Getting ready for a hurricane or other disaster.

This is a discussion on Getting ready for a hurricane or other disaster. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Living in South Florida, we know that we might have to deal with a SHTF situation. A few years ago, Wilma's eye passed right over ...

Thread: Getting ready for a hurricane or other disaster.

Getting ready for a hurricane or other disaster.

Living in South Florida, we know that we might have to deal with a SHTF situation.
    A few years ago, Wilma's eye passed right over the house, very weird, no wind, blue skies, got out surveyed the damages talked to the neighbors and got back in quick for the second hit. Cat 4 hurricanes pack a lot of wind !!!

No electric service for 21 days, good thing we had a generator to run the well water pump and the refrigerator.

We had plenty of drinking water but were short on food. Fortunately Publix re-opened a few days later, so it was not a problem.

Good thing we had a chain-saw, couldn't have the truck out otherwise, fallen trees in the driveway.

What kind of food do you stock up for emergencies, both refrigerated and not refrigerated ?
    I'd like to have at least a couple of weeks food supply, maybe more.
    I'd rather avoid MRE's and have supplies that we can rotate on a regular basis.

Looking forward to your input, thanks.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

We rotate a several months supply of canned goods, rice and other dry grains. We have water stored, and could stay in the house for quite a while.
    We're thinking of making a larger supply to rotate. We do have a generator and extra gas.
    No need to make a list here, but we have many other items for survival, too! It's a start!
    I can't believe how many of my neighbors don't think about even short term survival.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

THESURVIVALPODCAST absolutly the best way to learn urban survival technics Jack Spirko is the man you can buy mountian house food that can be stored for 25 years plus food rotation is great you can also dehydrate and store in vacume bags good job on the heads up take care

Canned vegetables, dried beans and pasta. Nothing elaborate, but enough on hand to cover our needs for several weeks. Out here in the desert, potable water is more of an issue, but living near a man-made lake provides some relief.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Have plenty of food both canned and freeze dried along with a camp stove and fuel for same. Water and fuel are stocked one week in advance of storm in order to have a fresh supply and avoid last minute lines. Ammo and weapons always on hand.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Even though I live in an evacuation zone, I usually keep canned tuna, canned veggies, soups, dried pasta, bottled water, nuts, dried meats, hard candies, spices, coffee, protein bars, cereal, popcorn and a spare propane tank for the grill.

I figure at some point I'll have to come back for a while before everything is back to normal.

One to two months frozen and canned, six months long term storage, beans, grains vegetables, butter, mres, etc. Camp stove with three 5 gal tanks that attach to it. Two 55 gal water drums with a lake nearby.

All I can add is to get yourself one of these Katadyn Hiker Microfilter Hiking Camping Filter 8013629 and Hiker Micro Filter Camping Water Filters

I have one from my hiking/backpacking days, and it great. It's small and super easy to use. And if you need to bug out, you can easily throw in into a bag and go.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

11 Items You Need To Get Now

My name is Ray, in my past not only did I jump out of perfectly good airplanes serving with the 82nd Airborne, I learned to eat bugs, snakes and yes even monkeys. I have also lived through several natural disasters. The biggest was the 1989 San Francisco earthquake that measured a huge 7.1. Buildings, homes, roads, and lives were destroyed. It even put a damper on the World Series, which I was disappointed because my team the SF Giants lost.

Recently with hurricanes Katrina and Rita, my wife, family and I learned some ever valuable lessons. The real eye opener is that we learned what disappeared off the shelves at the local Mega Mart when these sort of events take place.

Fast forward to today and my wife and I were sitting at Ground Zero here in Texas for what is being called the Swine Flu / Mexican Flu pandemic.

It can’t happen to you? Think again…

In the world we live in we face dirty bombs and terrorism globally. 9-11 is proof to that. What would happen if a dirty bomb, a weapon of mass DISRUPTION, was exploded on US soil? Dick Chaney once stated that it is not a matter of “IF” but “WHEN” something of this magnitude would take place.

With all of this staring us in the face, what are we doing about it?

The best time to prepare you and your family is now when you have the time; patients and clear thinking are in your favor.

READ ALL OF RAY'S ARTICLE >>>
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    We have a three month supply of our staples, beans, rice, flour, sugar, salt.

We also have canned goods (beans, soups and meats), dehydrated vetegables and dried fruit.

I have extra gas for my backpacking stove, a katadyn water filter, 4 collaspeable 5 gallon water jugs, 2 full 5 gallon gas cans. Plus 72 hour Castgruad lifeboat rations in the cars.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks for all the answers.
    Very good points !

Would you care to elaborate on "canned goods"; as we are going to rotate these, they have to have a decent taste in non-emergency situations

Actually, the food is my main question; water is covered with the swimming pool (15,000 gall.) and a 1/2 acre lake on the property.
    For cooking, a Coleman stove; thanks for suggesting a hose to connect it to BBQ tanks.
    Drinking water, we always have 15 days reserve plus an R.O. filter that gives purified water as long as the well pump is running.
    Good idea on getting the "Katadyn Hiker Microfilter". Thanks.
    Need to get water purification tablets as well.

One thing that really puzzles me is the number of people, even in this semi-rural area that have no reserve for medications they cannot go without (diabetes, B.P. , etc.). Sheeps, not only for S.D.
    Fortunately we don't need any.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Senior Moderator
    We rotate through all of our stores.

I would suggest getting Amazon.com: Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival (9780936348070): Jack A. Spigarelli: Books

He recommends a years worth of supplies, we pared it down to 3 months worth, adjust according to your situation
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have guns, ammo, enough food for a month or so. I don't have a lot of water stockpiled, but I do have a good 30" well, that I can get water from with a bucket and a rope. I've done it before. On a more humorous note, the first time we had to get water from our well via the bucket and rope method, I came home from work one afternoon to find my wife at the well with a fishing rod. I couldn't help but ask if she was catchin any. She called me a "wise ass" and told me she'd dropped the rope in the well. She finally managed to hook t and pull it up far enough to recover it. Of course, that doesn't beat the time she tried to siphon water from the well.

Administrator
    These are the folks that I buy my extremely long term SHTF food from.
    Check them out. At least get one 7 Day Responder Pack for every member of your family.
    Best Home Food Free Guide Info Easy Help 1 Year Supply
    I also keep a good well stocked pantry or larder.

Walton feed is another excellent source of long term foods.

Links