iPad experiences/inputs?

This is a discussion on iPad experiences/inputs? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What better place to ask a computer question than in a gun forum? Seriously, I know there are guru's here (not me though). I've been ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPad experiences/inputs?

VIP Member

iPad experiences/inputs?

What better place to ask a computer question than in a gun forum?

Seriously, I know there are guru's here (not me though).

I've been looking at iPad recently and might consider buying one so I'd like to hear from ya'll. Notice I said iPad and not iPod. I only have experience in looking at one for a few minutes in a big box store. We'd primarily use it when away from home/traveling to look up a map, check email, check DC etc.

Opinions, advice, experiences ?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

I've handled a few. It definitely has a cool factor to it. The iTouch/iPhone OS works very, very well. It is extremely fluid and stable.

However, I find it pointless. For the price point, it just doesn't do anything. It is nothing more than a large iTouch.

Being Apple, it has very limited expandability options. No ports. No Flash.

IMO there are probably better ways to spend your money. If all you're looking for are those things you mentioned, then a $300 netbook seems like it would make more sense, although you'd have to get a data plan for it. At least with the iPad, you can get cellular data if you spend the extra for the WiFi + 3G version.

They are neat, if someone gave me one, id keep it, might even use it. However. having a Droid, a couple laptops, and a powerhouse desktop, I see no need to buy one, ever.

Asus (makers of the original netbooks) will have theirs out in a month or so in both a MS and Android based versions. Also HPs Slate is due out soon. Better wait and see before plunking $$$$ on a Ipad.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

DM2
    I am a gadget nut but not a real tech guru. That being said, I'm waiting to see what Apple does with the next-gen iPad. I love gadgets but I don't have a lot of disposable income to buy every version that comes out.

In its current configuration, I'd have to agree with Paul34... its nothing more than an iPod touch with a larger screen. The larger screen alone is enough for me, but I can't help but think that the first one was just to test the waters to see what the demand would be. I think the second-gen will have some really cool features that I don't even know that I want but will be pleased that it has.

While I don't think you will go wrong with the iPad, I do think you can get what you are looking for in a less expensive device like a smartphone or netbook.

My only problem with Apple right now is that you can only get the iPhone on the AT&T network.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

I have the 64 GB 3G version and am on it right now. Love this thing. I also have two laptops, one net book and a desktop. I use the iPad the most.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

I think it's a fantastic couch web-browsing tool. The 3G models can also be great in the car for navigation, using the web, watching a movie, etc. (Well, not the driver, of course!) EDIT: I was mistaken about the iPad's GPS capabilities. It's just as good as the iPhone 4!

I already have an iPhone and a Macbook (and a factory navigation system in the car), so I have a hard time justifying the purchase of something that fits in between them. But if you don't have a laptop, or you spend a lot of time traveling and want something smaller than a whole laptop to pass the time, it's a great device.
    Last edited by Maltz; June 28th, 2010 at 11:31 AM.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top_gizmo View Post
    I have the 64 GB 3G version and am on it right now. Love this thing. I also have two laptops, one net book and a desktop. I use the iPad the most.
    We bought this one also. Fantastic!!

We use a Mac Notebook, updated the software for the ipad, and my wife spent 6 hours on the phone with Apple and NO ONE could tell her how to get past the Mac saying "camera not found". She boxed it up and sent it back. I took the damn money and bought a Glock 19 RTF2 with the fish gills cocking grooves.

i have the 64 Gig wi-fi. i love it. it's not a replacement for a laptop, but it's a fun toy all the same. i have dozens of movies on it, plenty to keep my entertained while i'm out to sea for months at a time!

I'm currently reading this thread on my 64GB iPad. I absolutely love mine but as others have said it's not a replacement for a laptop.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Senior Moderator
    I bought one as an entertainment device, but with an external keyboard connected via bluetooth, and SSH and FTP/text editor applications, I can actualy do useful IT work with it on the road. I wouldn't want to write 5000lines of code on it, but for fixing a server issue or editing some code on the road, it's a nice, handy package.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've also considered one, and I may ask for it as a birthday gift from my wife. Virtually all that I use a computer for is web surfing, so would the IPad do that as well as a laptop?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    What better place to ask a computer question than in a gun forum?

Seriously, I know there are guru's here (not me though).

I've been looking at iPad recently and might consider buying one so I'd like to hear from ya'll. Notice I said iPad and not iPod. I only have experience in looking at one for a few minutes in a big box store. We'd primarily use it when away from home/traveling to look up a map, check email, check DC etc.

Opinions, advice, experiences ?

My boyfriend (dsee11789) told me he wanted an iPad a couple months ago. I told him that I thought it was a waste because we both have ipods and laptops but as long as he paid his bills I didn't care what he did. Then, he brought it home... I love the iPad. There are so many different applications. The games are great if you have some time to waste. I also use a couple cookbook applications. It is prefect to curl up on the couch and surf the internet. This forum looks and works great on the iPad as well. I don't know about using it to check e-mail because I use my phone for my email when away from home. I've also found the touch screen to be very convenient.

I'm lost that it has basically the iPhone software instead of actual Mac OS. If they made a tablet like the iPad but with full on Mac OS software, called it like iTab or iTablet, then I'd buy one. It would be nice for certain businesses as far as presentations go but it's just not enough computer for me to make me buy one. It's that lack of "conversion of sale" that Apple is lacking with this product. A lot of tire kickers and not many real buyers.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links