Jury duty

Jury duty

This is a discussion on Jury duty within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got another mailing to fill out jury duty info. I doubt I will get to sit on a jury though. the current job and question ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury duty

Lead Moderator

Jury duty

Got another mailing to fill out jury duty info. I doubt I will get to sit on a jury though. the current job and question "have you ever been in law enforcement seems to make em no pick me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Not sure why, but I've lived in the Denver metro area for almost 25 years, and have never received a jury summons...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I get one every year but after the questions for some reason they always kick me out. I actually would like to sit on a Jury as my work still pays me. Think it would be interesting. Maybe you need to answer the questions as a liberal would. Could anyone tell me how to do that............hehe?
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

After 15 years in this county, I got one. Answered everything just being "me" and ended up on a jury. Rugerman - I had that advantage, too, as work still paid me. It was kind of interesting.
    My wife got one, answered it like she was crazy. They didn't pick her at all (good for us as she's self-employed).

Assistant Administrator
    Never yet been asked over all my adult life - not in fact that fussed and shall not complain if never have to do it!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

We travel fulltime, and have always welcomed the few jury notices we have received. Only once were we unable to meet the committment since we were on the opposite side of the country at the time. It is our duty as citizens of this great nation. It is such a small price to pay in return for allowing us to live the way we wish to live, and pack guns at the same time! What a country!!!!!
    God Bless the USA

I've been called to jury duty twice. The first time was a 6'-6" black man that smashed a glass pitcher into the face of waitress. He got five years if I remember correctly. The second time I was called in but was never picked for a jury. Just sat around for a day and a half. BORING.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I was called for jury duty and I thought "since I'm an engineer and the case in question was one dealing with construction codes and a company I used to work for was involved" I would get excused. Nope, I got picked. Took all of one day. The rest of the time was boring as hell.

What I thought was disturbing was when picking jurors for a case involving gang members, you had to state your name, where you lived, how many people lived in your house and what your job was. Soon as heard those questions being asked, I determined that I was very biased against the defendents and very biased towards the cops. Luckily, they filled that one before I was called.

Next time I'm bringing my NRA hat and wearing a "Peace Through Superior Firepower" T-shirt.

old lady has to go 26th i did downtown detroit last year

VIP Member
    In 11 years I have been summoned for jury duty 3 times. I have served on the Grand Jury twice. Anytime it come to actually striking a jury I always get struck off. When they ask about education and I list a BS, MS, MDiv, ThD the defense usually strikes me. They don't want anybody who can understand the evidence too well. Once I didn't get struck right away and was able to answer the question about employment. I was the director of IT at the time. Of course I had to explain what IT is. When they heard that I was responsible for 200 computers, 7 servers, etc. I got struck.

I actually enjoyed the Grand Jury duty. You have some real power there. It was fun to require that someone come to testify. It was also fun when someone making the charge decided that they did not want to answer questions. Only the accused can take the 5th. If the accuser refuses to answer you order the sheriff to arrest the person on the charge of contempt. That case then goes to the district court and you carry the original one over. You don't have as many rights when called before the Grand Jury as you do in a trial.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

In all my years I have never been called. Of course, up until 7 years ago I was active duty AF and still held my residence in Florida.

Since I am now a resident in Oregon and a registered voter (Oregon goes off the voter reg.) then I could get one.

I don't know if my work pays for it or not but I could always take sick leave or vacation. I would love to sit on the jury, especially if it was a RKBA case.

BTW, is it illegal to lie to the lawyers in order to get on the jury? Like if they asked me "Do you believe in the individual right to own guns" and I lied and said, "no" and then I was the cause of a hung jury do to an unconstitutional law, could I be jailed for lying?

Just a question/thought :D.

Wayne

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Got another mailing to fill out jury duty info. I doubt I will get to sit on a jury though. the current job and question "have you ever been in law enforcement seems to make em no pick me.
    Rocky, I was called to jury duty a few years back. I ID'd myself as a FLEO, informed the sitting magistrate that I had a bias against criminals and criminal activity and informed her that I was moving to FL in about two months.....I was made the assistant foreperson on a state grand jury (GJ).

To add insult to injury, the foreperson was pregnant....so out of the ten or so times the GJ was held, I was the acting foreperson nine or so times. If I remember right, I missed (and was excused for) two of the last GJ appearances.

Truth be told.....that was one of the best experiences I've had in the judicial system. I actually enjoyed what I did and in the end I respected the entire process even more.

....plus a bunch of the lady assistant state prosecutors were very cute!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

never been asked. we move to much for them to get me. but my son got served as soon as he got his voters card. what a hoot.

VIP Member

Jury Duty

I been asked a few time but only picked once. It was a civil case involving a car accident. When they picked the jury one of the questions was have you ever been in an accident that was your fault. There were about ten people in front of me that said no but when it was my turn I told the truth and said yes, about ten when I was a teenager and they were all my fault. Well guess what I was the first one picked for the jury. I would of thought I'd be the first one tossed out.

I have served on both court martials and civilian juries. I consider it an honor as a citizen to be selected, answer the questions truthfully to let the court decide who will be seated and who will be dismissed.

I was on a civilian jury 18 months ago as the foreman. It was a civil suit which only required a 3/4 majority. It was sort of like herding cats to get them to concentrate and go through an orderly decision making process.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links