This ought to be a good one...

This is a discussion on This ought to be a good one... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need a better job! I am sick of cooking or delivering pizzas for a living and I could sure use some insurance for in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This ought to be a good one...

This ought to be a good one...

I need a better job! I am sick of cooking or delivering pizzas for a living and I could sure use some insurance for in case something happens to me!

My resume includes:

4 years in food service as a cook.

150+ college credits with no degree. (From a community college at that)

Basic working knowledge of light vehicle mechanics. (As in I can change oil/belts/pulleys).

Decent knowledge of guns. (Which I love).

A 3 year old FCAW Vertical up welding qualification.

Very limited sales experience.

Ok so while that is all well and good it does not amount to anything above a basic cooking position or a lube tech.

Here is what I have over most; my work ethic is amazing. I absolutely hate sitting around waiting for something to happen (such as a customer walking in) and the greatest satisfaction to me is doing every job assigned professionally and with great zeal. If my employer says "Clean this" it sparkles, if he says "mow this lawn" it gets everything from weed eating to edging in addition to the main yards.

Also, I can learn pretty much everything in a hands-on environment, and quickly.

Oh, and I have a pretty expansive vocabulary and I am a stickler for not having any typos.

It's frustrating to know that I can be a great worker but since I do not have so much as an AA degree most places will not hire me for anything but entry level work. I guess me being a very young 21 plays into as well.

I want to work somewhere that prides themselves on the work that they do while I await the Coast Guard to open up recruitment again!!

Also, I considering the Army. I am just ready to kick life in the ass and get it moving!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

I was going to say military before I finished your post. I think you are on the right track.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I'm curious, how did you accumulate 150+ hours at a community college and not get at least a 2-year degree or some kind of certificate in a field of speciality?

The military could be your best friend in times like these...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The US military.

With a focus on a SKILLSET if you're going to just do 4 years.
    I love the Marine Corps, but not too many hire "shooters" after you get out. You'd possibly be "cooking" again, afterwards. If you can be guaranteed intel/et cetera then yeah, USMC. (Doubtful, in these times, no matter what they "promise" you)
    Many here will say the Airforce, or Navy where you can possibly get into communications/computer networks/Satcomms/intel/a security clearance et cetera.
    I certainly agree that is the route to take.

Do the ASVAB and see your scores, and then have all the branches tell you what THEY can do for YOU.
    You sound like you have a great work ethic, you have your head screwed on right, and just want to prove yourself. Good traits for the Military.
    But....trust me, do not go in the military just to get away from it all. Go there with the intent to not come OUT heading in the same direction you are in now.
    Speaking from personal experience, my first 6 years made me a mean, in shape SOB, but it took another enlistment of 4 more years in a totally different skillset, (which changed everything), to be where I'm at financially today.

Keep us informed!
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If you want a family while in the military I'd suggest you consider the Air Force. Otherwise - whatever you choose, good luck and God Bless....
    For God, Family and Country!

The Air Force is a pretty good way to go, but I'm biased. I've been in the USAF for 14 years. If you like hands on look into a job working in Aircraft Maintainence, good job while you are in and every state has at least one airport if and when you get out. Also there are many different contractors and others in private industry that like to hire folks with a military background. It's easier for them because you have had a security clearance before, etc. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Libertas Vel Mors

If you decide not to go the military route, try working yourself into the tech industry. Seriously. I'm not going to spout off my financial details, but suffice to say I'm doing very well for someone with no college degree. It just takes being willing to learn and figuring out how to get your foot in the door. I work with a great group of guys that I trust. For the most part we all get along and work kinda like an odd family...and we all get paid well along with guaranteed good health and retirement benefits etc. Job security is a plus as well.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I was a printer's apprentice when I joined the USAF, after basic, I rec'd orders to Air Police School. After four years in the Air Police and Security Police both in USA and Vietnam I was discharged. I tested for the Delaware State Police although I was too short, had to be at least 6' at the time. The USAF training and service was the thing that tipped the scale in my favor. I served with the DSP for 14+ years and was struck by lightning. Given a service connected disability and after 26 months of therapy got a job in Security with a large chemical company in Delaware. Went from Security Officer to Security Lead Officer to Site Security Resource responsible for security for the companies largest research and development site and retired with 23 years service. This was all a result of my service with the USAF.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm curious, how did you accumulate 150+ hours at a community college and not get at least a 2-year degree or some kind of certificate in a field of speciality?

I am not exactly sure and I was actually talking with a friend of mine about it last night and he mentioned that they will not tell you that you earned a degree/specialty, that you have to ASK if you have earned anything.

Also, I have a lot of classes under my belt but I have not completed any math there. As well as that, I changed my specialty a couple times so I have a good number of welding classes that really don't count for much outside of that degree field.

My career choice has been law enforcement for a very long time, and I'd really like to go into the DEA/ATF/U.S. Marshalls (I really, really dislike BG's). So I was thinking military police of some sort, assuming I cannot join the Coast Guard for a couple years because of their being full up for fiscal year 2010 and 2011 is not looking too great either.

Also, 2 years ago I took a practice ASVAB and scored an 83 if memory serves.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really looking to join. Not to get away, but to get a career started.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

If you have that many credits already, go see what you need to finish a degree. Once you know that, go find an ROTC program for whatever branch you want to join and talk to them.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    If you decide not to go the military route, try working yourself into the tech industry. Seriously. I'm not going to spout off my financial details, but suffice to say I'm doing very well for someone with no college degree. It just takes being willing to learn and figuring out how to get your foot in the door. I work with a great group of guys that I trust. For the most part we all get along and work kinda like an odd family...and we all get paid well along with guaranteed good health and retirement benefits etc. Job security is a plus as well.
    +1

You obviously know how to use a computer, because here you are. That already gives you a head start on a lot of people I've worked with.

Here's how easy it can be:

I got a job as a temporary operator at an IBM chip making plant. I had no related experience. At that point in my life I had worked in retail, every position possible in the restaurant industry, real estate agent, telemarketer (only a week and I still feel bad about it), and a polisher in a metal fab shop. But all I needed was a high school diploma. After a few months my engineers, technicians, maint techs, and managers were all pushing for me to get hired permanent.

After that, they sent me to college (I worked full time and took 3 classes a year) and made me a technician. I'm still a few courses short of a degree, but it's only the electives I need for diploma. Over the years, I've taught myself a few computer programming languages too. Nothing formal, I just had a need for something and figured out how to do it.

Now I am no longer at IBM. No degree. No formal training in computers.

But when I started looking for a job in 2008 when it seemed everybody was unemployed, I found a great job with decent pay maintaining the databases and programming applications for the beverage industry. I work from home 99% of the time. My commute is from my bed to my office in the basement.

My point is, just think about it. It's not as hard as people think to get your foot in the door. I had virtually the same work experience as you, but I was able to get in. Look for companies that value intelligence, ability to learn, and work ethic as much as they do education. They are out there.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    Winners join the Navy.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Here's a news blast for you; At 21, no matter education, all that is available is entry level work. Why? Because hardly nobody has practical work experience at 21. You are entry level. You do not have any verifiable knowledge or expertise in any area, nothing to bring to the table so to speak.
    Sorry to be harsh, but the sooner you understand this, the quicker you will be able to get your wheels spinning and be on your way.
    The best advice I can give you is to figure out a long term plan (think where you want to be after you are done working) and break it down into smaller steps and goals. If you want to be the pres. of Walmart, get a job sweeping floors and stocking shelves. Everybody has to start at the bottom.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What Sixto said....I am 32, and am just now getting to a position inmy career where I can reliably pay my bills and have a little money after, and have the mutal respect of my peers and colleagues, as being "experienced", with 10 years of work behind me.

But before I finished your post, I was also going to say the US Military or if you are so inclined maybe the Police Academy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I have 120 hours and no degree. I kept changing my focus and each time it added another pre-requisite to my list. I still have not finished my degree.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links