocean is a mile deep is they cannot drill on land anymore.

BP is dealing with the mess. It is a mess; it should not have happened and BP - among others - didn't want it to happen. But that's true of many things in life. BP is ponying up the money. Perhaps grudgingly, but who wants to put out money even for one's own mistakes? The fact is, they are paying up.

Life is just not convenient. But it's the only game in town.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Me thinks we don't drill on land in the US because we're holding that as a reserve against draining the Middle East and other places. You don't want to have the worlds largest economy consuming more energy than any other nation and be the fourth economy to run out of oil.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    Me thinks we don't drill on land in the US because we're holding that as a reserve against draining the Middle East and other places. You don't want to have the worlds largest economy consuming more energy than any other nation and be the fourth economy to run out of oil.

I've had that same theory for a while. Drain the Middle East and hold what we have for wartime or emergencies.

I still think though we have to find a way to become less oil dependant. I'm not an environmentalist but I still think there has to be a better way to power an automobile than an engine that has an energy efficiency of about 19%. Even keeping this type of engine I wonder if the answer is the serial hybrid (gas engine running an electric generator which powers an electric motor).

VIP Member

re SCTiger

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    I've had that same theory for a while. Drain the Middle East and hold what we have for wartime or emergencies.

I still think though we have to find a way to become less oil dependant. I'm not an environmentalist but I still think there has to be a better way to power an automobile than an engine that has an energy efficiency of about 19%. Even keeping this type of engine I wonder if the answer is the serial hybrid (gas engine running an electric generator which powers an electric motor).
    There is no ONE single answer but there are lots of 'answers' which we could have, should have, been taken to heart since 1973 and 1978. We have been foolish as a nation in that we have refused to be serious about energy independence.

We have the ability to drastically reduce our oil consumption over the next few years but we still lack the will.

I am no fan of T Boone Picken's political viewpoints but I am a big
    supporter of his position that we must develop wind power sources and use natural gas as a bridge fuel.

Next year Nissan will be selling an all electric "Leaf" which will be a 100% electric vehicle suitable for most in city use. Chevy will have The Volt which will be able to run on plug-in electricity for about 40 miles and then switch to gasoline power for the long haul-most folks drive less than 40 each day so they could get by on wind-generated electricity.

Large trucks can be built to run on natural gas, thus reducing dependence on liquid oil for the commercial transportation industry.

A few years ago I was in a Taxi in Brisbane, Australia. The cab was running on natural gas and the driver explained that it was dual fuel. He could run on either natural gas or gasoline. We however are almost unable to get natural gas powered cars or to economically get our present cars converted to dual fuel.

As usual, we have met the enemy and he is us. We have not found a way to put the long term interests of our country ahead of the immediate interests of various energy industry segments.
    Last edited by Hopyard; June 9th, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    America is already using alternative energy sources. Maybe not in massive quantity yet but things like hydro electric plants, wind turbines, bio fuels, natural gas, propane, electric hybrid cars, ethanol and fuel cell technology is already in use. I admit the car industry is pretty far behind when it comes to factory fresh alternative fuel vehicles but the aftermarket offers everything from running vegetable oils to bio fuels to alcohol.

On a personal opinion... I like the idea of the Chevy Volt. The cleanliness of a plug in electric vehicle with the capability to make a long trip. It just makes sense.

Something about power generation in America. Trying to get away from coal seems to be a big thing. They want to put up all those ugly wind turbines and make wind farms that take up huge amounts of land. Along with the maintenance the fact that you have reliance on an energy source that is there one minute and gone the next minute just seems like an inefficient way to generate electricity. There is one answer but even the mention of the words nuclear power plant will get the EPA all riled up. They want clean alternative fuel.... well....
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Links