What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? - Page 4

What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

This is a discussion on What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 How about we let them join the "Free Mexican-American Legion," arm them and send them to Mexico City to execute a ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    How about we let them join the "Free Mexican-American Legion," arm them and send them to Mexico City to execute a coup and form their own welfare state, or form a true constitutional republic and petition the USA for statehood.
    Novel idea; let me ponder that for awhile.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    In the end the only difference from today will be that Carlos and Juan will be here with papers.
    That is a significant difference in itself. People who have proof of permission (what the papers really are, the permission is important the papers not so much) are those who have demonstrated respect for our country and rule of law replacing those who have a demonstrated distain for our country and rule of law. I think that is a great trade. Carlos and Juan with papers would be a great addition to our population and likely will be very good citizens.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    But who would spend a month or two picking blueberries in Maine? Those that live in Maine don't want to do the back breaking work even though good money can be made in that short period of time. They would rather stay on unemployment and food stamps than earn an honest buck.
    [QUOTE=Jeangordon;1684761]I have to agree with this.... I wonder if California's agricultural business would lose billions with no one around to pick crops..[/QUOTE

^^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
    What you two are overlooking is the fact that the vast majority of seasonal farm/crop immigrant help are registered and here LEGALLY on work visas.

The article is speaking directly to the ILLEGAL bums here. Not the LEGAL ones
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Merischino: the truth, or even the possibility that one's deeply held emotional beliefs may not be entirely supported by the facts - is often unpopular. Unfortunately, this is often a board of "simple" answers that are, in fact, no answers at all. To look deeply into an issue and examine the complexities of it is somehow weak, or unAmerican, or something...

I haven't entirely given up on trying to show alternatives to the "drop the bomb, exterminate them all" mentality that often crops up when a serious societal issue is examined, but I wonder how long one can beat their head against that particular wall...

I, for one, welcome your alternative viewpoint, even if I don't agree with everything you put forth.

Illegitimus non carborundum.
    I(surprise) have to disagree with you. Not every problem has to have a overly complicated answer. These people are here illegally. Any solution that doesn't take that simple fact into consideration is absurd. Changing a law because it won't be enforced is also absurd.

I'm sure there would have to be adjustments made if all illegal's were sent home, but the path we are on now is full of adjustments we can't continue to make.

I also suggest that if you're growing tired of beating "their" heads against a wall maybe you should reflect on who needs the "beating".

Gas prices here should go down, with that many fewer drivers.

What we consider it : "illegal immigrants" ..... people who violated our laws and our security.

What Obama considers it :; "undocumented workers" ...... potential voters.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Gas prices here should go down, with that many fewer drivers.

What we consider it : "illegal immigrants" ..... people who violated our laws and our security.

What Obama considers it :; "undocumented workers" ...... potential voters.
    The undocumented workers line always makes me mad. They are just trying to get pity for them so that they can push through some kind of amnesty. How many of those undocumented workers "work" in the drug trade and are in gangs? I don't have the answer but I'd be willing to bet that its not a low number.

throwing ideas out there. none of these are anything I have ever thought of for more than the time it is taking me to make this post.

- Evaluate how many of the 20 million are here as refugees from some terror, and make plans for what to do with them in a manner different than how you plan to address issues presented by folk who are drug traffickers, human traffickers, and the like. What you do with them could be the same as what you do with the real filth, or it could be different and humane and incorporate the reality that America has throughout history exerted a lot of effort to define it's driving ethics as including setting a priority on things like Human Rights and humane treatment whether it takes place within or outside our borders

-Figure out a way, if deportation is the desired answer for all 20 million regardless of whether or not crime or salvation or perhaps the more simple and more broad: "the chance to hope for something better" was the reason for violating immigration policy in getting here, to enact a plan for achieving our goal (here defined as: reduce and ultimately eliminate "illegal immigrant" population in America).

This could include implementing policies like different criteria for getting folks here (broaden or change qualification categories for people applying),

Or maybe by instituting a deportation plan which sends folks back to families they send money to elsewhere with the instructions to please apply for immigration from outside our borders and expect your answer to your application withing existing guidelines, providing a "refugee exemption" option for those here already but not able to return for fear of death to have some work-stay plan which involves them going to employment areas (not internment camps) where even unskilled labor could provide actual benefit to our country while their chance to stay continues to benefit them.

Or perhaps we could come up with some kind of grand organization not unlike Teachers for America except have it be be designed for the purpose of specifically training existing non criminal illegal aliens for jobs which pay enough for them to be able to pay taxes. And instead of thinking of people based on the fact of their lack of documents (yes, an illegal and problematic issue) as defining them as scum or filth or full of disdain for America. In most cases, I think these people idolize America in just so grand a way that they are making their life's work doing everything in their power to figure out how to make THIS the place they and their family and the generations to come where they live. I could be wrong. They may hate us, hate it here, and do nothing but sit around and think about how truly shitty America is.

And come up with plans for how to re-design employment law (and enforcement) in America to, at the same time we make our deportation plans and revised immigration laws and what have you, build an America with a mindset where "illegal" is "illegal" whether it's on the side of the worker OR the employer. If there are consequences for being an illegal worker, there should be consequences for being an illegal employer. Every worker that gets deported includes an employer that gets shut down. Every worker that gets put on some sort of "not deported but saved in a way we can as a country agree meets all our mutual needs" includes an employer being responsible for financially making that option possible, having already chosen that employee as more important to their business and bottom line that obeying the laws of their country.

For folks (myself included) who were fortunate enough to have been born within our borders by virtue of the fact of our forefathers having been pioneering Come To America immigrants in prior generations, we could try to think about this issue in a way that would not, by definition, have eliminated for our parents or their parents or their parents' parents opportunity to be in, live in, work in, and build families in, America.

I think how we treat this issue (no matter the final answer) will do a lot to define what America is, and is going to be, for the next several centuries not just for the next 6 months to 10 years. I think we should approach the issue with a long-term "our forefathers" kind of viewpoint. Ultimately, create a policy document like the constitution, as brief as possible. as far-reaching as possible. as broadly applicable as possible.

And spend as much time as we want in the crafting of it.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    One other benefit not mentioned is that auto insurance rates would probably go down, with fewer non licensed, non insured drivers on the road!
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    One other benefit not mentioned is that auto insurance rates would probably go down, with fewer non licensed, non insured drivers on the road!
    Wouldn't that be nice.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Jeangordon View Post
    I wonder if California's agricultural business would lose billions with no one around to pick crops..
    Who picked the crops before illegals? What's wrong with legal guest workers?
    And you know what? I'll pay more for lettuce and save on my taxes without all the "programs" for illegals. Not to mention my auto insurance could go down because of fewer crashes by illegals who can't drive, my health insurance could go down with fewer illegals in the emergency room with a cold, and the cops won't need to be arresting all the gangs.

Get over this idea that we have to have illegals. We don't.

VIP Member

re: Guns and more

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    What's wrong with legal guest workers?
    Keeping in mind the whole immigration thing is very complex and has a human and moral dilemma--

The problems with a legal guest worker program seem to me to include:

1) Ever expanding demands by employers to bring in more and more. In the end you get the same result of depressed wages and too few jobs, and an underclass presence with crime etc.

2) There is no good way to assure the guests leave.

Now, is it better than the de-facto guest worker program we have presently? Of course. But a guest worker program isn't really a good answer and hasn't worked well in the past. A huge part of the reason we needed an amnesty program in the 1980s was the guests who never left.

Our choice is to import food (which we currently do perhaps to excess) or pay more for our food, or let the migrants in and pay less for food today, more for social and political dislocation tomorrow.

All bad choices. This is what happens when we let the business community dictate the rules to Congress and not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Get over this idea that we have to have illegals. We don't.
    exactly. other countries do just fine with out illegals.. its other things bringing them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This is what happens when we let the business community dictate the rules to Congress and not the other way around.
    If by business community you mean the people who rule Obama and Congress, I might agree. Joe sixpack trying to keep afloat with his welding shop, not so much.
    The world powers have ordered Obama (and Bush before) that we WILL have a new world order (where did I hear that? Bush 41) Do you think Obama and Napolitano don't know people are dying at the border? Of course they do, but they have their orders, "The border will NOT be secured no matter how many Americans are killed." When you're ordering the president around, you must have big power, and it's not votes.

Agriculture has always relied on cheap labor. We started with Slaves, then Sharecroppers, then Children, and today Mexicans. Yes, Mexicans, the vast majority of Migrant Workers are from Mexico. One thing for absolute sure is that the price of food in the US would rise very quickly. In fact, we may import more food than we do now.
    I don't consider myself pro or anti immigration but it does concern me when any group of people get the blame for so many of societies evils. IMHO we should be addressing the policies that allow employers to hire undocumented workers, send welfare checks to non-citizens and force hospitals to treat non-emergency patients without cash or insurance. If there were no American companies hiring undocumented workers I am certain the tide would recede on it's own.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Agriculture has always relied on cheap labor. We started with Slaves, then Sharecroppers, then Children, and today Mexicans. Yes, Mexicans, the vast majority of Migrant Workers are from Mexico. One thing for absolute sure is that the price of food in the US would rise very quickly. In fact, we may import more food than we do now.
    I don't consider myself pro or anti immigration but it does concern me when any group of people get the blame for so many of societies evils. IMHO we should be addressing the policies that allow employers to hire undocumented workers, send welfare checks to non-citizens and force hospitals to treat non-emergency patients without cash or insurance. If there were no American companies hiring undocumented workers I am certain the tide would recede on it's own.
    Why can't this be looked at as a simple "supply and demand" problem? Cut off either one and you solve the problem, and a secure border is the simplest way.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links