Going to my first gun show

This is a discussion on Going to my first gun show within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Will be attending my first gun show this weekend. What should I expect to see other than tables of things to buy ? Are gunsmiths ...

Thread: Going to my first gun show

Going to my first gun show

Will be attending my first gun show this weekend. What should I expect to see other than tables of things to buy ? Are gunsmiths usually available ? I would think that CC is allowed. A little help please.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Alot of individuals will take guns to the shows to sell them as well. Many times you can get a better deal finding the right individual at gun shows than you can buying from the dealers at the tables.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KY41091 View Post
    Will be attending my first gun show this weekend. What should I expect to see other than tables of things to buy ? Are gunsmiths usually available ? I would think that CC is allowed. A little help please.

Thanks
    No c.c., generally no gunsmiths. I'm assuming you're going to one in Ky.?

yes, Lexington.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KY41091 View Post
    yes, Lexington.
    I say go with a open mind and no expectations. You'll likely find no bargains or one of a kinds. Think of it like the Richwood flea market with a few more guns.

In part, it depends on the size of the show. I had been to a few in CT which were quite modest, with mostly collectors selling off stuff in order to trade up.

Then I moved to AZ. The first gun show I went to - at the fairgrounds in Phoenix - had five enormous buildings filled, and although I started out like a kid in a candy shop, at the end of the day it was sensory overload. I had a headache and just didn't feel right.

I quickly learned to go with specifics in mind. One time is was an SKS, another time, I was looking for a good used Single Six. More recently, I go to buy bulk ammo if the price is right.

It seems when I'm focused on just a couple of things, I am more likely to come across "serendipitous" finds... but that's nothing you can count on.

In general - and I'm painting with a very broad brush here - there are better deals to be found on guns in the gun stores and sometimes pawn shops. Those vendors count on the large number of untutored buyers showing up at the shows and getting their wares in front of the largest number of eyes possible. Occasionally I've found some good deals a couple of hours before the show ends, especially if sales have been slow.

My advice for your first show is to bring your eyes and ears and not a lot of cash, unless you are on a quest for that one specific piece for your collection and you've done your research to know in advance what the going prices are. Beyond that, soak it all in and enjoy yourself!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    My experience is that they really vary from state/region to state/region. We had fun at them in Florida, but not so much in other places.

A good place to look for collectible stuff and military memoribilia. (not my thing)

VIP Member
    If you are looking for something specific be sure to research prices online to have an idea as to what to pay, also be prepared to dicker with the seller offer at least 10% to 20% less than the asking price, unless it is already a fair price I rarely pay the asking price.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

they really vary from state/region to state/region. most that i have been to in the last several years were a waste of money. high prices on everything, lots of knifes, socks, and beef jerky. but i would go so you can see for yourself. you can have fun just walking around watching the "rambo's" and "know it all's".
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I quit going to gun shows about 6-7 years ago...total waste of my time.
    But you can get a deal on 'badges'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What I love about gunshows in my area is that I can by 7.62X54R of all kinds really cheap, find all sorts of cleaning supplies, and other misc parts, some hard to find, some not and other stuff cheap also. However, there are a ton of idiots to be had. Some well meaning, and lots not so well meaning. Oh, and lots and lots of bad advice, too.On the plus side, you can meet some really nice, knowledgeable people as well.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    deal with em if you want to buy...in our area it seems the prices are higher at the shows than in the local gun stores...but i have gotten some of my best deals by flashing cash and telling em what i'll pay for what i want...the worst they can say is no...its not like you have to sit at the dinner table with them...

Ooooh! Beef Jerky time!!!
    A lot of shows will have politically incorrect publications for sale. There will be jerky and some leather goods and sometimes coin dealers as well.
    If you are looking for a great deal, don't hold your breath. As others have said you might do better buying from another shopper than from one of the vendors. Know exactly what you want and how much you can get it for elsewhere. When you factor in the admission and parking and gas you might well do better shopping on line or at a local shop. Also you usually get a better deal if you have cash instead of using a credit card. If a vendor wont knock off the 3% or so they have to pay to the credit card companies when you offer cash I would just walk away.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

thanks for your replys, sounds like a day to walk around and just observe....

Links