English/Grammar Lessons Not Needed!

This is a discussion on English/Grammar Lessons Not Needed! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter pple shud try 2 rembr that u r not sposed 2 txt messg on r dc 4um Because we DO get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English/Grammar Lessons Not Needed!

VIP Member

Very well done QK

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    pple shud try 2 rembr that u r not sposed 2 txt messg on r dc 4um

Because we DO get that also.
    Very well done. :)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    You folks should be made aware of the fact that some threads put up by members are actually initially so bad that they are for all intent and purpose...totally unreadable.

When they are the original post in the thread - I DO go in and run a Spell Check & and do a minimum amount of necessary correction.

In a lengthy post it's not at all unusual for there to be well over 50+ various assorted errors.

I'm (for sure) not "Gods Gift" to the English language but, at least folks can read what I type.

I agree with the OP of this thread that other members should not be slammed because their posts are not perfect.

The "flip side of the coin" is that members should at least put in a wee bit of effort to make sure that their typed thoughts and opinions can be grasped/understood by fellow forum members.

We really DO want to hear what you have to say but, we are not military code-breakers.

Language is a tool used to communicate our thoughts to others. I have read some posts where the poster not only condensed 10 paragraphs into 1, they managed to squeeze it into one long run-on sentence. I don't get my panties in a bunch over it, I just don't bother reading if there isn't some level of readability.

I have no problem with people interchanging to, two, and too; or there, their and they're; etc. Or with most grammar issues, or incorrect spelling. (That last sentence had horrible grammar.) But at some point it becomes too difficult to read some posts. If a person wants to become part of the discussion, there needs to be a minimum of effort on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We all make typos from time to time, but I have enjoyed 'correcting' those who try to make corrections of others.
    Those are the only times I mention spelling or grammar. The irony is too rich to pass up.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I've seen some pretty bad grammer/spelling on our forum and NO, I've never corrected anyone. However we should realize that our postings are a reflection of ourselves to those nonshooters/noncarriers who happen to stumble across our site. I don't think we want to come across as uneducated neanderthals, thereby confirming all the inuendos/lies of the media's smear campaign. I'm sure I've commited my share of blunders, but I would encourage everyone to try their best. You never know who's reading our posting's.
    There, did I use / often enough?
    Excellent point. Let's not make the case for those who would portray us as illiterate yokels.

Hey Iím not just picking on English when I massacre it. Any language gets messed up in my inept hands. However if I make a major mistakes or use a word wrong I actually kind of appreciate it being pointed out because it improves my writing. I would hate to think that a mistake of mine makes me unintelligible.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Hey Iím not just picking on English when I massacre it. Any language gets messed up in my inept hands. However if I make a major mistakes or use a word wrong I actually kind of appreciate it being pointed out because it improves my writing. I would hate to think that a mistake of mine makes me unintelligible.
    You are not the problem.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Didn't you mean lose valuable contributions? Loose and lose have different meanings.

Sorry couldn't resist.

ok ok ok...where do I find the "popcorn" smiley???
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I hate to see spelling, punctuation and other errors, but I keep it to myself and either quit reading the post or have fun deciphering the intent.

BVut I jhave fat finghers.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.Ē
    Jeff Cooper

Can't we just all get along?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post

Sorry couldn't resist.
    Hey Super, where'd you find this one? I could put that right next to my CC Badge!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    It bothers me seeing "america" for some odd, quirky, reason...almost like some people are willing to sacrifice everything for their country and they are willing to put their lives on the line for the U.S.A. and others can't even bother to hit the "Shift" key to CAP the name of their country...it's America.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Why do I care you ask, I'm just another member who doesn't feel the need to degrade others for their typing skills or grammar or lack of and possibly loose a valuable contributions due to your inability to control your fingers and quite frankly, I just dislike jerks and bullies.
    While part of the motivation of some of these sorts of posts does come from the simple goal of aiding communication via its improvement, you've got a point: most of it does come from some innate need to bully and knock others. It's pointless when it degrades or derails a discussion, or when it (almost certainly) results in bad feelings and ill will ... as it nearly always does.

Good suggestion: take it elsewhere.

Momma was right: Lacking something nice to say, and lacking something that can't be said nicely, then one is almost surely better off by not saying anything at all. Probably better for the discussions and the whole point of being on DC.com, no matter how you slice it.

Thanks for the friendly reminder, Guardian.

It bothers me seeing "america" for some odd, quirky, reason...almost like some people are willing to sacrifice everything for their country and they are willing to put their lives on the line for the U.S.A. and others can't even bother to hit the "Shift" key to CAP the name of their country...it's America.
    And yet, the communication is still made ... which is the point of the exercise.

(Heck, I got out of the habit of adding "[sic]" notations, when it was pointed out the denigrating nature of it was tantamount to a slap upside the head and was being taken that way. "Sic," indeed. Point taken. Now, those snotty, supposedly superior little "contributions" are a thing of the past. Good riddance to them, mine though they were. Why? Contributions they were not. 'Nuff said.)

* For the closet (and not-so-closet) pedants in the crowd (and I am one, given my library selections), an interesting book on the topic of punctuation and grammar 'til you drop is the tome: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, by Lynn Truss. Enjoy. I have, with my copy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I've seen some pretty bad grammer/spelling on our forum and NO, I've never corrected anyone. However we should realize that our postings are a reflection of ourselves to those nonshooters/noncarriers who happen to stumble across our site. I don't think we want to come across as uneducated neanderthals, thereby confirming all the inuendos/lies of the media's smear campaign. I'm sure I've commited my share of blunders, but I would encourage everyone to try their best. You never know who's reading our postings.
    There, did I use / often enough?
    I couldn't agree more. We're painted as "illiterate rednecks" enough as it is, we certainly don't need to further the stereotype. Each of us needs to be a good representative of responsible, educated, well mannered gun community at every opportunity we get.

While I'm sure that there are those of the anti-gun persuasion who read here and find things to ridicule us about, I'm FAR more concerned about the individual who may be "on the fence" and visiting the forum to learn more. I certainly wouldn't want them walking away thinking "Wow, gun owners really ARE a bunch of illiterate rednecks."

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    A good point my friend. We also don't want to come across as a site full of pompous people who are unwilling to see past our noses, thus comfirming the other side of the media's/brady's campaign against us as being a bunch of self absorbed gun toting crazies. We want to portray ourselves as ordinary Americans who want just what's best for ourselves and this country.
    confirming

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links