What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? - Page 3

What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

This is a discussion on What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 21bubba You have said more in two sentences than some have in multiple paragraphs. A rare point of agreement not just with ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

VIP Member

A rare point of agreement

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    You have said more in two sentences than some have in multiple paragraphs.
    A rare point of agreement not just with you but also with Zacci, SatC, and Gasmitty.

But, it would by no means be a one for one switch in which one worker leaves, one job gets opened.

If there were suddenly 5% less people here, there would be less demand for food, clothes, gasoline, medical services, educational services. And employment in those sectors would go down.

A dollar earned here has a multiplier effect estimated at 1:3. A dollar not earned here would also have a multiplier effect. Local small business from PayDay lenders and wire services to small grocers and pharmacies would all lose a segment of their business.

These losses and the consequences and consequences
    of a sudden and large scale out-migration very very difficult to predict.

Problems created over decades usually can not get solved in a few days or a few months. They need long term solutions.

And Gasmitty is correct when he writes of what many employers would do: " They would do with American workers what they do with illegal aliens, which is continue to pay cash wages. Out here in AZ Iíve seen it happen."

Indeed. I've seen it happen as well. The sad thing about this sort of act is that it not only cheats the employee, it especially cheats Uncle Sam of the payroll and income taxes due. In other words, the unscrupulous employer engaged in such acts cheats all of us.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't know what would happen, but I'd like to find out. As I've said before, just how many landscapers and fry cooks does the US need?
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Everyone might also want to observe that the article was written by Tina Griego, a hispanic!
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

It would be nice not to have illegals for once.Only have to deal with crime from Americans, not illegals. Health care cost could go down. No more free health care.Got real tired of paying for free health care, as my care goes up.I work for what I have and went by the rules. It's called being responsible for yourself.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Merischino: the truth, or even the possibility that one's deeply held emotional beliefs may not be entirely supported by the facts - is often unpopular. Unfortunately, this is often a board of "simple" answers that are, in fact, no answers at all. To look deeply into an issue and examine the complexities of it is somehow weak, or unAmerican, or something...

I haven't entirely given up on trying to show alternatives to the "drop the bomb, exterminate them all" mentality that often crops up when a serious societal issue is examined, but I wonder how long one can beat their head against that particular wall...

I, for one, welcome your alternative viewpoint, even if I don't agree with everything you put forth.

Illegitimus non carborundum.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    How about we let them join the "Free Mexican-American Legion," arm them and send them to Mexico City to execute a coup and form their own welfare state, or form a true constitutional republic and petition the USA for statehood.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Give them arms and they will just use them to take more from us.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

We can replace all deported illegal aliens with people already in the queue who have applied for legal residency. We end up with basically the same demographics - it is "racially" neutral. We replace a group of people whose only common cultural attribute is disdain for the rule of law with a group who is willing to obey the law. We also get a group of people who really would like to become Americans.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    We can replace all deported illegal aliens with people already in the queue who have applied for legal residency. We end up with basically the same demographics - it is "racially" neutral. We replace a group of people whose only common cultural attribute is disdain for the rule of law with a group who is willing to obey the law. We also get a group of people who really would like to become Americans.
    That's actually an interesting idea... Some sort of "one for one" swap. Do you think legal residents, and those petitioning for it, would get behind closing the border and clearing out some of the illegal aliens in this scenario?

While it's probably unworkable from a practical (and legal) standpoint, it's a cool concept.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Legal immigrants and the military are two necessities of our current civilizations. Otherwise the economy wouldn't hold up and we would all be forced to worship religions and accept state structures (fascism) we might not agree with.

We can have legal immigrants work for less. All our families had to do it at one point in our history. It's like getting our bones. When we are all young and start at company, we start at the bottom. Same for immigrants.

Why are we the only nation that doesn't do internment/refugee camps now days. We need to identify, round up, and deport the illegals in a humane manner right now.
    We did this to the germans, Japanese, and Italians during WW2. They got over it.
    I don't want my kids growing up and people being ugly to them because of their skin color. Lets fix this now!

What part of "illegal aliens"is missed understood?
    Where I come from illegal is illegal,plain an simple.

Quote Originally Posted by KWAG View Post
    What part of "illegal aliens"is missed understood?
    Where I come from illegal is illegal,plain an simple.
    You got it, and it's simple.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member

re: Burg Dog--- probably not

Quote Originally Posted by BurgDog View Post
    We can replace all deported illegal aliens with people already in the queue who have applied for legal residency.
    Probably not. There are 6 categories of folks eligible for legal residency with a permanent status and most of these categories require some sort of skill or qualification/education beyond what is found in agricultural employment. The others are admitted because of family relationships.

Lots of the backlog amongst folks seeking legal residency is among the people looking to come to be with spouses, parents, children etc., and this group won't be doing the backbreaking labor when they get here.
    The others tend to be nurses, doctors, professors, clergy, sports figures, PhDs in science or in engineering shortage categories. These too won't be doing the backbreaking labor. And another group, the ultra wealthy (e.g., a Rupert Murdoch who was admitted here based on personal fortune) won't be doing the labor either.

Now, that doesn't mean we can't change the categories and qualifications. However, there will still be a loud clamor from the business community for temp. work visas, and the business folks will get their way. In the end the only difference from today will be that Carlos and Juan will be here with papers.

VIP Member

re: OPFOR no answers

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Merischino: the truth..... Unfortunately, this is often a board of "simple" answers that are, in fact, no answers at all.
    That sums it up nicely, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That sums it up nicely, I think.
    Truth is simple, just takes guts and strong conviction to act on it in the correct manner.Some doesn't seem to have.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links