This ought to be a good one...

This is a discussion on This ought to be a good one... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll tell you what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it using my nephew as an example. My nephew was a high ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This ought to be a good one...

I'll tell you what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it using my nephew as an example.

My nephew was a high school drop out. Very intelligent kid, but going no where fast. Being a high school drop out, he had some delinquency, but never an arrest or run in with the police. He actually burned his mothers house down playing around with an aerosol can and a lighter when he was about 14. Stole his mothers car once and crashed it into a tree. We all knew he was headed no where fast.

Well, he always talked big, one day he was going to be a doctor (his dad was a paramedic), Next week he was going to be a helicopter pilot. You know the kind of talk. Big and grandiose. But he always worked hard with a good work ethic.

Well, before he got into any serious trouble, he "got his mind right" all on his own. I actually had a few "heart to heart" talks with him on occasion, but I take no credit for what he's done with his life. He's done all on his own.

He got his GED, then attended community college. Worked menial jobs because of no education just to get by. As soon as he got a college degree, he went and talked with the Army. Scored well, entered the Army National Guard as a Second Lieutenant because of his degree. As soon as he had that "Officers status" in the National Guard, he got hired as a Metro Bus driver in Kansas City, earning decent union wages with insurance and benefits.

From there he got sent to Intelligence school, but he always said he wanted to fly helicopters. I don't know how he swung it, but he got accepted into the Aviator program and learned to fly the UH-1 Huey.

He always loved Arizona so he moved to Arizona and transferred to the AZ National Guard where he learned to fly Apache helicopters. While living in AZ, he applied, and got accepted to the U.S. Border Patrol. After 3 years in Border Patrol in the Naco, AZ sector, his Guard unit went to A-Stan for a year where he flew Apache's and was the squadron's logistics officer. By then he was a 1st Lieutenant.

After returning to the States, he had enough time in with the Border Patrol to transfer off the southern border and transferred to the Canadian Border. While he loved Arizona, he was disillusioned with how the Agents Compean and Ramos were scapegoated for doing their jobs. Moral in the Border Patrol was pretty low. This was actually happening just prior to his A-Stan deployment. Returning from his A-Stan tour, he got transferred to the Canadian Border but the work there was too slow and boring for what he was used to on the southern border.

Presently, he's now a Captain in the Army National Guard and still an Aviator. He's since left the Border Patrol, getting a lateral transfer into another Federal LE Agency. I believe he's in ICE now, but I haven't spoken with him for a while.

He's thinking of having the Army send him to Physician's Assistant school because medicine is kind of "family business" but basically, at 39 years of age, his options are still wide open.

Needless to say, the family is more than just a little surprised at how the boy's turned out.

So, if you have the drive and desire, a lot of doors can open up for you. And a good way to open those doors is through the Military.

Good luck in your future.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'll tell you what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it using my nephew as an example.

My nephew was a high school drop out. Very intelligent kid, but going no where fast. Being a high school drop out, he had some delinquency, but never an arrest or run in with the police. He actually burned his mothers house down playing around with an aerosol can and a lighter when he was about 14. Stole his mothers car once and crashed it into a tree. We all knew he was headed no where fast.

Well, he always talked big, one day he was going to be a doctor (his dad was a paramedic), Next week he was going to be a helicopter pilot. You know the kind of talk. Big and grandiose. But he always worked hard with a good work ethic.

Well, before he got into any serious trouble, he "got his mind right" all on his own. I actually had a few "heart to heart" talks with him on occasion, but I take no credit for what he's done with his life. He's done all on his own.

He got his GED, then attended community college. Worked menial jobs because of no education just to get by. As soon as he got a college degree, he went and talked with the Army. Scored well, entered the Army National Guard as a Second Lieutenant because of his degree. As soon as he had that "Officers status" in the National Guard, he got hired as a Metro Bus driver in Kansas City, earning decent union wages with insurance and benefits.

From there he got sent to Intelligence school, but he always said he wanted to fly helicopters. I don't know how he swung it, but he got accepted into the Aviator program and learned to fly the UH-1 Huey.

He always loved Arizona so he moved to Arizona and transferred to the AZ National Guard where he learned to fly Apache helicopters. While living in AZ, he applied, and got accepted to the U.S. Border Patrol. After 3 years in Border Patrol in the Naco, AZ sector, his Guard unit went to A-Stan for a year where he flew Apache's and was the squadron's logistics officer. By then he was a 1st Lieutenant.

After returning to the States, he had enough time in with the Border Patrol to transfer off the southern border and transferred to the Canadian Border. While he loved Arizona, he was disillusioned with how the Agents Compean and Ramos were scapegoated for doing their jobs. Moral in the Border Patrol was pretty low. This was actually happening just prior to his A-Stan deployment. Returning from his A-Stan tour, he got transferred to the Canadian Border but the work there was too slow and boring for what he was used to on the southern border.

Presently, he's now a Captain in the Army National Guard and still an Aviator. He's since left the Border Patrol, getting a lateral transfer into another Federal LE Agency. I believe he's in ICE now, but I haven't spoken with him for a while.

He's thinking of having the Army send him to Physician's Assistant school because medicine is kind of "family business" but basically, at 39 years of age, his options are still wide open.

Needless to say, the family is more than just a little surprised at how the boy's turned out.

So, if you have the drive and desire, a lot of doors can open up for you. And a good way to open those doors is through the Military.

Inspirational, thanks for sharing!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

If you do go into the service, especially the Air Force, be sure to look into non-Air Force opportunity. I loved to fly and flew hundreds of hours as Crew Chief, but it never occurred to me to walk to the other end of the flight line and join the Aero Club. I could have learned to fly and had my license very inexpensively.

Then there's education with night college classes on base. The teachers are very helpful because you are trying on your own to better yourself.

It's all a choice, you can get with the party crowd of losers or prepare yourself for something better.

VIP Member
    Man, I was trying to stir the pot and nobody bit.

To the OP, go to a recruiting station and take the asvab (sp?). Once you see how you score then you can decide on what is available to you in each branch.

If you want a job skill go enlisted. There are plenty of great careers out there to learn. I learned my career skills in the Navy.

If you want a job in the boardroom finish your degree (in anything) and look at becoming an officer. Officers learn to be leaders. Enlisted men learn a trade.

I'd look hard at the Navy if you decide to go enlisted. As far as I know they still give written guarantees for career choices. Joining the Navy was the best decision I've ever made.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

That is an incredible story! I have always wanted to be law enforcement, and have decided to join the Army as an MP, then once I get out (assuming I do not go career) join one of the agencies.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here's a news blast for you; At 21, no matter education, all that is available is entry level work. Why? Because hardly nobody has practical work experience at 21. You are entry level. You do not have any verifiable knowledge or expertise in any area, nothing to bring to the table so to speak.
    Sorry to be harsh, but the sooner you understand this, the quicker you will be able to get your wheels spinning and be on your way.
    The best advice I can give you is to figure out a long term plan (think where you want to be after you are done working) and break it down into smaller steps and goals. If you want to be the pres. of Walmart, get a job sweeping floors and stocking shelves. Everybody has to start at the bottom.
    I completely understand and appreciate what you are saying. I don't take it has you being harsh, just honest and forward, which I appreciate. I have always been inclined towards the military and have decided to join and will use that as my "launching pad". Thank you for the advice
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    To each his own, but I can give you one option that will fast track you into a livable wage. In my area there is Tidewater Community College in Virginia Beach that has a "Zero to Hero" one year Paramedic program. In state tuition is reasonable, the schedule is hectic with ambulance and hospital rotations, but at the end you have an education that can land you a job in the transport sector at about $20/hour depending on location, and if you apply to a municipality, you automatically go to the top bracket of the hire list. Paramedics are highly sought after in fire/EMS since most of the training is done and there continues to be a national shortage of Paramedics. While you are in school, you can work as an EMT or volunteer at a local rescue squad to start building your experience.

Again, this is only one option.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    marry a rich woman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm retired Air Force and I suggest you look into the Coast Guard.

Look, other than a couple of years in SEA, the rest of my time was spent in "training" for the big one. Likewise for the other services. Except for the current "conflicts," most Military time is excercises, etc.

The Coast Guard does their job daily. Sure, they'll have training exercises too, but everyday they are rescuing boaters, patrolling harbors, etc. Smaller units, good locations, great morale. At least check it out. You might even get to blast a few drug-running "go-fast" boats from time to time.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm retired Air Force and I suggest you look into the Coast Guard.

Look, other than a couple of years in SEA, the rest of my time was spent in "training" for the big one. Likewise for the other services. Except for the current "conflicts," most Military time is excercises, etc.

The Coast Guard does their job daily. Sure, they'll have training exercises too, but everyday they are rescuing boaters, patrolling harbors, etc. Smaller units, good locations, great morale. At least check it out. You might even get to blast a few drug-running "go-fast" boats from time to time.
    And most deployments are stateside. The Coast Guard also tries to keep people at their duty stations once they are there. The other branches don't really do that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    That is an incredible story! I have always wanted to be law enforcement, and have decided to join the Army as an MP, then once I get out (assuming I do not go career) join one of the agencies.
    If you have that many college credits already, and you can afford it, seriously, seriously look at finishing a degree. Even if you are set on enlisting, get the degree first. In the Army, and I believe the others, that degree will let you enter as an E-4 instead of an E-1. Also, MPs are heavily deployed, and so finishing college once you are in is doable, but much more difficult than going ahead and doing it now. This way, you can use your GI Bill/College fund for graduate degrees later on. If you decided to make it a career, you could conceivably do Green to Gold and get a masters. (Green to Gold lets you go be a civilian for a while, do ROTC, get the degree and come back in as a 2LT.) I went through ROTC with two people doing just that.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

VIP Member
    I wanna be an Airborne...well, you all know the rest.

Good advice from everyone. If your eventual goal is Federal Law Enforcement, any military experience will be of great benefit. Leadership experience is even better, so ROTC (or at least busting your butt to make NCO) is a great idea. Your MOS will matter, but really not all that much in the grand scheme of things (that said, do something you enjoy, or it will be a loooong tour).

While I have great respect for all the branches and all the jobs, and I had the scores to do anything I wanted, I went in to be infantry. No, you won't learn a "trade" (outside of killing people and breaking things), but you'll have opportunities to do things that no other job in the world offers you. A few years in a Ranger Battalion, Marine MEU, or similar will broaden your horizons more than a lifetime in other jobs, and will absolutely give you the opportunity to put your work ethic to the test!

Another outside shot is as a security contractor. If you're paramedic qualified with a few years in the infantry, you can command around $600 a day right now. EMT-B is almost as good, but paramedic is better (and not to sell my former unit any further, but Ranger medic training right now is OUTSTANDING, full paramedic/USAF para-rescue medical school, plus). Yes, contractor work isn't the most stable or easiest gig in the world but, again, you get to do cool stuff and make serious money doing it.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    marry a rich woman
    Best idea I've heard all day!
    Semper Paratus

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I second the idea of finishing a degree. Go talk to a guidance counselor at the school where you took your courses. See what kind of degree you can get with your current credits and as little additional work as possible. Where you stand right now, employers see a smart person with no direction. If you can show one accomplishment (even if it is a general AA degree), it will help your education show better on a resume. If you decide on the military, the degree will be useful too as noted above.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I second the idea of finishing a degree. Go talk to a guidance counselor at the school where you took your courses. See what kind of degree you can get with your current credits and as little additional work as possible. Where you stand right now, employers see a smart person with no direction. If you can show one accomplishment (even if it is a general AA degree), it will help your education show better on a resume. If you decide on the military, the degree will be useful too as noted above.
    Excellent Point!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links