Time to get back in shape!

This is a discussion on Time to get back in shape! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well ladies and gentlemen, my career path is set, and there ain't nothing to it but to do it! Finish up a couple classes at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to get back in shape!

Time to get back in shape!

Well ladies and gentlemen, my career path is set, and there ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Finish up a couple classes at my local community college for my General Studies degree and I am off for the Coast Guard!

I talked to my recruiter and I have to drop at least 7% of my total current weight; 270lbs at 6'1".

I have decided that cycling and swimming are going to be what I start out with (I already lift) and will start running after some of the weight is gone in an effort to at least somewhat save my knees. So far I have been mountain biking 10 miles every two days. (Due to my odd work schedule). One week in, and I already feel better! The athletes high is a wonderful thing, and by the time next spring rolls around I hope to be down to at least 230lbs, but I am hopeful for 200lbs!

70lbs in about 10 months? I am very hopeful, just a matter of watching what I eat (no more eating a work, a pizza place) and keeping with a good exercise regimen.

Coast Guard here I come!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Good Luck! I believe the Coast Guard is well worth that effort.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thank you for what you are about to be doing...and you can do anything you put your mind to.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Best of luck to you with that, just stay focused on the goal. I am one of those guys who will lift anyday but hates running, you might want to look into some crossfit workouts, as they will kick your butt and are good cardio, and not just running. Also try the eliptical out, no impact so its good for the knees, better workout than an exercise bike
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Good luck! I was a Coastie officer for six years...great place to be!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Can you say....vegetables? Carrots, onions, pickles, cucumbers, snaps, cabbage, collards, spinach, salad greens, garden salads, etc.......eat as much as you want at meal time.( no potatoes, corn, butter beans, peas, etc....cut the starch out.) ( only fat free salad dressings and only a little bit)

Meats? Chicken, Turkey, and fish.....baked broiled or grilled. Limit 5oz. at lunch and dinner.

Fruits? three servings per day

Bread? Wheat only, two slices per day

etc.

No candy, no sugars, no chips, no pizza or burgers, etc. The weight will melt off like butter.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Congrats! on the Coast Guard. They are a wonderful organization and do a world of good. I fish out in the ocean a lot and it's nice to know they're only a radio call away!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Best of luck to you with that, just stay focused on the goal. I am one of those guys who will lift anyday but hates running, you might want to look into some crossfit workouts, as they will kick your butt and are good cardio, and not just running. Also try the eliptical out, no impact so its good for the knees, better workout than an exercise bike
    +1...

Also try aqua-fit stuff...again, great cardio without the pounding on the knees...and you get to mix water (which you'll see plenty of as a Coastie) and exercise...

Good luck with your goal...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    Can you say....vegetables? Carrots, onions, pickles, cucumbers, snaps, cabbage, collards, spinach, salad greens, garden salads, etc.......eat as much as you want at meal time.( no potatoes, corn, butter beans, peas, etc....cut the starch out.) ( only fat free salad dressings and only a little bit)

Meats? Chicken, Turkey, and fish.....baked broiled or grilled. Limit 5oz. at lunch and dinner.

etc.

No candy, no sugars, no chips, no pizza or burgers, etc. The weight will melt off like butter.
    If you are going to use fat-free dressing, make sure you add some "good" fat to your meals. A lot of the vitmamins in veggies are fat soluble and you need the fat for absorbtion. Good fats generally include nuts or avacado.

Good Luck....I just shut my "pie-hole" and have lost 18 pounds in two months!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I jumped on the elliptical this morning and it kicked my butt!! I'll have to keep training on it cause I feel it far more than mountain biking to be honest. Thanks for the support and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Good luck! I was a Coastie officer for six years...great place to be!
    Thank you for your service as well as your support! If I ever pass by, I'll drop you FL types a line

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post

etc.

I'll take that to heart, no more eating out for me. I actually go to the grocery store now it's a pain at first, but no doubt I'll get over it I always forget how refreshing salad is, but if I stick with it, I expect I'll be sick of it in about a year

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice, it was not in vain and I wont stop until my goals are reality!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Good Luck....I just shut my "pie-hole" and have lost 18 pounds in two months!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
    Congratulations and thank you sir!!
    Semper Paratus

Soda pop is on the naughty list too... Regular and diet are both bad. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeangordon View Post
    Soda pop is on the naughty list too... Regular and diet are both bad. Keep up the good work!
    I've never been much on soda actually. I was raised without it, and the carbonation does not agree with me. I even don't really drink beer much because of that, though mixed drinks are a whole other ball game. Still though, I cut out booze because it makes me sluggish.

Thanks!
    Semper Paratus

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    For fast and impressive results, I can recommend P90X training. That's the whole package - cardio, strength, flexibility, and special attention to abs and core work.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links