What's the country coming too?

This is a discussion on What's the country coming too? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by AlexHassin Where am I giving up anything? In fact I like having distinct communities and the fact that there disappearing saddens me. ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 89

Thread: What's the country coming too?

  1. #16
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Where am I giving up anything?
    In fact I like having distinct communities and the fact that there disappearing saddens me.
    You're right I mis-spoke.

    My feeling is that people coming here need to become part of our society not the other way around. I am tired of people giving up their Americanism for some hyphenated immigrants.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array jackson85746's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    254
    Reminds me of Teddy Roosevelts speech that was posted on another thread. Sorry, I don't have the link. To paraphrase. We are a melting pot of a lot of different cultures. To be an American you must assimilate to the American way of life, speaking only ONE language. ENGLISH.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

  4. #18
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    What's the country coming too?
    That's what I keep thinking, and I've had it on my mind for quite a while now. I don't like it, and we're getting away from our principles and foundation. Proof of the sinking foundation is our current elected president. Legally, or illegally, this should have never happened if we were serious about patching any holes in the foundation. I'm afraid we'll never recover now. We need a contractor to set things straight now. The whole story? The country's becoming what we stand by and let it become while we whine about what's gone wrong in the past, but still yet stand by watching the downward spiral. One of these days, there will come the point of no return. In my opinion, we're very close to that now. Matter of fact, we're on the edge. There's always hope. The more that hope, the better for us all. illegitimi non carborundum

  5. #19
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    The same people who yell, "This is America, speak English or go home!" often barely have a grasp of the language themselves.
    Yeah, really. I often think it should be called "Englitch."
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  6. #20
    Senior Member Array RebelRabbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Smithfield NC
    Posts
    574
    You should read Roman History my friend. The Roman Army was almost completely made up of foreign mercenaries at the end of the Empire.

  7. #21
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    You should read Roman History my friend. The Roman Army was almost completely made up of foreign mercenaries at the end of the Empire.
    And most people like the color blue. What's your point?

  8. #22
    Member Array UnklFungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    You should read Roman History my friend. The Roman Army was almost completely made up of foreign mercenaries at the end of the Empire.
    Yep! Just before the fall.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

    Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

  9. #23
    Member Array charlie1826's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Going home soon????
    Posts
    255
    When I was in school all the letters that were sent home had an english and a spanish side. I thought this was a ridculous waste of time and money.
    As far as I can remember, the majority of America has spoken english so why shouldn't it be our national language? How is a society supposed to come together and bond and share ideas if they can't even understand one word the other is saying? I also hate having to skip past channels because they are in spanish, I know its petty but its annoying.
    If you immigrate to America and you feel that your language is a necessary part of your culture to keep with you, then speak it at home. The whole country should not have to cater to people that are unwilling to speak a language that the rest can understand. If I were to move to a different country I would learn to speak their language, not only to be able to communicate but out of respect for their country.

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array Tubby45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Making ammo.
    Posts
    3,047
    In France, they speak French. In Germany, they speak German. Should America be any different? If I go back to visit Mexico I am expected to speak Spanish. That's how they roll. When in Rome.....

    *I tend to say we speak American as the dialect is different than European English as well as spelling.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

  11. #25
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    You guys are missing the real point. How can the Army train someone that doesn't speak English? Do they get special treatment? Even worse, what happens when they get to a line unit, how many people will get killed when this person doesn't follow orders given in English? Do platoon leaders and NCOs have to be bilingual now?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  12. #26
    Member Array tqu9047's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    106
    I wish I could post a pic to show what me and mine think of this.


    Tim

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,886
    Quote Originally Posted by tqu9047 View Post
    I wish I could post a pic to show what me and mine think of this.


    Tim
    Amen! Just goes to show you that this "kinder and gentler" nation that we live in caters to everyone but legal, decent gun owners. Hmmmm, maybe we can get together and claim that we're a minority group that would like to be catered to. Here's our motto ---->
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

  14. #28
    Senior Member Array boscobeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    upstate new york
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Yep! Just before the fall.
    "How the "Roman" army came to be composed of barbarian troops of an often renegade nature is in many ways the story of Rome's fall. It is the story of a people who seemingly lost confidence in themselves, a government that lost control of its army, and an army that lost control of its soldiers. It is a story of ambition, but also of miscalculation and finally failure." Histnet

    OMO


    bosco

  15. #29
    Member Array celticredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Amelia Virginia
    Posts
    383
    Forgetting the whole National guard ad thing, it probably was a mistake. I used to work at a TV station, so I know things do get aired by mistake. But, making this country a conglomerate or persons not required to know, speak, read and write one common language costs everyone money. How much does it cost to print every set of instructions in 4 or more different languages and who do you think pays for the extra costs? I'm all for different ethnic groups or nationalities, including Native Americans, being allowed to keep and converse in their native languages. After all, isn't that a form of freedom of speech?. However, since the majority in this nation seem to be English speaking(or at least the Americanized version) , everyone should learn the language. If for some reason, congress or King Obama decrees that our national language is Spanish, Chinese, German, Navajo, or any other languageI will do my best to learn it. Maybe we should have Navajo as our national language. After all, they were here first.

  16. #30
    Member Array 09Bowtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St.Louis,Mo
    Posts
    119
    Everybody in America has had families that were immigrants at some point but they had to learn to speak ENGLISH. Today I don't know if it is laziness or just stubbornness to not speak English. It is like we have to bend over backwards nowadays to appease people that are new immigrants for fear of the people scream discrimination. My wife worked at a bank while in college and the bank had to hire Bosnian speaking people to deal with the customers. Once there were two men in line speaking to each other and of course my wife couldn’t understand them but one of the translators knew what they said and told my wife, she kicked them out of the bank. They were making rude comments about my wife’s chest and what they would do with her.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What country??
    By fernset in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: February 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM
  2. Your Country ?
    By Natureboypkr in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: February 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
  3. No Country For Old Men
    By EW3 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
  4. Coming to America...the many danger country!
    By BushidoMarine in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 4th, 2007, 03:11 AM