Why we carry when living in the country

This is a discussion on Why we carry when living in the country within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi ya'll Here in Texas we have been having storms and flooding. Well this weekend I have finally been able to get out and start ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we carry when living in the country

Hi ya'll

Here in Texas we have been having storms and flooding. Well this weekend I have finally been able to get out and start cutting down the jungle that has grown up.

While I was out, I caught a stinking rat snake eating our eggs. I have noticed our egg production seemed down, but was striking it up to the weather we have been having.

Needless to say, when it rains a lot, the snakes come out once things dry up.

He is just a young one, but already had one in his gut and eatting another.

This is why we carry no matter what at this time of the year. There are snakes everywhere.

Got this one with my Glock 19, one shot through the head, weird angle and he was underneath my goat milking stand. So I was bent over at a 90 degree and still got him on the first shot.

My wife and daughter later came out to check out the snake and they were upset that it was still moving. Snakes do that when they are dead. So I went over and popped him again for their sake.

Snake and my Glock 19

Me, the snake and my Glock 19

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

put a couple golf balls in the nest, or a couple porcelain eggs. they will eventually kill them...

or...

sprinkle crushed up moth balls around the perimeter of the pens. the snakes will not cross it...
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Great shooting!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

LIme works well too. Nice shot, what was the distance?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Looks like he had his last meal.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Why didn't you just pick it up and move it? I like snakes, so I don't usually kill them. Maybe if it was venomous...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

The reasons for carry in Montana usually have four legs, claws and teeth! They all usually stay away from us two leggers though, so I, and especially they, can live with that. I have seen really high scratch marks on my tree that make me wonder if my .45ACP would be enough to stop the threat tho.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I carry in Florida in order to feel safe from the wildlife too.... The 2 legged kind!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Snakes eat my eggs

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Why didn't you just pick it up and move it? I like snakes, so I don't usually kill them. Maybe if it was venomous...
    The rat snakes eat our eggs. We sell some of our eggs to folks and helps me purchase more bullets.

If we move them, they come back, thus we lose more eggs.

Most of the times I will skin them and keep the skins.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Nothing like good, farm fresh eggs! When we moved here where there was a little bit of property, that's the first thing I did was went out and bought a bunch of laying hen chicks. Once they started laying, my wife was sold and never will go back to store bought again. We sell ours to buy more food for the hens so we pretty much get our eggs for free now. Well, that is if you're talking about chicken eggs. I don't think you mentioned what kind but I guess they're laying them on the ground? Ours fly up to nests about 4 feet off the gound to lay and we also let them graze. Nothing yet getting to the eggs but my brother's dog did kill 5 of our hens in one session.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophezine View Post
    The rat snakes eat our eggs. We sell some of our eggs to folks and helps me purchase more bullets.

If we move them, they come back, thus we lose more eggs.

Most of the times I will skin them and keep the skins.

Ray
    Texas
    Do you have any pics? That seems like a cool thing, sell any?

Patrick Henry

I hate snakes, and with my ten years here in FL, I have had only one snake in any of my yards, one Coral snake. He's gone...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't kill snakes unless the are venomous and in my yard. The last one I shot was a copperhead that bit one of our dogs on the back porch. Rat snakes may eat a few eggs, but they also eat rats which are much more dangerous than rat snakes.

VIP Member
    Nice shot. I'm seeing more snakes this season than in many years. It'd sound like the wild west around here if I shot every one of them, so I carry one of these in my truck: Shop True Temper Briar Axe Brush Cutter at Lowes.com.

It has a nice, long handle. The trick is to make sure that the snake is looking the other way when you swing. I hate snakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links