What's the country coming too? - Page 3

What's the country coming too?

This is a discussion on What's the country coming too? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, if people don't have to work to reap the benefits of our country, then why should they have to go through the trouble of ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 89

Thread: What's the country coming too?

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,044
    Well, if people don't have to work to reap the benefits of our country, then why should they have to go through the trouble of learning a language too? We working people have it all under control. In fact, after seeing my taxes this year, I included California as a dependant on my filing.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.


  2. #32
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    Germany has four official languages. The French are the Language Nazis of the world, with an official language review board that must approve any new word as "officially" french (e.g. "internet" is forbidden) before it can enter the official lexicon. (And, as an aside, I never thought I'd see the day when a DCer held up France as an ideal for the US to emulate...)

    Many, many countries have multiple official languages, many more have no official language at all.

    The fact that so many here (and elsewhere, to be fair) who rant and rave about others learning English a) have a shallow grasp of the language themselves and b) know nothing about any other language in the world...well, parece um pouco hipócrita para mim. And no, that isn't Spanish. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  3. #33
    VIP Member Array mprp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,044
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Germany has four official languages. The French are the Language Nazis of the world, with an official language review board that must approve any new word as "officially" french (e.g. "internet" is forbidden) before it can enter the official lexicon. (And, as an aside, I never thought I'd see the day when a DCer held up France as an ideal for the US to emulate...)

    Many, many countries have multiple official languages, many more have no official language at all.

    The fact that so many here (and elsewhere, to be fair) who rant and rave about others learning English a) have a shallow grasp of the language themselves and b) know nothing about any other language in the world...well, parece um pouco hipócrita para mim. And no, that isn't Spanish. :)
    I don't think anyone is saying that people should have the highest degree from a University. However, they should know enough to get by at least. And if you came to me in a job interview with parece um pouco hipócrita para mim, I should be able to say sorry, you can't work in my technical support department. Our customers are in the U.S.A..
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

    Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    These opinions seem to raise the question...'what does it mean to be a FREE country?

    My solution would be to make English a requirement on getting your citizenship. Once you're an American you can speak any language you want. You can not force people to speak English.

    Don't forget...these ethnic groups are consumers also. Capitalists will want to cater to these groups. For example, if I were trying to expand my insurance business you can be damned sure I'm going to advertise in Chinese if I want to get the business in Chinatown or Italian in 'Little Italy' and so on. This can be news paper or TV. As a Capitalist American I am fortunate to be able to exercise this freedom of speech.

    America is feeling some growing pains. By opening our doors to freedom we allow many diverse groups of people to enter. They are different than the original settlers of this country. They don't speak the same, they don't look the same, they don't dress the same, they don't worship God the same.

    This is what it's like in a free country and it may be uncomfortable to adjust to these changes in culture. But I believe the worst thing you can do is to become a 'Hater' because things aren't the way they used to be. Times are changing and we need to adapt or you'll become a very unhappy person and will make everyone around you unhappy.

    I am darn happy to live in this great country and feel blessed every day. I don't let some occasional Spanish ads ruin my day or Chinese or Italian or German or....

    Glad to be an American!!

  5. #35
    Member Array MSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    414

    Back on topic

    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You guys are missing the real point. How can the Army train someone that doesn't speak English? Do they get special treatment? Even worse, what happens when they get to a line unit, how many people will get killed when this person doesn't follow orders given in English? Do platoon leaders and NCOs have to be bilingual now?
    Yes they have to speak english. No PLs, NCOs, etc do not have to be bilingual.

    AR 600-20 Army Command Policy
    4–13. Army language policy
    English is the operational language of the Army. Soldiers must maintain sufficient proficiency in English to perform
    their military duties. Their operational communications must be understood by everyone who has an official need to
    know their content, and, therefore, must normally be in English. However, commanders may not require Soldiers to use
    English unless such use is clearly necessary and proper for the performance of military functions. Accordingly,
    commanders may not require the use of English for personal communications that are unrelated to military functions.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

  6. #36
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    These opinions seem to raise the question...'what does it mean to be a FREE country?

    My solution would be to make English a requirement on getting your citizenship. Once you're an American you can speak any language you want. You can not force people to speak English.



    Don't forget...these ethnic groups are consumers also. Capitalists will want to cater to these groups. For example, if I were trying to expand my insurance business you can be damned sure I'm going to advertise in Chinese if I want to get the business in Chinatown or Italian in 'Little Italy' and so on. This can be news paper or TV. As a Capitalist American I am fortunate to be able to exercise this freedom of speech.

    America is feeling some growing pains. By opening our doors to freedom we allow many diverse groups of people to enter. They are different than the original settlers of this country. They don't speak the same, they don't look the same, they don't dress the same, they don't worship God the same.

    This is what it's like in a free country and it may be uncomfortable to adjust to these changes in culture. But I believe the worst thing you can do is to become a 'Hater' because things aren't the way they used to be. Times are changing and we need to adapt or you'll become a very unhappy person and will make everyone around you unhappy.

    I am darn happy to live in this great country and feel blessed every day. I don't let some occasional Spanish ads ruin my day or Chinese or Italian or German or....

    Glad to be an American!!
    1. You can force people to speak English. By refusing to deal with them if they don't.
    2.This is the problem, "catering" to a group.
    3. I don't need to "adjust" they do.
    4. I'm happy to live here also. Here being the U.S.A. not mexico, china, italy,germany,- America.

  7. #37
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,713
    Yes, America. Where the native language is..... Navaho? Deleware? English is an ADOPTED language here, no more native than is Italian or Mandarin.

    As for "adjusting," who is asking you to (gasp!) learn another language?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  8. #38
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yes, America. Where the native language is..... Navaho? Deleware? English is an ADOPTED language here, no more native than is Italian or Mandarin.

    As for "adjusting," who is asking you to (gasp!) learn another language?
    I was simply using his term. Gasp!

  9. #39
    Senior Member Array boatail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    va.
    Posts
    696
    Engish speaking people dominated those others, get over it. Following that line of thought, we should all be speaking Neandertal since they were the first bipeds walking around. I can't get over the fact that there are those who will argue this point. Which ethnic/regional/dialect will you choose? This is America, english language..learn it or go somewhere they speak the language you prefer.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    1. You can force people to speak English. By refusing to deal with them if they don't.
    2.This is the problem, "catering" to a group.
    3. I don't need to "adjust" they do.
    4. I'm happy to live here also. Here being the U.S.A. not mexico, china, italy,germany,- America.
    I'm not "catering" to anyone nor did I suggest we do.. I suggested that everyone be required to pass an English test upon citizen testing.

    You don't have to adjust to anything. Just be a little tolerant of different cultures. Just let them do their thing and you do yours. You seem unwilling to allow them the same freedom we so cherish. You don't want to hear their language...only yours. Do you want them to have your same Religion and beliefs also? Should they dress like you also?

    Do you really like a free country for all or just for natural born Americans? Restrictions should apply to other cultures?

    I enjoy different cultures and don't get mad when I hear a different language spoken. There is no getting around the fact that we are a multi-cultural country and will require some tolerance to those who are not exactly like us.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    My solution would be to make English a requirement on getting your citizenship. Once you're an American you can speak any language you want. You can not force people to speak English.
    It used to be, the test was written only in English.

    For the any language group out there, nobody wants immigrants to lose the first language, just learn some of ours. I have a friend from California, his 16 y/o daughter can't get a job. Why???????????







    She can't speak Spanish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    Go to another country and demand that they provide all government documents and teach school in YOUR language, let me know how that works out for you.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin


    Previously known as "cjm5874"

  12. #42
    Senior Member Array gilraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    You don't have to adjust to anything. Just be a little tolerant of different cultures. Just let them do their thing and you do yours. ....There is no getting around the fact that we are a multi-cultural country and will require some tolerance to those who are not exactly like us.
    Ah, but to many people, especially on this board, that is a "liberull" attitude, and as such - verboten. We can't live and let live - it's un-American! We have to force everyone into the white/middle-class/christian/english-speaking/heterosexual/conservative/republican straitjacket.

    /sarcasm
    Last edited by gilraen; June 14th, 2010 at 11:07 PM.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

  13. #43
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    That's not my post.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  14. #44
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I'm not "catering" to anyone nor did I suggest we do.. I suggested that everyone be required to pass an English test upon citizen testing.

    You don't have to adjust to anything. Just be a little tolerant of different cultures. Just let them do their thing and you do yours. You seem unwilling to allow them the same freedom we so cherish. You don't want to hear their language...only yours. Do you want them to have your same Religion and beliefs also? Should they dress like you also?

    Do you really like a free country for all or just for natural born Americans? Restrictions should apply to other cultures?

    I enjoy different cultures and don't get mad when I hear a different language spoken. There is no getting around the fact that we are a multi-cultural country and will require some tolerance to those who are not exactly like us.
    Why can't you see that people coming to a new country should want to blend in, not expect the country to change to them? That's what is happening here. You speak of tolerance, that works in both directions my friend. They are coming to a foreign country to live, maybe adopting the customs and cultures of the host country wouldn't be such a bad idea.

  15. #45
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,704
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Granted our ancestors came from a variety of foreign nations. However the original 13 colonies, from which our nation grew, were English and spoke English. All our most important founding documents, The Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, etc., are in English. All our founding fathers were of English origin and spoke English. The constitution of every state is in English. Lastly, in the late 1980's the Senate did pass a resolution declaring English to be our national language.
    Our nation is a melting pot, but until recently everyone in the pot learned or tried their best to learn English. I agree with 21bubba...sprechen Sie Englisch oder kommen Sie heraus!
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    i understand enough of the dynamics to know that I completely disagree with you. This is America, speak English or go home.
    [QUOTE=jackson85746;1659151]Reminds me of Teddy Roosevelts speech that was posted on another thread. Sorry, I don't have the link. To paraphrase. We are a melting pot of a lot of different cultures. To be an American you must assimilate to the American way of life, speaking only ONE language. ENGLISH.[/QUOTE

    ^^^^I'm definitely in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Even if it is true, it doesn't mean a hill of beans.

    We need an official language like we need an official marsupial.

    ^^^^^^^^^NOT^^^^This one^^^^^^^^^^^


    I say,speak English or go home.
    If you want to speak another language, thats fine, but if you expect to conduct business, or have a job, speak english, and save the other stuff for home or your Distinctive neighborhoods.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

    M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What country??
    By fernset in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: February 25th, 2009, 07:54 PM
  2. Your Country ?
    By Natureboypkr in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: February 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM
  3. No Country For Old Men
    By EW3 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
  4. Coming to America...the many danger country!
    By BushidoMarine in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 4th, 2007, 04:11 AM