Black And White?? Remember The Days?? - Page 3

Black And White?? Remember The Days??

This is a discussion on Black And White?? Remember The Days?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's all perspective I guess. My family was decimated during the holocaust, fled to the USA during the 1950s, and were discriminated against for coming ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black And White?? Remember The Days??

It's all perspective I guess. My family was decimated during the holocaust, fled to the USA during the 1950s, and were discriminated against for coming from the Soviet Union.

Then again, going to college in rural eastern Canada, I did get a taste of the "old times". The town had one traffic light, no one locked doors, there were town parades, harvest festivals, civic associations were strong, kids played ice hockey on the frozen ponds, hunting shotguns being brought to school, etc.

Some of the ugly side came out too, such as strong religious intolerance, distrust of outsiders/foreigners, etc.

Trashing on the younger generation is a rite of passage for every human that lives long enough to be able to do it. I'm sure I'll do it too.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    OPFOR you gotta be older than 40 to remember Jim Crow laws, McCarthyism and thalidomide.

I won't dispute sexual discrimination, the threat of nuclear war, and Love Canal were bad.

I haven't travelled as much as you, but I've gotten around and the USA is one of the least xenophobic countries I've been to. Proxy wars are a good deal more attractive than the alternatives. DDT is not the devil the environmentalists made it out to be, and radium clocks are no more dangerous than mercury thermometers.

I remember my childhood as being a good deal less nanny-state than what we have today. And more real - we had to actually go out and ask if our friends could play in person (kids didn't call on the phone much), we made up our own games, walked on top of stone walls, played with firecrackers and smoke bombs, staying out all day until it was dark, then going home to dinner. We'd catch lightning bugs (fireflies) and put them in jars at night.

I may be getting old and grouchy, but this society sure doesn't seem to be improving much.

I was born in '58. I miss those days. My wife and I compare then to now all the time. There are lot's of things from the past I wish we had back.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I'm 21. This place you speak of.... It sounds magical.
    I got tastes of it. I'm 22 and when I was a kid, if I got bored I went "outside." I always thought it was pretty nice out there. I've got multiple scars from various escapades in the great outdoors and I remember the story for most of them. Like when I took half the skin off my kneecap in a bike accident. I could touch the bone, I thought it was pretty neat actually. Until the peroxide came.

I also used to (and still do) enjoy "reading." Great fun to be had there, with that thing called "imagination." I did have a game system as a kid. It was an Atari. I played Frogger and Centipede on it.

I also remember being "swatted" as a kid. Twice. I learned my lesson real quick, I was a smart kid.

Ah, the good old days. Even at 22 I can tell the difference between when I was a kid and now.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I remember watching Flash Gordon (Dale Arden was a babe), Leave it to Beaver, The Mickey Mouse club, Friday night fights (with my Grandfather), and how about Victory at Sea?

Born in Chicago, I also watched Bozo's Circus and Kukla, Fran and Ollie and who could forget "Two Ton Baker"?

VIP Member
    OPFOR you gotta be older than 40 to remember Jim Crow laws, McCarthyism and thalidomide.
    I can read. I could have posted all the good and bad things about the 70s, but that wasn't what we were discussing.

Pushing 40!?!?!?!?!?! Army Hard?
    It's a joke. Just like every generation thinks "their" generation was awesome and those "dang kids" are all screwed up (and will certainly destroy civilization within the next six months), every generation of soldiers likes to talk about how hard things were "back when I was in." Exactly as you did.

I grew up rural, had guns, took knives to school, played outside all day (then moved to the beach and REALLY played outside all day), watched black and white TV on the local UHF channels, etc. I'm just realistic enough to know that time changes perceptions, and that the US (or anywhere else) was never as idyllic as some would like to propose. I know I now reflect back on my days in the Rangers with fondness, but let me tell you, a whole bunch of it sucked royal eggs.

I know it makes people feel better/superior to disparage what isn't "theirs," and I say go for it. It's just intellectually and historically dishonest.

Sorry to be a downer, but I've got to call 'em as I see 'em.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have shoes older than most of you!

When radio, "the theater of the mind" was the only form of entertainment.
    We also had Saturday double feature movies with a newsreel and cartoons.

Good Humor ice cream from a white uniform clad bike rider in the summer.
    A knife in every boys pocket.

Cooking Mickey's (potatoes) over open fires. Hunting in the woods of Staten Island, which was about 90% unpopulated.

Also a mackrel snapper, with the raised knuckles of the Nuns ruler.

My head is about to explode whith what is happening in this great country.

I have hope in the future of the USA because of the people like you, my fellow DCers.

God Bless America!!!

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

Never had to change the channel, we only had one.

Brushing the snow off the seat of the outhouse in the winter.

5 people on our party line telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    ...for us kids. Dad never got up to do it.
    That's because "you" were his remote!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I remember a lot of this. That's all we did was play outside. We didn't have video games or computers. Footballs, baseballs, frisbees, basketballs, bicycles (if you were lucky). We got cuts, scrapes, etc. Drank water from the garden hose when we got hot and thirsty.

Kids today don't have a clue how easy they have it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

When we weren't playing baseball , basketball or football, we were usually doing bike hikes in near 100 deg heat with a canteen full of water on our hip or walking the railroad tracks down to the river to shoot our .22s, to fish or both. We filled the canteens at a few springs we managed to find in the woods and no one worried about the water quality. It must have been good, though, because no one got sick from drinking it.

My husband remembers the "fog" trucks (DDT) going down the main streets in his little NE town to kill off the mosquitoes. I remember playing with balls of mercury from my dads old hearing aid batteries (salesman). Amazing we're alive today!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Back in the days when changing the channel meant walking to the T.V. and turning a knob...........
    I was so excited when we got a 'clicker' remote to change the channels.

Howdy doody time... "Plunk your magic twanger froggie"

Ramar of the Jungle (Andy's gang)
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I remember easier times, maybe not better, but easier. I still perfer these times I live in now for I have a lot of good things that I don't want to give up or I enjoy. So to say back then was better for them maybe, I won't say it as mentioned here, I'm shy 50 years by a few months and every decade has had good times and bad times for me.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links