old room mates what rent and i'm not tottaly convinced I owe what they say

This is a discussion on old room mates what rent and i'm not tottaly convinced I owe what they say within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So me and 3 other guys get an apartment last year. We ended up moving in a 5th person. So in October I got engaged ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old room mates what rent and i'm not tottaly convinced I owe what they say

So me and 3 other guys get an apartment last year. We ended up moving in a 5th person. So in October I got engaged and told them then when i got married i would be moving out. In january she got pregnant and 3 days after that i got knocked down to 15 hours a week at work. We decided to get married and move into her parents house march 6th. I told then in january that i would be moving out at that time. I agreed i would continue to pay my share of the rent.

Well i lost my job all together and was only working 4 or 5 times a month because i just couldnt find work and couldn't pay. I ended up paying them $250 the next month after selling a gun. They moved another person in to replace me (without my consent) around the same time. Now i would think that since they moved someone else in i would not be obligated to pay anything at all. Well one of them jumped me today about how i owe them like $770 or something like that and that the $200 i gave to the other room mate was to pay back his personal money.

The rent is $705 and they have 4 people living there. I think the guy that they moved in to replace me might have moved out this past week but im not completely sure. At most i would owe them if i'm obligated to pay is about $150 or $170. I dont think that i'm obligated to pay the full $250 to cover their utilities as well.

So i have a wife who is in a high risk pregnancy and has to have $200 worth of medicine per month. I dont have a job still and what little work i get goes to gas and to things for the baby i have on the way.

I mean reguardless of whether or not i'm obligated to pay i just can't do it. My wife and unborn little girl come first. I'm just wanting an idea of wear i stand.

I'd just add them to my phone's blacklist, they'll get the message. (love having a jailbroken iPhone for those fun apps)

VIP Member
    Sounds like you owe them money. It also sounds like you need to get better friends.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

What's more important to you, your child or some low-lifes who are scraping the bottom of the barrel for money?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Sounds like you owe them money. It also sounds like you need to get better friends.
    I agree that i do owe them something. The problem comes in with how much I owe. By my numbers i owe them at $200 at best. They are all working. I'm not and i have a pregnant wife. He also called my wife a ***** which really pissed me off. It's just uncalled for. I mean they had someone in my room that i was paying for. I paid for 1 month, He was there for one, and so at best i owe them $200. I dont see how i'm required to pay the full $200 when the rent is only $705. I dont think i should pay for the utilities too.

I should have a job in the next week or so though. Geeksquad finally called back and i'm on my way to the last interview

This sounds like a case for Judge Judy :0)
    I was in a similar situation except I was on the other end of that deal. Had 2 roomates and one of them ended up being a leech. (Not saying you are btw)
    He got a girl pregnant and had to move back in with his parents and I got stuck holding the brown end of the stick.
    I was a bit more understanding of his situation because I know how rough life can get so I feel as if your "friends' should also be more understanding. You should have a nice little sit down chat with them in a public place and decide whats fair and perhaps agree to pay them what you can when you can.
    Good luck with the baby girl. Hope it all works out for you all.

Always put your agreements in writing. It doesn't have to be a real contract, just what you agreed to do...could have solved a lot of problems...he said, I said, they said...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yeah it was an idiot on that part. It's not like i'm not willing to pay. I've already sold my carry weapon to pay them rent and everything else for that matter. I have my two computers that i both need for work and research and that's really about it. My dad was nice enough to sell a pistol of his and buy me a new carry gun.

This issue is with how he came to me and how much he said I owed.

Well.. they aren't friends. They were taking you for a ride.

If you feel like paying them, pay them what you think you owe them , then move on..... let them know "that's what is fair and that's it".

You owe them for any rent before the new guy moved in to take your place ,anything after that is between them,I am not a lawyer,did not sleep in a holiday inn express last night,but I watch Judge Judy a lot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Did you have your name taken off the lease? If not, have your name taken off the lease as soon as possible.. As long as your name is on the lease, you are legally responsible for the rent with no regard to what is "fair".
    Last edited by phreddy; June 9th, 2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I agree that i do owe them something. The problem comes in with how much I owe. By my numbers i owe them at $200 at best. They are all working. I'm not and i have a pregnant wife. He also called my wife a ***** which really pissed me off. It's just uncalled for. I mean they had someone in my room that i was paying for. I paid for 1 month, He was there for one, and so at best i owe them $200. I dont see how i'm required to pay the full $200 when the rent is only $705. I dont think i should pay for the utilities too.

I should have a job in the next week or so though. Geeksquad finally called back and i'm on my way to the last interview

If a buddy of mine called my wife a ***** he'd be getting a knuckle sandwich! Move on and find new friends. You have new responsibilies now.

I'd tell them that I would pay what I though was fair up to the point they moved the replacement in. He took over the responsibility at that point. Make sure your name in not on the lease, and tell them good by!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If your name is on the lease, I agree with the others that it should be taken off immediately. If it's "not" on the lease, then you may owe them for that one month that you moved out on them, but that's as far as I would pay them. You gave them prior notice. You moved the time up because you had to (that is why I say pay for the month you moved out), but after that, it's their ball of wax. You don't owe them squat.

I agree with Ernie, your friend should have gotten a knuckle sandwich.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    yeah it was an idiot on that part. It's not like i'm not willing to pay. I've already sold my carry weapon to pay them rent and everything else for that matter. I have my two computers that i both need for work and research and that's really about it. My dad was nice enough to sell a pistol of his and buy me a new carry gun.

This issue is with how he came to me and how much he said I owed.
    I had 4 roommates in my first apartment after college. Only one other guy was a past college roommate. We took our chances finding the other guys.One guy was wierd but paid the rent. It lasted one year (when the lease was up) before we all went our separate ways.

I think if I was in you situation, I would try to sell something else and pay them off. That way there is no guilt on your part and no bad feelings against you on their parts.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links