Why we carry when living in the country

This is a discussion on Why we carry when living in the country within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Look, I don't usually pop snakes as they tend to keep things balanced, but that said, you had a need due to problems and livelihood ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why we carry when living in the country

Look, I don't usually pop snakes as they tend to keep things balanced, but that said, you had a need due to problems and livelihood being affected. My question though, is why waste expensive bullets on a non-venomous one. Just pick the bugger up and break the neck or cut the head off...

Just sayin... with the cost of ammo and all these days...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Look, I don't usually pop snakes as they tend to keep things balanced, but that said, you had a need due to problems and livelihood being affected. My question though, is why waste expensive bullets on a non-venomous one. Just pick the bugger up and break the neck or cut the head off...
    Just sayin... with the cost of ammo and all these days...
    'Careful, non-venomous snakes still bite. Plus it's a bummer to realize that you've wrongly identified it after it bites you .

Although, you did remind me of my grandaddy 'popping' snakes. He'd snatch them up by the tail and crack them like a whip. It was all over after that. I remember him grabbing one that was too long and heavy to crack, so he swung it over his head with both hands until he could reach the cinder-block wall of a shed to slap it's head off. 'Grandaddy was one tough mother.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Why didn't you just pick it up and move it? I like snakes, so I don't usually kill them. Maybe if it was venomous...
    That's my thought.

I catch these and other snakes such as kingsnakes and keep them in my barn. Fortunately, I have a small coop and keeping snakes out is fairly easy. (Mice & rats? That's another story)

The few times I've found poisonous snakes around my property, I've just stomped them to death. (Ammo is TOO expensive!)

I agree no reason to chance it. Shoot it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

out there we have rat snake, king snakes, bull snakes, and I can walk ya down to where there are a lot of rattle snakes. However, I get ticked if anyone messes with the bull snakes, they are good to have around. We have a new one in the state that I can't remember the name of, but are non-venomous but aggressive as can be ...
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I've got two rabid coons sneaking around my coop at times (well one now) :)
    they act drunk and aren't scared of people, they also come out in mid day. I went to my coop lastnight and saw one near it so I shot him with my little .380 I was cussing myself for not having a rifle but the .380 worked. Felt bad wasting defensive ammo (expensive) on it though.

Are ya sure ya only used two shots? That Glock19 in slidelock worries me then. Did ya only have one in the chamber and one in the mag?...Jus sayin

Just pickin at ya!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links