Working for idiots - Page 2

Working for idiots

This is a discussion on Working for idiots within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You are NOT alone... I have a guy that works for me that drives me nuts trying to prove how smart he is by making ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You are NOT alone... I have a guy that works for me that drives me nuts trying to prove how smart he is by making a jerk of himself. He defys the laws of science trying to prove himself right no matter what the issue. He is slowly weeding himself out of employment.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    The philosophy I've taken here lately is go to work, do my job, don't say much, collect my paycheck and go home satisfied that I did the best I could that day and actually produced something. I know that will show in the end.

If my supervisor and co-workers are going to make idiots of themselves to the people up at HQ, it'll show eventually, and I think it already is. I was trained by people who did this job for 10+ years, and they all thought I should have been the supervisor because of how I handled things, and how sharp I was. When ever a problem arises at work, I'll give my 2 cents on the issue (the correct mil-spec way, the way I was trained) and if the supervisor wants to do it another way, I just keep my mouth shut and let him make a fool of himself to the higher ups, even after my warnings that it has to be done XYZ way due to military standards or specifications.

It's all I can do anymore. I'll make a note, or contact one of the buyers up at HQ and explain my thought on the matter and what should be done. 9 times out of 10, they agree with me... I do it to cover my butt should the fecal mater hit the rotary oscillator later on. I don't want blood on my hands when they mess up. The people up at HQ are beginning to realize that I am only doing what I am told to do and not doing it because I'm an idiot that has no common sense.

Maybe it'll pay off one day

Notes. If it's not written down it did not happen. It's saved my case in a state job before. And nearly ruined my bosses career when I left. Seems HR was very interested in the notes detailing why I was leaving.

But right now I feel you pain. I told my boss not to do something 6 months ago. They did it. 2 months later I am there covering for them. They did it again. And now want to make a back room deal with me to cover them again. Why they don't understand that noone will do the job in question for the money it offers is beyond me. Instead of fixing it by adding some work and money to it. They just seem to hope it works out. I have half a mind to take a new run just to see them scramble! It's not brain science or rocket surgery. It's trucking.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I need some advice from some older more experienced folks here. I have a simple question really... How do you work for an idiot? Better yet, how do you work with idiots?

Some days at work I can feel really

We have 5 people on our team including the supervisor. I would consider all of them below average on the intelligence scale. They can do their jobs, but explaining the intricacies of technology to them is like talking to the nearest brick wall. For example... one day I told my supervisor my voicemail wasn't working on my phone, I asked him to contact the phone company or IT to have it fixed because all I was getting was a busy signal when I dialed it.

Now you all know voicemail is not tied to the physical phone directly, it's tied to the phone number, and no matter what phone is plugged into the wall you still have the same phone number, thus the same voicemail. They said "Did you try a new phone"?

I said it can't be the phone, it's voicemail... I explained my reasoning about how the voicemail is tied to the phone number etc... Some others chimed in and they all agreed that it still had to be the physical phone... I finally just gave up

My supervisor went and got a new phone and told me to plug it in. They all seemed shocked when the new phone didn't work as well. I was right to begin with, but arguing with 4 idiots who didn't have the slightest clue about voicemail, it appeared to them that I was the idiot. The point is because they all agreed, I had to be the wrong one...

How do you deal with that?
    This isn't the only thing that's happened either... I'd probably crash the server with my stories.
    Ha! It sounds like the government to me. Democracy at it's finest. You don't deal with it. You ignore stupid people, or you don't, and it bites you in the butt. The only way to deal with terminally stupid people is terminally, and unfortunately, that is illegal I'm afraid.

They reproduce like rabbits. There's no getting rid of them any time soon.

I'm also a firm believer in evolution or rather, de-evolution. People get stupider every generation it seems. It's all genetics really. The smart people genes are being diluted and the stupid people genes are combining like a terrible virus.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    How about renting Office Space video, then you can be visualizing which character best fits the office mate next time you have a problem.

"Yeaaaaaaaaah, uh-huh. Okay then" as you saunter off with the coffee mug. It would be really cool to do this with paisley suspenders.

Move up the latter. Try to make partner, manager, owner, CEO, just move up the latter.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    Make yourself indispensable

P. S. Don't go home and kick the dog.
    If you're indispensable, you'll never get promoted.

If you can't kick the dog, what is it for? JK!

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    How about renting Office Space video, then you can be visualizing which character best fits the office mate next time you have a problem.

"Yeaaaaaaaaah, uh-huh. Okay then" as you saunter off with the coffee mug. It would be really cool to do this with paisley suspenders.
    Just make sure you turn in those TPS reports.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Try this one on for size:

Wife: This recipe calls for a third less than 2 cups. (This is the point where I enter a NO WIN situation) That means 1 2/3 cups, right?

Me: No, a third less than 2 cups is 1 1/3 cups.

Wife: No, if you take a third out it is 1 2/3 cups.

Me: Is it a third less total volume, or a third less cups?

Wife: Can't you just answer the question?

Me: I did, but you didn't get the answer you wanted. (Yes I am stupid)

Wife: The recipe says a third less. It's not complicated.

And on and on and on like Who's on First. I could be a world class comedian if I just transcribed conversations at home.

And for the record we still don't know which answer is correct!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

How do you deal with that? This isn't the only thing that's happened either... I'd probably crash the server with my stories.
    Consumption of alcoholic beverages works for me.

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

JoJoGunn is well acquainted with working with idiots of the highest degree.

Try working with a guy who is the Supervisor who cannot do the job I have done for decades. I have to teach him how to do the job so he can tell me how to do it, then forget everything I taught him the next day.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I cope by looking for the humor in stupid people rather than getting frustated. I chuckle almost the entire drive home. Try it, you will be happier and live longer.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It's worse if you work with smart people who are really stupid (high IQ, no common sense, and niave)...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Actually after thinking about it some more "American Mensa" magazine had an article on this about five years ago. Perhaps it is still available through their web site.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ok..i'll play...no skin off your back but if nothing else it should have been entertaining to you....

but...

even though "everybody knows the voice mail system doesnt have anything to do with the phone" there are phone systems that an improperly working phone or a phone that is not programmed improperly can have an negative effect on voice mail service....how would i know?...cause i got caught up in the same trap...i thought it had to go somewhere else but it turned out it was a phone issue...who knew?...

so be careful what you think you know because the one time you make an issue out of it you might end up being the idiot...all it cost was a bit of time and it probably wasnt worth the aggravation you managed to get out of it...

and ive heard all of the "there are those who can and those who lead" comments..usually right before i show them there is an easier way to do it and they thank me for saving them a boatload of time...

remember...you work for them...analyze that backwards sometime and figure out where you went wrong...instead of just tearing them down...thats a waste of your time...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    JoJoGunn is well acquainted with working with idiots of the highest degree.

Try working with a guy who is the Supervisor who cannot do the job I have done for decades. I have to teach him how to do the job so he can tell me how to do it, then forget everything I taught him the next day.
    Sounds just like my supervisor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links