My Brother in law has seen the light!

This is a discussion on My Brother in law has seen the light! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a good talk with my liberal brother-in-law yesterday and he informed me that he is ready to own a gun. A little background ...

Thread: My Brother in law has seen the light!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

I had a good talk with my liberal brother-in-law yesterday and he informed me that he is ready to own a gun. A little background first.....He is married to my sister (a liberal school teacher) and he is an RN who works in the ER. Apparently he has seen enough patients who have become victims of violence pass through lately that it has opened his eyes. He served in the Texas National Guard and served 6 months in Bosnia but is still somewhat nervous around firearms. Well I am taking him shopping this week for his very own personal firearm.

Excellent!!! Let him know that there are many others like him!!!
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Tell him he's made a wise decision.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Amen, another one has crossed over to the light. The dark side is losing.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Experience is always a great motivator, and fortunately for your BIL, his experience didn't have to be a personal altercation.
    Get that man to the gun shop
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'll be a little different here, and while I am happy that your BIL has seen the error of his ways, I will not rejoice yet.

Get thee to a Gun Safety Class before the Gunshop. That will do more to appealing to his liberal mind and show him that safety is a serious, and should be, foremost concern.

After that, go to the gunshop.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'll be a little different here, and while I am happy that your BIL has seen the error of his ways, I will not rejoice yet.

Get thee to a Gun Safety Class before the Gunshop. That will do more to appealing to his liberal mind and show him that safety is a serious, and should be, foremost concern.

After that, go to the gunshop.

Biker

I am going to work with him personally.

Thank god it didn't take the light from a gun shot to wake him up,Hallelujah
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Personally, if it were up to me, I'd edit the first sentence to read "... my brother in law..." because in my experience, gun owners and non-owners are not divided by their politics, but rather by their willingness to take responsibility for their own safety. When a person chooses to take pro-active measures to avoid being a victim of crime, it's an individual moment of reckoning: no one else is going to pull that trigger - are you ready to commit?

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that many gun owners have not yet made that decision. When the moment comes, will you have sufficient training and force of will to execute your skills? Or will you choke? So getting a firearm and practicing and developing the many skills needed is a long continuum between that first decision and the final outcome. Doesn't have much to do with what box a person tics off in the ballot booth.

And I'm only raising this here because it's kind of a peeve of mine; when a liberal decides to be a gun owner, I want that person to find a welcoming environment in the ownership community. He or she shouldn't feel like a minority or a second-class citizen, like they have something to apologize for.

We need a big tent because our Second Amendment rights are threatened from both the right and left and we are only as strong as our numbers and our support of advocacy groups like the NRA. Prospective members should always see friendly faces and welcoming hands.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Before you know it, he'll have the NRA toolbar on his computer and Midway USA as one of his favorites. Well done and shhhhhhhhhh.....we won't tell your sister where you guys went.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links