Black And White?? Remember The Days?? - Page 2

Black And White?? Remember The Days??

This is a discussion on Black And White?? Remember The Days?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It is amazing how far we've come over the last generation. I'm a tad young for this bit of nostalgia but when I hear about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black And White?? Remember The Days??

It is amazing how far we've come over the last generation. I'm a tad young for this bit of nostalgia but when I hear about my how my parents lived, I'm absolutely amazed. In this day and age of instant internet access on smart phones and other feats of amazing technology, its hard to understand that my mom grew up in a house that her dad built by hand and running to the bathroom meant going out in the rain and snow to the outhouse in the back yard.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

VIP Member
    I remember these things as well.

I grew up in a house with no air conditioning.

We often ate bolna sandwhiches or franks and beans as a budget stretcher.

Friday nights after 8 pm are when we telephoned our grandparents or other relatives - that is when the long distance rates dropped for the weekend.

The library is where we went for information and learning. The card catalog was your friend.

I walked the mile to school and home every day, in all kinds of weather. It is what we did.

Talk back to a teacher? Maybe once, then you were sent to the principles office and chewed out. Your parents were called, and they might have to come in and get you for the day. Not only did you get detention, you got chewed out at school, and at home.

On those rare occassions I lied growning up when it came down to my word against an adult, the adult was always believed and I was the lier. I learned not to lie.

I got to sit in a real barber shop, read the paper, listen to the grown ups talk, and I learned quite a few things from it.

We kids roamed the neighborhood without fear of crime, child molestors, or other vermon. All the moms stayed at home and watched out for all the kids. Do something bad at Erics house, your mom knew about it before you got home.

I was spanked plenty, little did I know I was abused and traumatized from the experience. It is just aweful having grown up to be a responsible and honorable man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I'm 21. This place you speak of.... It sounds magical.
    It is magical, in that it isn't real...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    It is magical, in that it isn't real...
    Thats odd, I remember it just like the OP posted it.
    BTW ,do you know how a vinyl record works?
    Its magical too
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    Everyone's entitled to their own selective-memory nostalgia (though, if you believe Frank Zappa, nostalgia is one of the ways that the world will end...the other is paperwork).

I also remember Jim Crow, xenophobia, sexual discrimination, McCarthyism, the threat of nuclear destruction, proxy wars, thalidomide, DDT, radium clocks, the Love Canal....

Older folks in the '50s lamented the "good ol' days" before all this rock and/or roll, skirts up to the knee, hot rodders, and insert whatever is new and scary here.

I'm pushing 40, and have no illusions that my childhood years were better or worse than any others...just different. Of course, I was in the Army "back when it was hard..."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If anyone is interested in Old Time Radio shows the following has some good ones. There are a lot of more recent 50's and even 60's shows listed but enough from the pre-TV and just Pre-TV era to enjoy...

RadioMickDanger.com

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Back in the days when changing the channel meant walking to the T.V. and turning a knob...........
    I'm only 24, but I grew up with a TV like that. Rabbit ears, twisty knobs for channels and no remote! Had it till I was 12 or so and I think it's still in the basement of my parent's house

... but we didn't seem to get food poisoning, e-coli, beach closures ...
    What a difference 50yrs makes.

There was a time when I spent hours each day for months on end in the ocean, body surfing. In many places, I can't imagine dipping a toe, now, for all the poisons in the water that come flooding in through every orifice. And with the explosion of globalization, foodstuffs come from everywhere, with much of it relatively unknown and uncontrolled. Fifty years ago, things were more local.

It sure points out how many things are changing, in terms of actual and imagined risk.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I remember when encyclopedia salesmen went door to door. We had a full set of encyclopedias, they sure looked good on the book shelf. Does anyone still have encyclopedias?
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

I'm 67 and I remember it all. Kids could play outside alone and no one worried about them being taken. We also had a President who supported the Constitution and respected our Soldiers, Sailors and Marines.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u2c View Post
    Yes, but do you still have your Oscar Meyer weinnie whistle? Found mine and it took me a couple of blast to remember the fingering for the jingle.
    Nope, but my wife still has the Oscar Meyer weenie ring I gave her when we were VERY young!

Speaking of radio, I can remember getting to stay up later on Saturday night to listen to The Lone Ranger!!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Speaking of radio, I can remember getting to stay up later on Saturday night to listen to The Lone Ranger!!!
    Here's a few episodes if you want to take a walk down memory lane.

The Lone Ranger OTR - Free Old Time Radio Shows - Download OTR Shows MP3's

bosco

I used to watch Flash Gordon...seemed pretty real at the time.

Remember Howdy Doody and the Mickey Mouse Club? I was in love with Annette (along with millions of other 10 year olds).

On innocence...
    I can remember sex talks with the the kids on the street...I actually said, "Maybe YOUR parents would do that, but mine NEVER would."

I went to a Catholic elementary school. The nuns used to 'terrorize' us, and I was always amazed how they turned into such sweet nuns when ever a parent or the pastor would show up at the door.
    Any other Catholic school 'survivors' out there?

Thanks for the post!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Any other Catholic school 'survivors' out there?
    Nuns through the 8th grade and Jesuits for 4 years of high school .

And I have the scars to prove it.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

I'm pushing 40, and have no illusions that my childhood years were better or worse than any others...just different. Of course, I was in the Army "back when it was hard..."
    Pushing 40!?!?!?!?!?! Army Hard

I'm pushing 60 and when I say Marine Boot Camp was hard I'm talking about the DI's knuckles

I grew up in a "Leave it to Beaver" neighborhood, mothers stayed home to raise their kids (.gov didn't take 50% of dad's pay) playing football didn't mean sitting in front of the TV with a game controller in your hands, 60% of the kids were not morbidly obese. A 6 year old boy could walk a mile along a highway to buy BBs, we carries Buck sheath folders to school, during hunting season we took our shotguns on the bus in the morning and walked home shooting rabbits, squirrel and quail. A 12 year old could buy an M-1 carbine at the neighborhood hardware store, yea there were some problems but it wasn't as bad as your public school indoctrinators would have you believe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links