Video game commandos

This is a discussion on Video game commandos within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This may not apply to the older generation of members here but does anyone else get annoyed with people who think they know everything about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video game commandos

Video game commandos

This may not apply to the older generation of members here but does anyone else get annoyed with people who think they know everything about guns because they play games like call of duty?
    I was just talking to a guy and he started talking about the ACR. He went on and on about how amazing it is and finally I asked him what caliber it is chambered for (it comes with a barrel for 5.56 and a barrel to swap out to 6.8), he didn't even understand the question. So I asked him what size ammo he would buy for it and his answer was "755" .
    I run into these kinds of people more and more and it gets so annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Remove Ads

Not yet..
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

These would be the same people who would either wet their pants if they saw a real gun, or hurt themselves (or those nearby) if shooting a real gun.

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    This may not apply to the older generation of members here but does anyone else get annoyed with people who think they know everything about guns because they play games like call of duty?
    I was just talking to a guy and he started talking about the ACR. He went on and on about how amazing it is and finally I asked him what caliber it is chambered for (it comes with a barrel for 5.56 and a barrel to swap out to 6.8), he didn't even understand the question. So I asked him what size ammo he would buy for it and his answer was "755" .
    I run into these kinds of people more and more and it gets so annoying. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes, the are close in nature to a friend of mine who thinks he knows all there is to know about hand gunning after attending a one day clinic at Camp Perry with bullseye shooters. Yes he plays Call of Duty or whatever the latest one is...

They are for the most part the same people that will fondle the Desert Eagle if they ever walk into a gun shop.

Heh, yeah I know the type. I help run an online gaming community actually so I'm quite familiar with them. They amuse me to no end.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Absolutely. It's funny to watch my son give the verbal smack down to his friends when they display this attitude... Since he's been around real guns his whole life and at least knows the basics of the most common firearms, he's light years ahead of his CoD playing peers.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Yeah, I do always find it funny. As an aside though, I know that COD is huge among the Marine Corps infantry. I don't know why, but it is. Its funny to get a team of us who really know what we are doing with those weapons and smack down some people.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Yeah, I do always find it funny. As an aside though, I know that COD is huge among the Marine Corps infantry. I don't know why, but it is. Its funny to get a team of us who really know what we are doing with those weapons and smack down some people.
    I play the games too. They are fun to play but some people don't quite get that its just a game. If your entire knowledge of guns comes from video games you should not be allowed to own one lol.
    Another example: I was looking at cheytac's website the other day and one of the guy's from my shop looked at my screen and said "they got that from COD, it always kills with one shot", yes according to him cheytac got their rifle design from a video game

VIP Member
    I play the games too. They are fun to play but some people don't quite get that its just a game. If your entire knowledge of guns comes from video games you should not be allowed to own one lol.
    Another example: I was looking at cheytac's website the other day and one of the guy's from my shop looked at my screen and said "they got that from COD, it always kills with one shot", yes according to him cheytac got their rifle design from a video game
    I have not met one of these people yet but I think I would fall out of my chair laughing at them.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    ummm, i learned how to shoot from COD,

seriously though, umm i do resemble the remark about fondling a Desert Eagle, their just so beautiful
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    Yep. My son plays COD online with his college buddies.

My son also owns some of the weapons used, and has shot most of them at one time or another. Occasionally he has to interject some reality to those that think they know what they are talking about when it comes to guns.

I once got in an amusing discussion online about .50 BMG rifles. It became apparent to me that several involved only knew what they knew from online games, none of them had ever shot one. It was interesting to watch them argue with me, since I own two and have shot many hundreds of rounds through them.

The video game commandos, they know everything,even when they dont.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Not exactly, but last week I did run into a guy who proceded to announce: "L1-R1-L2-R1 down - right - up"... then proceded to pretend that he was shooting me with a rocket launcher.... takes all sorts, I guess.

Curious, did you enlighten him as to what he was actually talking about?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    The only gun video games I would ever play would be in an arcade in which I would be replicating the shooting of a gun, not some push button controls on some Playstation or some other video game. The only value a gun video game for an arcade is for developing reflexes, hand-eye coordination and judgemental shooting skillsets. It can also desensitize you toward violence, which is a good thing for mature people but bad for those who don't know right from wrong. Perhaps, there is also a video game, "Police 911" where you do some movement such as ducking and squatting to replicate use of cover/concealment, which also raises the heart rate. As for any gun-related arcade station I always handle the plastic guns as if I am shooting a real gun. Other than that, video games at the arcade are just recreation that I do once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Not exactly, but last week I did run into a guy who proceded to announce: "L1-R1-L2-R1 down - right - up"... then proceded to pretend that he was shooting me with a rocket launcher.... takes all sorts, I guess.

Curious, did you enlighten him as to what he was actually talking about?
    Of course I did. Unfortunately I bet I could ask him the same question today and he wouldn't remember a word I said.

2 of my friends are exactly that. It gets annoying quickly.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links