Range help !

Range help !

This is a discussion on Range help ! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does any one know who would regulate an indoor shooting range as far there ventilation system. There's one here in town that is really bad ...

Thread: Range help !

Range help !

Does any one know who would regulate an indoor shooting range as far there ventilation system. There's one here in town that is really bad and because its going to cost the owner alot of money , he won't do anything about it . When you shoot in the the lead just floats around for ever.

I'm not a big whistle blower but something has to be done. :7:

oh by the way im in las vegas,nv if that helps.

Lead Moderator
    That would fall someplace under either OSHA or EPA regulations (most likely EPA), and very likely the federal regs could be supplemented by additional state regulations.

Sorry I can't be more help, I used to have a small book on the subject, but I gave it to my gun club.

You might start by trying Google and search under lead abatement.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

thanks, Rick. i hope everyone doesnt think im an idiot for blowing the whistle. Just trying to keep us ( shooters ) safe .

VIP Member
    Lead poisoning (both kinds ) is a major health issue
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I would find somewhere else to shoot first. If you sic the government on this range it will probably close. If they stay open fees will double or triple to shoot there. I'm familiar with two cases. One range closed and the other will triple their previous fees in two weeks (July 1st).

Also finding out who may have jurisdiction and then getting them to do anything about it will have to become your life. In my experience it takes a lot of time and effort to get government to do something. Maybe you can call Sarah Brady and HCI. They could probably get the government to do something faster and it would only cost you a few phone calls. I'm sure the prospect of costing a range owner a lot of money or even closing one down would get the Brady's involved. Also when it is found that it isn't lead floating around HCI will have wasted their time and money, not you.

Good luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    It takes a LOT of lead ingestion for any symptoms of lead poisoning to manifest themselves in adults.

In developing children under age 13 it's a far different story.

I'm not saying not to be careful but, the dangers of lead poisoning are highly overrated for adults. Just FYI

I worked with the stuff every day for years...grinding & polishing massive amounts of it (cast lead statuary) & doing Stained Glass repair etc. & when I was getting checked out for my Tinnitus problem ~ I had my blood Lead Level checked (as a possible Tinnitus cause) & it was nonexistent.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill chime in with Scott all that will happen is you will force the closure of the range and the bottom line is that there will be one less place to shoot. IMHO its better to work with the owner ( possibly put up a ventilation kitty on the counter , you know a donation can ) or something . If he could afford to change it he would , he and his staff have to put up with it more than the shooters do you know .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Sponsored Links