What's the country coming too?

This is a discussion on What's the country coming too? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I caught the end of the NCAA track meet yesterday when I tuned into CBS to watch the third round of the PGA tournament. The ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 89

Thread: What's the country coming too?

  1. #1
    Member Array celticredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Amelia Virginia
    Posts
    383

    What's the country coming too?

    I caught the end of the NCAA track meet yesterday when I tuned into CBS to watch the third round of the PGA tournament. The track meet ran long, but finally ended after the men's 4X400 relay race. Then CBS went to commercial. It was a "National Guard" promo. What made it interesting was that it was done entirely in Spanish. I thought we were still, officially an English speaking nation. This is taking political correctness a bit too far. It didn't even have English sub titles.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    OKC; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,750
    OUR Natl. Guard?!?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array JoJoGunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    2,874
    Maybe the commercial was intended for Tele Mundo, the "Spanish" speaking channel and was inadvertently put out on CBS.

    We are a predominately English speaking country, have been for years, but it is has never been officially recognized as our National language. At one point in our early past history, people came from several European nations bringing their language and customs.

    The Dutch settled in what is now New York State and NYC was first called New Amsterdam. They spoke the Dutch language. Many German speaking people settled in Pennsylvania and were called "Pennsylvania Dutch" however, the word was a corruption of the word Deutsch which is German for "German". Swiss speaking people settled in Maryland and eventually ended up going to Wisconsin. The French language has been spoken in Louisana for many years because France had claimed it and the vast territory we now know as the Louisana Purchase.

    It was only after the United States was born and well into the mid 1800's did most of the colonial languages go by the wayside and English became the predominate language.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

    The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

  5. #4
    Member Array WvHiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    310
    Almost all of my ancestors were immigrants. I remember my great grandmother; she only spoke Italian. My great grandfather spoke enough English to get by. People today get so fired up about language. The same people who yell, "This is America, speak English or go home!" often barely have a grasp of the language themselves. I don't think a lot of people honestly understand the dynamics of our collective history.

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Almost all of my ancestors were immigrants. I remember my great grandmother; she only spoke Italian. My great grandfather spoke enough English to get by. People today get so fired up about language. The same people who yell, "This is America, speak English or go home!" often barely have a grasp of the language themselves. I don't think a lot of people honestly understand the dynamics of our collective history.
    i understand enough of the dynamics to know that I completely disagree with you. This is America, speak English or go home.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The western edge of The Confederacy
    Posts
    2,198
    Granted our ancestors came from a variety of foreign nations. However the original 13 colonies, from which our nation grew, were English and spoke English. All our most important founding documents, The Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, etc., are in English. All our founding fathers were of English origin and spoke English. The constitution of every state is in English. Lastly, in the late 1980's the Senate did pass a resolution declaring English to be our national language.
    Our nation is a melting pot, but until recently everyone in the pot learned or tried their best to learn English. I agree with 21bubba...sprechen Sie Englisch oder kommen Sie heraus!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Lastly, in the late 1980's the Senate did pass a resolution declaring English to be our national language.
    Even if it is true, it doesn't mean a hill of beans.

    We need an official language like we need an official marsupial.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Even if it is true, it doesn't mean a hill of beans.

    We need an official language like we need an official marsupial.
    Out of curiosity, what's your point? Press 1 for English 2 for whatever.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Array AlexHassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    the North East
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    All our most important founding documents, The Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, etc., are in English. All our founding fathers were of English origin and spoke English.
    Werenít some of the earliest drafts in German, and wasnít there consideration to write in Latin or French which use to be the diplomatic languages. also most if not all of the founding fathers spoke just English. I believe that English is a nice language to bond all people in the country together but I donít disagree with different communities having a different primary language.
    Last edited by AlexHassin; June 13th, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: sp

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,361
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Granted our ancestors came from a variety of foreign nations. However the original 13 colonies, from which our nation grew, were English and spoke English. All our most important founding documents, The Declaration of Independence, The Bill of Rights, etc., are in English. All our founding fathers were of English origin and spoke English. The constitution of every state is in English. Lastly, in the late 1980's the Senate did pass a resolution declaring English to be our national language.
    Our nation is a melting pot, but until recently everyone in the pot learned or tried their best to learn English. I agree with 21bubba...sprechen Sie Englisch oder kommen Sie heraus!
    Estoy totalmente de acuerdo.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Werenít some of the earliest drafts in German, and wasnít there consideration to write in Latin or French which use to be the diplomatic languages. also most if not all of the founding fathers spoke just English. I believe that English is a nice language to bond all people in the country together but I donít disagree with different communities having a different primary language.
    What else are you willing to give up?

  13. #12
    Ex Member
    Array 1 old 0311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    i understand enough of the dynamics to know that I completely disagree with you. This is America, speak English or go home.

    Really. My ancestors HAD to learn English to work here, and the kids HAD to learn to attend school. Somewhere along the line that became WAY too much to ask.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array AlexHassin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    the North East
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    What else are you willing to give up?
    Where am I giving up anything?
    In fact I like having distinct communities and the fact that there disappearing saddens me.
    Last edited by AlexHassin; June 13th, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: clarity

  15. #14
    Member Array beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Germany for now
    Posts
    139
    i can't even believe this is an argument. practically ever country has a national language. why do we have to be different? why should we appeal to the rest of the world when they don't appeal to us. the world hates us. so BLEEP them. so what if some early drafts were in different languages, so what if they considered other languages. they chose English.

    back to the original topic though, how can they advertise in spanish when you are required to write, speak, and understand English to be in the military?

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array hogdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    N/E Florida
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    i understand enough of the dynamics to know that I completely disagree with you. This is America, speak English or go home.
    Agree 100%
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE


    IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What country??
    By fernset in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: February 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM
  2. Your Country ?
    By Natureboypkr in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: February 1st, 2008, 05:22 AM
  3. No Country For Old Men
    By EW3 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 19th, 2007, 10:31 AM
  4. Coming to America...the many danger country!
    By BushidoMarine in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 4th, 2007, 03:11 AM