Black And White?? Remember The Days??

This is a discussion on Black And White?? Remember The Days?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry the pictures didn't come through, but us "old folks" will remember everything from the text................... "Good night and God bless." Go all the way ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black And White?? Remember The Days??

VIP Member

Black And White?? Remember The Days??

Sorry the pictures didn't come through, but us "old folks" will remember everything from the text...................

"Good night and God bless."

Go all the way to the bottom past the pictures... I think you'll enjoy it. Whoever wrote this must have been my next door neighbor because it totally described my childhood to a 'T.' Hope you enjoy it.

Black and White

Black and White (Under age 40? You won't understand.)
    You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
    Pull a chair up to the TV set,

'Good Night, David.
    Good Night, Chet.'
    My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to getfood poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter and I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e..coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE...and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.
    Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either; because if we did we got our butt spanked there and then we got our butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off.

Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house.

Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighbourhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family.

How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes?

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA; AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

I'm 21. This place you speak of.... It sounds magical.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Back in the days when changing the channel meant walking to the T.V. and turning a knob...........
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.
    And the attention after you got home was even worse.

And remember sliding down a hill using an old piece of linoleum.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Back in the days when changing the channel meant walking to the T.V. and turning a knob...........
    ...for us kids. Dad never got up to do it.

A RC Cola & a Moon pie, Drank at the store so we did'nt have to pay for the
    bottles, Got to drive the Truck in the woods, Running dogs @ age of 10 ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Black and white????
    How about Straight Arrow and The Shadow, with no screen at all.

My grandfather would've marveled that the technology in this day and age.

Just think, maybe 'just' 30 years ago, folks didn't "pay" for TV (cable), bottled water, cell phone service, and internet service.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Black and white????
    How about Straight Arrow and The Shadow, with no screen at all.
    Bingo!

Nothing like listening to The Shadow on my home-made radio after I was sent to bed.

I still have my Captain Midnight decoder ring somewhere.

I'll never forget sitting with my Grandfather and listening to the news during WWII, and watching him move stick pin around a world map as he tried to guess where my father and uncles were (most in the Pacific, albeit he did lose one son, before he reached 18, in the North Atlantic guarding a convoy).

No embedded reporters with live-up-to-the-minute reports back then, which must likely helped win the war.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I remember that era but it was just that, an era. I prefer life today.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    ♪... AAAAAAAAA Horse is a horse, of course, of course, and noone can talk to a horse of course.... ♪
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    ♪... AAAAAAAAA Horse is a horse, of course, of course, and noone can talk to a horse of course.... ♪
    Mr. Ed was a zebra. Not a horse. Due to black and white TV nobody had a clue though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I'm 21. This place you speak of.... It sounds magical.
    IMHO, the real magic was going out alone, or with another young boy, for hours -- swimming, fishing, hunting, just exploring, etc.

FWIIW, my grandfather gave me a pocket knife before I was 6 and I carried it every day every where -- even after I started school. In fact, I carried a pocket knife up until I reported to PI and they made be send it home and then gave me a bayonet -- never did figure that out.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sponsor
    Yes, but do you still have your Oscar Meyer weinnie whistle? Found mine and it took me a couple of blast to remember the fingering for the jingle.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

ABC Wide World of Sports......... The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat............remember the ski jumper?

Now there is no victory, and without victory, there can be no defeat.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links