Won in traffic court!

This is a discussion on Won in traffic court! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It was pretty simple really. I had gotten a ticket for $15 bucks back in April for illegal parking. Well I paid it, it never ...

Thread: Won in traffic court!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Won in traffic court!

It was pretty simple really. I had gotten a ticket for $15 bucks back in April for illegal parking. Well I paid it, it never got cashed. I didn't realize it until 3 weeks later when I was summoned to court. They said send in $73 dollars as collateral. The $15 original fine, plus late fees and court costs etc...

I went today. I walked into an empty room. The judge came out and asked me to tell him what happened. I told him the story, and then he asked for proof that we wrote the $15 dollar check. Since it was never cashed the only proof I had was a carbon copy in my check book.

He took that as good enough since I had written checks before and after it. It would seem pretty silly to leave one check blank for something I could not foresee.

The officer didn't show up, so after my side of the story I think he basically threw the case out and said he would give me my $73 dollars back, even though he didn't say the case was dismissed. I can only assume it was since I'm getting the entire amount back.

Go me

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Just a suggestion, call back to the county court house and make sure the case was dismissed, just for insurance purposes, get a copy of it just to be on the safe side. You never know.

BTW - Congratulations.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Administrator
    No need to worry about insurance, a parking ticket is not a moving violation. Its a local civil ord.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Just a suggestion, call back to the county court house and make sure the case was dismissed, just for insurance purposes, get a copy of it just to be on the safe side. You never know.

BTW - Congratulations.
    "even though he didn't say the case was dismissed. I can only assume it was since I'm getting the entire amount back.

I would want to make sure that the entire thing was resolved by the court to prevent a possible automatic bench warrant from being issued.

OMO

bosco

Go to the courthouse. Then go to "records" and get a copy of the "minute order" of the hearing. You'll need to know the date of the hearing for that.

The minute order will say what the judge ordered. Shouldn't cost you more than a quarter for the copy because you don't need it certified.

Great follow-up action, and it was worth it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No need to worry about insurance, a parking ticket is not a moving violation. Its a local civil ord.
    Understood, but a local civil ordinance can come back to get you later with as mentioned a bench warrant later if it's not resolved as it went from $15 to $73 in this case can it now. If it's not resolved and later down the road, it pops up as unresolved and a bench warrant is issued from a municipal court, you still go to jail, at least down here you do, even for Animal Citations which are just City Ordinances also, but we issue bench warrants on them if they fail to pay. Just asking for clarification sakes here, thus my better safe then sorry recommendation.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Links