English/Grammar Lessons Not Needed!

This is a discussion on English/Grammar Lessons Not Needed! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by QKShooter It bothers me seeing "america" for some odd, quirky, reason...almost like some people are willing to sacrifice everything for their country ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: English/Grammar Lessons Not Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It bothers me seeing "america" for some odd, quirky, reason...almost like some people are willing to sacrifice everything for their country and they are willing to put their lives on the line for the U.S.A. and others can't even bother to hit the "Shift" key to CAP the name of their country...it's America.
    Thanks QK, that's one more OCD trait for me to pick up.To be honest I'd never noticed that before, but now that you've mentioned it I will see it, and that will bother me......oh well....
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

2. Remove Ads

I only point out real hilarious mistakes.
    Hitler once said, “The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerers who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.”

It bothers me seeing "america" for some odd, quirky, reason...almost like some people are willing to sacrifice everything for their country and they are willing to put their lives on the line for the U.S.A. and others can't even bother to hit the "Shift" key to CAP the name of their country...it's America.
    Sorry OP, this is an exception for me. I will chime in on that one. All others I will leave alone as I am also not perfect.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

1 |-,@\/3 ^0 1|)34 vv7|= U|2 +41|<1^' '|30U7

really though... i completely agree that correcting basic grammer/spelling mistakes isnt appropriate for such a forum. im sure i have tons of mistakes in mine all the time. mainly b/c i type from work, where i dont have a spellcheck installed (stupid IT not letting me have anything). I type fast, type badly, and really am pretty crappy at spelling anyways. I type well thought out gramatically correct perfectly spelled papers and such all the time... just not here.
    Having said that, if your grammer or spelling is so bad that i actually dont know what you are saying.. then yea, of course a 'huh? leern 2 tiep' responce is fine.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I still like Hugo Weaving's soliloqy from "V for Vendetta."

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    While part of the motivation of some of these sorts of posts does come from the simple goal of aiding communication via its improvement, you've got a point: most of it does come from some innate need to bully and knock others. It's pointless when it degrades or derails a discussion, or when it (almost certainly) results in bad feelings and ill will ... as it nearly always does.

Momma was right: Lacking something nice to say, and lacking something that can't be said nicely, then one is almost surely better off by not saying anything at all. Probably better for the discussions and the whole point of being on DC.com, no matter how you slice it.

Thanks for the friendly reminder, Guardian.

And yet, the communication is still made ... which is the point of the exercise.

:
    condensed quote...well stated...all points...

if we understand what the person meant it should be a non issue...

another thing is the clip vs magazine debate...get over it...a simple correction isnt bad...but are you really having that hard of a time understanding what the guy is trying to relate?...we get it...get over it...

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    ok ok ok...where do I find the "popcorn" smiley???

Feel free to copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by 007BondJames View Post
    I only point out real hilarious mistakes.
    "really," not "real."

[dang, where's my badge???]
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Administrator
    I am guilty of using these dots....in some sentences and ocasionally these --- dashes.
    Once my Wife told me that I was probably a TELEGRAPH OPERATOR in a past life.

... I was probably a TELEGRAPH OPERATOR in a past life.
    Yelling, again, QK?

How many times does we gots to told you?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some of us try very hard to articulate what we mean. It can be hard with a learning disability and very embarrassing when you get it wrong. Writting for me has always been difficult. What is in the brain does not always come out the way you want it to. How would you like it if you put alot of effert in writing something and then have it torn apart?

VIP Member
    President Andy Jackson of Tennessee, saddle-maker, teacher, lawyer, commander of the American forces at the Battle of New Orleans, statesman ... crooked politician..., etc was once well quoted as say'n, "Hit's a poor feller what can only thank o' one way to spelt a word."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I ignore stuff like that, but some posts get very hard to read and then you're not communicating. If a person knows they have a problem, it would solve problems on both sides to type the post in Word, spell/grammar check it, then copy/paste to the forum. Just a suggestion.

jfl
    I agree with the OP to a certain point.
    Let the unintentional mistakes go.
    However, I have a dislike of some of the "texting" abbreviations, like "cuz", "b4", etc.
    I don't even use them in text messages.
    Actually, I often skip these posts.
    I like to see "I" capitalized as well as the name of persons or countries.
    I think a liberal use of the <Enter> key makes long posts easier to read.
    But that's because I am an old guy; to each his own, and I am not coming here to play the grammar teacher
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links