Ok - explain this...

Ok - explain this...

This is a discussion on Ok - explain this... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know someone who's house was broken into last Thursday/Friday. Apparently the thieves stayed overnight, ate and drank from the fridge, and took several items ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok - explain this...

Ok - explain this...

I know someone who's house was broken into last Thursday/Friday. Apparently the thieves stayed overnight, ate and drank from the fridge, and took several items - among them electronics (but left the computers), yard equipment (including a riding lawn mower), and jewelry. However, the left probably $4000.00 (minimum) worth of firearms! Why would you leave the guns (trust me he isn't complaining) and take other serial-numbered items like the lawn mower? The guns were not in a safe and not especially hidden (they weren't in plain sight though except for two on a gun rack in a bedroom).

JD
    Administrator
    Felons who didn't want to risk getting caught with guns?

Senior Moderator
    Its actually pretty common. Lots of states have enacted stiffer penalties for any crimes involving a gun and that includes theft.

The crooks dont want to risk stealing a serialized weapon that will have more interest than say,stealing tools or a stereo or something that is untrackable.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Stealing electronics and yard equipment are not federal offenses. Stealing firearms is.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    It's easy to sell a lawn mower. To sell a gun to a pawn shop you will need to fill out paperwork.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I know a homeless person who I give cans to. He would not harm a flee and would be afraid of guns. He told me he had 12 barbecue grills. I said, why do you need 12 barbecue grills? He said, I don't. People leave their garage doors open so they are there for the taking. He was not joking either.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Its actually pretty common. Lots of states have enacted stiffer penalties for any crimes involving a gun and that includes theft.

The crooks dont want to risk stealing a serialized weapon that will have more interest than say,stealing tools or a stereo or something that is untrackable.

Yep... and it would be a pretty fair assumption they were felons. They don't want do hard time. Many will in fact sit down and have something to eat and a drink while their "workin". Probably in their union contract.

I dunno, stupid crooks?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

One of them has enough "Legal Knowledge" to leave the guns alone. They took things they could pawn quickly and without much question.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Not only that but the level of LEO's interest can go up, also.

There was a string of robbers, B&E, etc in neighborhood where I lived 15 or so years ago.

The LEOs came, took reports, and nothing was heard for months. It was the common assumption that it was juveniles. A number of folk had an idea (which proved to be correct) who some of the kids were.

Then they stole three handguns.

Immediately, there was a heavy LEO presence, in the neighborhood and at the school. The case was cracked in days by information garnered at the local school -- information about stolen goods from some of the earlier robberies, which IMHO would have stayed under the radar, had not the pressure to find the juveniles who now had guns not ramped up the effort to id the ring.

BTW -- teachers and parents got involved -- not just LEOs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

previous felony convictions, and a desire not to be hit with a gun crime along with associated penalties....

Administrator
    Its the ease of which they can sell the items. Most of the time, burglars already have potential buyers for the merchandise that they steal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here the sheriff's department won't even come to the house to take a burglary report, one must go to the station to file one...unless firearms are taken...then they come and do a full investigation.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Now I know where my grill went!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Now I know where my grill went!
    He's got twelve of them, he'll probably sell you one cheap!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links