Some times you just want to cry.....

This is a discussion on Some times you just want to cry..... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to a pawn shop at lunch (was bored) and saw an AK-47 on the rack. Nice wood, clean, seemed to have been taken care ...

Thread: Some times you just want to cry.....

Unhappy Some times you just want to cry.....

Went to a pawn shop at lunch (was bored) and saw an AK-47 on the rack. Nice wood, clean, seemed to have been taken care of. Ensured that it wasn't a "made during the ban" rifle (those that were made to take only a ten round magazine and couldn't accept AK mags), etc..

The price wasn't too bad but I need to get my reserves built up again since I just bought 1250 rounds of ammo ( .223 and .45 acp). But the purpose of the thread:

I can take a few wrong terms when talking with people about firearms. Like bullets, clip (and they aren't talking garands), etc.... but to have an entire conversation with them.... well, I just wanted to hang my head and cry:

While I was looking at the AK, the "expert" (yes, he said that he was an "expert") mentioned that the AK was "one of the finish assault rifles ever made. That was 1.

Then he told me that it could take 20, 30, 50 round clips. Of which he had in stock. That was 2.

Also said that it was a good assault rifle to shoot because the bullets were cheap. That was 3.

And then pointed to the cartriages on the shelf.

During the entire conversation he used these terms numerous times. I wanted to correct him but just couldn't bring myself to do so, he was the "expert" afterall.

Wayne

2. Remove Ads

I was at the Gun Shop the other day and a customer was in there and talking up a storm about getting a pump shotgun cause just cycling the shotgun will make all the BG's run away.

The owner and I just rolled our eyes. LOL...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Arkie , I just have to say that I was on a domestic call some years ago and when i knocked on the door i heard that " trombone " from inside , it did make me get the hell off that fellers porch fast .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Wrong terminology aside. Not that I'm going to buy, but what was his asking price?
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Well a trombone is pretty Loud. Hearing something like that in a house is rather odd and would make anyone jump.

"bullets" eh.....Mabe its one of thoughes muzzle loading A.K.s? Did you ask him if you could use 150gr of black powder in it?

That ought to mess with the "experts" head

Where I used to shop the owner and clerk used to get peeved with the customer for using the terms. I know of only one place around here where the owner knows what hes talking about. Every other place I only point, and ask "how much?"
    Last edited by gregarat; June 15th, 2006 at 05:03 PM.

lol arkie " trombone gun " is an old slang for a pump shotgun , i heard the clack clack of the slide racking a shell into battery
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

ohhhhhhhhhh,,, I thought you meant it was a Real Trombone!!!

Opens the door and gives you a Toot!

Now if was a Tuba you had better call for backup.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    A guy once asked me if I played "lead" or "flat top" guitar...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

$350 with one 20rd magazine. The other magazines that he had I'm sure was brought in with the rifle but you know how that goes.

I don't remember who made it. The wood was a dark blonde, not the nicer light blonde.

Here that is a great price (actually a "steal"). Most AK's around here start at $475 for a so-so shape and over $500 for each better grade.

Quite honestly I am planning on saving up as much as I can for a machine pistol like a Mac-9 or 10. Yes, I know that they are the POS of machine pistols but they are also the only ones at this time within my ability to save for it.

(so, is the term machine pistol correct or is it a machine gun? Serious question, not trying to be a smart mouth )

Wayne

actualy wayne i belive sub machine gun would be approprate tho machine pistol would fit too ( more european nomenclature ) a machine gun is a crew served normaly emplaced firearm using rifle cartrages lol and an automatic rifle would encompas anything from ar/ak forms to the old bar and m14

Mac 10 is a machine pistol sub machine gun is something like the Hk mp5 or uzi

VIP Member
    machine gun- either individual OR crew served, usually in rifle calibers....50BMG(Ma Duece) then medium calibers like M60 & M14 down to something like 5.56mm(M249, SAW)***

assault rifle- (use shortened rifle calibers) M16, M4 & AK-47 & variants***

sub-machine gun- includes full auto which use PISTOL calibers, H&K MP5, Mac-10, Uzi***

(usually anything over .50BMG is considered a cannon...like 20mm, 40mm, 105mm...etc)***

***note: this is NOT a full list, just a couple of examples
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Here's my understanding: machine pistol for a pistol with pistol ammo. Submachine gun for a rifle with pistol ammo. So, in this case, machine pistol would be technically correct (per my understanding, of course).

And $350 sounds like a fair price for one in good condition with good wood.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkie
    ohhhhhhhhhh,,, I thought you meant it was a Real Trombone!!!

Opens the door and gives you a Toot!

Now if was a Tuba you had better call for backup.
    LOL!

Actually way back in High School I played the trombone. (the big shiny brass, toot toot, variety)
    For a number of years I lived right next to a very nosy relative. My back yard backed up to his side yard, and there was no fence.
    One night I saw him out poking around behind my place, and decided to have a little fun with him. (there wasn't anything of value out there, but it was the principal of the thing.)
    The lights were out in the house and being a cool spring evening I had the windows open, so I grabbed the old trombone snuck up to the window and gave him a blast so hard that it stung my lips. It sounded like a cross between an enraged elephant, a moose being neutered, and something that should have come off of the jurrasic park sound track. LOL!

Not only did it scare the pants off of him, half the lights in the neighborhood came on. LOL!

Links