Work Clothing Advice

This is a discussion on Work Clothing Advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I didn't really know where to put this thread so I hope this is fine. I've been offered a new job that would require me ...

Thread: Work Clothing Advice

Work Clothing Advice

I didn't really know where to put this thread so I hope this is fine.

I've been offered a new job that would require me to change my daily dress code. The new job requires a tie daily and the ability to add a jacket to it at a few moments notice. A jacket will not be required everyday but it could be needed at any time.

I currently have a good inventory of dress pants, shirts, ties etc. I only own 3 suits. I do not own a blazer or sport coat. In fact I've never needed one. If something that important was happening I just wore a suit. I'll be working 6 days a week and need to be prepared.

The only choices I can see are buying 6 or 7 new suits and just wearing the jacket when I need it or buying blazers and taking them off when I don't. I don't know anything about blazers or sport coats. The feeling I get when I see someone wearing one is they really don't match the pants they are paired with.

Anyone got any ideas ?
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Easy, consider it a uniform. Buy 6 pairs of pants in the same color, buy six shirts and ties that match that color, buy one jacket same color as pants.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    If they put you in an office or a cube, hang 2 sport coats in there permanantly. One navy, one tan. Covers everything pretty much. Buy your clothes based on that criteria.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

A grey sport coat works well with black or blue pants. even with blue jeans.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

Different color shirts and ties will allow you to wear the same jacket more than once a week. Also stores like Mens Warehouse usualy have deals where you can buy one suit or sport coat get one free.

what's the difference between a regular suit jacket, a sport coat and a blazer?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

This brings back old memories: dark gray sports coat and blue blazer, plain white and blue button down shirts, black leather belt, black shoes, black socks, dockers in gray, black, and a few khaki's mixed in, and a bunch of striped "Rep" ties. Except for wearing khaki's or gray pants with the gray sports coat it does not matter how you mix and match.

My boss at the time gave me some great advise. I had two shirts professionally dry cleaned and boxed (not hanger), packed into overnight bag that I kept in the bottom drawer of my desk. With it I kept an electric shaver and shower supplies from the dollar isle at the pharmacy.

I never looked GQ but the idea is to always look alert, professional, and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    what's the difference between a regular suit jacket, a sport coat and a blazer?
    A suit jacket is just that a jacket that matches the pants (same fabric as well) as part of a suit. A sport coat is designed to be worn on its own and not part of a suit. A blazer is a jacket that resembles the cut of a suit jacket think of it as a cross between a sport coat and a suit jacket.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like i'll be going shopping this week.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

By a navy blazer, some light gray, dark gray and tan slacks and you're good to go. A navy blazer is a classic look. You've suddenly covered three days at minimum, and with smart shirt and tie selections, you've doubled that.

A sharp blazer will compliment your suit wardrobe and expand its versatility. I would recommend Men's Warehouse - good advice and quality merchandise.

A suit coat is supposed to match the corresponding suit pants. A sports coat or blazer is supposed to contrast with a non-matching pair of pants.

A classic blue blazer will have bright golden buttons (not something you'd ever have on a suit coat) and can be worn with slacks, khakis or jeans.

Depending upon the circumstances, a sports coat in grey can double your color combinations and give you an alternate look. Other colors (such as tan) take much more care when coordinating with the colors of pants and ties -- but if you know how to do it can look great.

In either case, try to get fabrics that stretch and drape well (so that they wrinkle less), and avoid "furry", flannel-like wool finishes that pick up lint or you'll constantly be using lint rollers on them.

Good luck :-)
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    If they put you in an office or a cube, hang 2 sport coats in there permanantly. One navy, one tan. Covers everything pretty much. Buy your clothes based on that criteria.
    I agree, that's what I'd do.

However, I wear a tan t-shirt and camo pants nearly everyday on the farm........what would I know? Seriously I do "clean up" pretty good though when I need to wear a coat and tie.

BTW I caught some "sales" at Joseph Banks and bought several really nice looking sports coats to have on hand.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Links