Working for idiots

This is a discussion on Working for idiots within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need some advice from some older more experienced folks here. I have a simple question really... How do you work for an idiot? Better ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working for idiots

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Working for idiots

I need some advice from some older more experienced folks here. I have a simple question really... How do you work for an idiot? Better yet, how do you work with idiots?

Some days at work I can feel really

We have 5 people on our team including the supervisor. I would consider all of them below average on the intelligence scale. They can do their jobs, but explaining the intricacies of technology to them is like talking to the nearest brick wall. For example... one day I told my supervisor my voicemail wasn't working on my phone, I asked him to contact the phone company or IT to have it fixed because all I was getting was a busy signal when I dialed it.

Now you all know voicemail is not tied to the physical phone directly, it's tied to the phone number, and no matter what phone is plugged into the wall you still have the same phone number, thus the same voicemail. They said "Did you try a new phone"?

I said it can't be the phone, it's voicemail... I explained my reasoning about how the voicemail is tied to the phone number etc... Some others chimed in and they all agreed that it still had to be the physical phone... I finally just gave up

My supervisor went and got a new phone and told me to plug it in. They all seemed shocked when the new phone didn't work as well. I was right to begin with, but arguing with 4 idiots who didn't have the slightest clue about voicemail, it appeared to them that I was the idiot. The point is because they all agreed, I had to be the wrong one...

How do you deal with that? This isn't the only thing that's happened either... I'd probably crash the server with my stories.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Keep your head buddy. They reproduce and live among us and its only getting worse and worse. Common since and rationality is less common everyday.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    See the movie "Idiocracy."
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Okay I'll bite. Since I would assume I am one of those older folks you are seeking out. By the way these days I feel older than dirt, and more frustrated than trying to start up a wore out, froze up snow plow on a -40 morning in January in Montana. Might as well get used to it my friend, it just follows you around like stink on sour onions. My immediate team where I am now are top notch, not like the pickle you're in now with yours. We have our grief from
    well, I am really stuggling with this next part so I'll just say politics. Unlesss you move on or win the Lotto, I really can't offer anything else up for you. Good luck! Just remember this always, this kind of stuff is anywhere you go. And always keep your integrity. Hang in there!!!

P.S. My kids are asking me about the same issues.......
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Become the supervisor.

Distinguished Member
    We must work at the same place. :D

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    We must work at the same place. :D
    If you mean me as in we, yep..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Ok, here's a suggestion. Tell them that you want to video tape them when something like that comes up because you want to post their wisdom on YouTube. Better yet, next time something like that comes up, tell them that you would like to hear how they handle tech support and have them call.

I used to be a yard supervisor at a lumberyard some years back that there was one guy that we all worked outside with that would NOT stop sitting on his butt, (literally) whenever he could and customers would actually have to go out of their way to walk all the way over to him for help as he sat on anything that was capable of holding his lazy butt. The big bosses didn't really deal with him but it annoyed the crap out of my crew. Sooooooooooo I thought if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I ended up taking a digital camera to work with me and actually caught enough pictures of him sitting down on just about everything that a lumber yard can offer. Then, I made and passed out a calendar of that year with the picture above the days of the month, every one of them of him, sittin down. He wasn't happy but I got my point across on behalf of my whole crew. Some even laughed so hard that they were crying.

Use humor, it's always remembered.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Become the supervisor.
    Become the owner.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Wow....where do I start. After being in the work force for over 40 years, I could write the book. My best advice is to. Make yourself indispensable , do the very best you can, don't expect compliments from the boss.

Get satisfaction by knowing that you DID YOUR BEST, and to hell with what everybody else thinks.

P. S. Don't go home and kick the dog.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Administrator
    The cycle never ends. Everybody does and says stupid stuff from time to time. Some where there might even be a post from one of them telling the internet how stupid you are.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really can't complain about my fellow workers, since I work in an office at my home, by myself. Although sometimes, in retrospect, I wonder about myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    For example... one day I told my supervisor my voicemail wasn't working on my phone, I asked him to contact the phone company or IT to have it fixed because all I was getting was a busy signal when I dialed it.

Now you all know voicemail is not tied to the physical phone directly, it's tied to the phone number, and no matter what phone is plugged into the wall you still have the same phone number, thus the same voicemail. They said "Did you try a new phone"?
    Well there's your problem! Everybody knows when you call your own phone number you get a busy signal. You just need to call your number from somebody else's phone!

I lived that for fifteen years in a county police department. I finally bailed out. I am making about a third of what I was earning before but I am soooooo much happier in the private sector. Sometimes all you can do is smile and nod and slowly make for the exit door.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Do your co-workers know how to read?

Do they understand the most basic tennants of physics? (Like hotboxes are hot)

If so, I got you beat.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I simply remind myself that I get paid better than most in my job at work. All of the guys I work with directly every day are great, and have common sense. If they didn't, I wouldn't like to work with them because my line of work is rather hazardous if you don't have your head screwed on straight to begin with, or millions of dollars worth of company equipment could be destroyed with a mishap. Most pieces of our machinery weigh tons, and we move them on almost a daily basis. I've seen quite a few machine operators that are missing fingers or parts of fingers. We've moved equipment that could make a crater in the floor or ground if not properly rigged. Four years, and we've never had a mishap (which in relative terms could be a disaster or serious industrial accident). It's the ones higher up that I mainly worry about, and some of the decisions they make that come down to us in the trenches. We do the best we can, and I'm with a good team. As far as the term "idiots", I can honestly say that the term really doesn't fit where I work. It's more like some are just way too far beyond common sense, smarter than what they actually know, or think things look good on paper but they can't contemplate the practicality and or implementation. One of those things I reckon. I'm in the trenches of hell keeping production going while they are in the air conditioned office figuring it all out. I don't actually work with them directly, and that's my saving grace. Once the homework is done and set forth what to do, we pretty much engineer it the smart way in the real world on the production floor. When we hit a snag, or question something, it usually goes back through the chain, and those responsible need to make more decisions or amend the ones already made due to practical considerations, or the difference between engineering and employment.
    Idiots? No...not really. Save the term idiot for those driving the same road you do going to and from work. That's where I see most of the
    idiots
    ......on the road. Small worries with new phones, voice mail, email, etc........ I rest rather well every night knowing deep down inside that I've usually done a full day's work (physically demanding work), in the first three hours of my day (before the sun comes up) than most will do in two or three days total. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Talk to me about
    idiots
    P. S. Don't go home and kick the dog.
    Exactly. I feel a sense of accomplishment each and every day no matter what transpired at work that day. Again, that may be more than most, and I'm actually boosting the economy keeping our machines running. What good could I do playing with a cell phone and computer all day? If that's all I had to look forward to, then I'd rather not wake up tomorrow. Some are men at birth. Some need to be formed. And then there are those that wish to become one at some point in their lives. What I'm saying here is that I think your concerns are rather trivial in respect to keeping the world turning, educating others on the current technology, and supporting our country's economy. Hopefully tomorrow you'll go in to 'work' with a more perspective outlook on things, and contemplate the reasons we are where we are at this point in time reminding yourself that there are a bunch of "idiots" in the mix. Then ask yourself how did we ever get here and now, and wouldn't we have gotten here faster without them (idiots)? Sleep well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links