A Question (mainly) for LEO's

This is a discussion on A Question (mainly) for LEO's within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was pulled over not too long ago in West Palm Beach, Florida. Now, while I was not carrying concealed, I did have guns in ...

Thread: A Question (mainly) for LEO's

A Question (mainly) for LEO's

I was pulled over not too long ago in West Palm Beach, Florida. Now, while I was not carrying concealed, I did have guns in the car as 3 of us were headed to South Carolina to go hunting.

It was about 6am and we were an hour into our road trip, traveling on the Turnpike, in the rain. The speed limit was 65 and I was doing 76 (according to my GPS), going with the flow of traffic. I had a tray on the back of my SUV - Hitch-Haul style - with two coolers and a 'climber' style treestand on it. Everything was secured VERY well.

While traveling on the Turnpike, a state trooper caught up to us, then, upon seeing us (and the tray), slowed down and started riding next to us. He continued to drive next to us for approximately the next 5 or 6 miles. Then, once the rain stopped, he pulled behind and turned his lights on. Of course, I pulled over where it was safe to do so, and had my drivers license, insurance, and registration ready when he got to the door.

When he walked up to my door, he asked for all the information, which I handed him. Then, without any small talk or questioning myself, went into a rant about how the tray I was using should not even be legal to sell and how it blocked my license tag and was therefore illegal. After about a 10 minute lecture on his displeasure for my tray, he then said, "AND you were going 80mph when I pulled up on you and I will be writing you a ticket for that as well."

Without asking (or waiting) for a response, he turned around, walked to his car, and came back 10 minutes later with two tickets. When he returned, he stated he was just finishing his shift, was not planning on writing any more tickets, but saw my truck with the tray and my speed and, "had to do his job."

Now, please keep in mind, I absolutely agree that I was breaking the law in the instance of both tickets and they have both been taken care of; however, I was hoping some of the LEO's on the forum could chime in and give their opinion on this 'stop.' I couldn't help but find it odd how, despite all other factors (such as me going with the speed of traffic and him going faster than me going 'home'), he followed me side by side for at least 5 to 6 miles before pulling me over.

PS: For what it's worth, in all my years of driving, this is, quite literally, the FIRST time I had ever been pulled over and had a COMPLETELY clean criminal AND driving record.

Also, for what it's worth, I did a quick google search on the officer and found he was a trooper on the TruTv show, 'Speeders.'

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I couldn't help but find it odd how, despite all other factors (such as me going with the speed of traffic and him going faster than me going 'home'), he followed me side by side for at least 5 to 6 miles before pulling me over.
    At 80 MPH you were traveling about 1.3 miles per minute.
    Five to six miles on the interstate equates to about 4 minutes.

He may have been calling in the stop, telling Dispatch the color and make of your vehicle, the mile marker location of the stop and any other identifiers. When the license plate is not visible, you take a few extra precautions before you stop.

Perfectly normal.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A few random thoughts.
    1. Because you were going with the flow of traffic, does not mean that it was a safe speed.
    2. Two cites seems extreme, but I was never a big traffic man.
    3. He may have waited to make the stop so he wouldn't get wet in the rain.
    4. He may have been having a bad day or just trying to keep up his tv image.
    5. There is nothing that shows that he was actually on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Now, please keep in mind, I absolutely agree that I was breaking the law in the instance of both tickets and they have both been taken care of; however, I was hoping some of the LEO's on the forum could chime in and give their opinion on this 'stop.'

LEO's control the location and time of the stop.

It seems like you continued to go with the flow of traffic as did other cars. All had one violation of speeding, you had the added violation of an obstructed license plate.

Traffic enforcement is selective and discretionary on the part of a LEO. He used his discretion and selected to enforce it on you and apparently he identified two valid violations and (on your admission) his tickets were warranted.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

1.) It was raining.....and he didn't want to get wet
    2.)Since he couldn't read your license plate due to your tray he mave have been trying to get a better angle in an attempt to read it
    3.)He may have been waiting for a safer place to stop you
    4.)He is a state trooper, which means thats all he does is write tickets, so 2 tickets shouldn't be a big surprise
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    4.)He is a state trooper, which means thats all he does is write tickets, so 2 tickets shouldn't be a big surprise
    Don't know many State Troopers do you?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    5. There is nothing that shows that he was actually on the way home.
    I say this because he told me he was just finishing his shift and was on his way home.

Thanks for the perspective guys. Like I said, I know I did wrong but it just seemed a little extreme. I was mainly peeved about how on a GPS I was doing 76mph but he wrote me for 80 so that the ticket was more.

The two tickets were worth almost $400 if I had had to pay them.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Don't know many State Troopers do you?
    I knew I would catch some flack for this I'm good friends with 5 NYS Troopers and we always joke around about this topic...
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I don't know about all areas but many areas allow for multiple violations on one cite. If that is the case where you were cited, it appears to me that he wanted you to have two separate cites that would show up individually. Possibly more points. Hard to say for sure.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    In your original post you state the tickets had been taken care of, and your latest post talks about how much it would've cost if you had to pay them.

How did you get out of paying the fines?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    In your original post you state the tickets had been taken care of, and your latest post talks about how much it would've cost if you had to pay them.

How did you get out of paying the fines?
    It was cheaper, in both immediate costs - paying the fines - and in longer term costs - points on my license and insurance increases - to hire an attorney. Both tickets were dismissed by the judge.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Gotcha, thanks. I was hoping something like that was the answer, instead of having them 'fixed' by a relative/friend in a position to help.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I'm not sure about FL, but in Delaware State Troopers do a whole lot more than write traffic tickets. We investigate all robberies, murders, criminal incidents, execute warrants, etc. along with traffic duties.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Gotcha, thanks. I was hoping something like that was the answer, instead of having them 'fixed' by a relative/friend in a position to help.
    Nope, I was wrong. I may have thought his behavior was somewhat odd - the way I was pulled over - and unprofessional - the way he spoke to me at the stop, - but I did break the law and it was my responsibility to deal with it in a straight-forward manner.

Good for you.

Links