5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

This is a discussion on 5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I shot a stray dog in my backyard once using a rag wrapped over the end of the barrel on my .22. A LOT quieter ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I shot a stray dog in my backyard once using a rag wrapped over the end of the barrel on my .22. A LOT quieter than a pellet gun. Gotta try that plastic soda bottle on the barrel one day.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

My newly carrying friend asked me, Do you carry +1? I asked, is there any other way? I said it's not like in the movies, your not going to have time to cock the slide before using it.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Wait... do you mean to tell me that I cannot make a car explode by shooting it? W_T_F_???? Thats it! Take my guns, I do not want them any more!!!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Sure you can make a car explode by shooting it - so long as you shoot it with an RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Sure you can make a car explode by shooting it - so long as you shoot it with an RPG.
    +1
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

What about when shooting a bad guy once at center mass, he's totally blown away by the impact. (flying through windows, walls, doors)

I WANT THAT KIND OF AMMO!!!

Speaking of doors... don't you just love when they can kick down a door so easily on the first try? OMG!! If it was that easy... why even bother having a door??
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

VIP Member
    Interior hollow core doors are pretty susceptible to the ol' "foot key," if you hit 'em right. Exterior or solid core doors in a good frame, with a good lock - that's another story. :)

But yeah, all of these (and more) are common - and a common source of minor annoyance - in Hollywood. "Lost," one of my favorite guilty pleasures, is INSANE with the amount of clicking and clacking that goes on any time anyone so much as looks at a gun. Apparently, the island makes all firearms go clicksnickclack when you first touch it, when you draw it, when you raise it to your shoulder, when you point it at something, when you lower it, and when you talk about it around the campfire later. It drives me NUTS, and I'm generally to the point where I can ignore the incredibly common firearms mistakes in movies/TV.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Interior hollow core doors are pretty susceptible to the ol' "foot key," if you hit 'em right. Exterior or solid core doors in a good frame, with a good lock - that's another story. :)

But yeah, all of these (and more) are common - and a common source of minor annoyance - in Hollywood. "Lost," one of my favorite guilty pleasures, is INSANE with the amount of clicking and clacking that goes on any time anyone so much as looks at a gun. Apparently, the island makes all firearms go clicksnickclack when you first touch it, when you draw it, when you raise it to your shoulder, when you point it at something, when you lower it, and when you talk about it around the campfire later. It drives me NUTS, and I'm generally to the point where I can ignore the incredibly common firearms mistakes in movies/TV.

Now that you mention it -

+1!!!!
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I shot a stray dog in my backyard once using a rag wrapped over the end of the barrel on my .22. A LOT quieter than a pellet gun. Gotta try that plastic soda bottle on the barrel one day.
    That would be manufacturing a suppressor without BATF approval...10 years/$250K fines.

In other words...don't.

I read CRACKED MAGAZINE as a kid.

Wow...those were myths!!! How my Truths have crashed and burned!
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Distinguished Member
    Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive always carried in condition three. A USMS deputy carries in condition three? Well, you could always tell when the fight (/ Fugitive flight) scene was starting.

At least, after he slipped and lost his gun to Harrison Ford, he pulled a BUG. Didn't have any reason to rack it 'cause by then the fugitive had flown. It's the big, dam-dive scene. Anybody remember Tommy's racking that BUG?

And, on another movie, it's not a silencer unless it goes, "Phewt".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Whoever cataloged these "myths" isn't too well informed, especially about supressors. He's wrong if he thinks a silencer is just a "metal tube". They are scientifically engineered devices containing baffles, packing material and heat absorbing elements.
    If he doesn't think they are effective, he's never heard one. Once I attended a LEO seminar and witnessed a supressed MAC-10 fired semi-auto, all you could hear was the bolt moving back and forth. A supressed Ruger Mk II pistol and 10/22 rifle both sounded like a BB gun. I gained a whole new respect for silencers.
    One thing this writer should have pointed out, since he had a picture of it, is the myth of the silenced revolver.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Another myth--a bullet hole through an airplane's fuselage will cause everything to be vacuumed out of the plane by hurricane-force winds for the next 10 minutes, until the aircraft falls apart in mid-air. Thanks, Goldfinger!
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links