What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

This is a discussion on What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Non-citizens don't have a right to vote, so how exactly is it that illegals represent votes? Certainly not until they somehow ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Non-citizens don't have a right to vote, so how exactly is it that illegals represent votes? Certainly not until they somehow become legal, and then somehow become citizens. Under present circumstances that should be never.

What you are really charging and concerned with is that citizens of South or Central American origin might vote their own interests, as does each and every group and sub-group within our society.

Were you complaining when the FL Cuban community voted solidly with one side of the political spectrum?
    I'm not going to get into it with you buddy, but they won't be illegal long when the powers to be legalize them for votes. Done said more than I should have but folks just won't believe.

Boze out, aint saying nothing else cause I'll get kicked if I do!
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    key word "should never happen" but it can. present circumstances are changing. they've changed in the past. amnesty happened once. it can happen again. and who do they all vote for now? more likley the party who granted them amnesty.
    Ah, see, it really pays to know the history about what you are saying before you put fingers to the keyboard. What year do you think amnesty happened?
    Who was the President who signed the legislation?

Which party really pushed for it?
    Which Senators really pushed for it?
    Why?

From Wiki:
    "The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), Pub.L. 99-603, 100 Stat. 3359, enacted November 6, 1986, also Simpson-Mazzoli Act,--granted a path towards legalization to certain agricultural seasonal workers and immigrants who had been continuously and illegally present in the United States since January 1, 1982-- " in other words granted amnesty.

The ever so beloved Mr. Reagan signed this legislation, he favored this legislation. And do note, the law is named for Senator Allan Simpson.
    Here is some information about him, again from Wiki: "Alan Kooi Simpson (born September 2, 1931, in Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.) is a Republican politician who served from 1979 to 1997" (Well the verb should be was, but the party affiliation is accurate.)

So if you had partisan concerns, well, look at the history.

Now, none of us know the future. We haven't a dang clue what any voting block will do in the future, but one thing we do know; illegals are not supposed to vote, currently have no path toward what would allow them to vote--citizenship-- and so it seems that this concern which you have raised is a tad premature, if not fantastical.

VIP Member

re: OPFOR

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

Also, read the lawsuit. I completely agree with the intent of the Arizona law, but there are some serious Constitutional issues with it (not insurmountable, perhaps, but issues). Since most of the members here portent to be "Constitutionalists," it might be worth actually reading about the challenges that the Arizona law has launched against that august document...
    They were for our Constitution before they were against it.
    Amazing.

Thumbs up

Back on topic,What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? Know one thing, our country would be better for it!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Yep. Just like we stopped the drug problem by making that commodity illegal, and spending hundreds of billions of dollars (trillions by now?) to cut off the supply. And Prohibition - wasn't it great that there was NO alcohol in the entire country for those 13 years? There are two utterly resounding success stories regarding the elimination of a commodity by stopping the supply, right? Sure glad there are no drugs in the US anymore...

As for Mexico guarding its southern border...sure they do. But do you know where the vast majority of Central and South American illegals come from? Right - across the Mexican border. BOTH of them. Obviously, those Mexican laws you seek to emulate don't work worth a squat either.

It just isn't that simple, chest pounding and self-soothing behaviors aside.

Also, read the lawsuit. I completely agree with the intent of the Arizona law, but there are some serious Constitutional issues with it (not insurmountable, perhaps, but issues). Since most of the members here portent to be "Constitutionalists," it might be worth actually reading about the challenges that the Arizona law has launched against that august document...
    Are you implying that our southern border can't be sealed? Maybe you know more than you're willing to share? After all you're in Columbia.

I don't know if this was in the discussion already but there are plenty of people who would take these supposed low wage jobs who can't because they don't speak spanish. Once you start hiring people who speak little or no english you have to hire management that speaks spanish then you can't hire english speakers because they can't communicate with the rest of the employees. And I suspect the low level hispanic managers don't want to hire Americans anyway.

No illegals would mean LA freeways would be much easier to use.

What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?
    I would imagine we wouldn't have to "Press 1 for English" anymore.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I would imagine we wouldn't have to "Press 1 for English" anymore.
    Wouldn't that be nice.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member

re: 21bubba and OPFOR

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Are you implying that our southern border can't be sealed? Maybe you know more than you're willing to share? After all you're in Columbia.
    I have a feeling that he has a great deal of knowledge he can't or shouldn't share. That makes his viewpoint very valuable.

VIP Member
    I'm not implying it, I'm stating it outright. There is no way to physically secure the border to ensure, 100%, that nothing we don't want to cross it crosses it. Put 1,000,000 troops on the border, and 1,000 of them will be bought off. Absolute security is a fiction at any level, much more so when talking about thousands of miles, hundreds of thousands of people, and billions of dollars.

I love how you keep bringing up the fact that I am posted overseas as a detriment to my argument regarding immigration. Yes, Joe Blow sitting on his couch crying “shoot ‘em all” has a much more informed, reasoned, and reasonable opinion that someone who works (albeit peripherally) in the arena, has chased down and arrested people in the US illegally, and who has as a primary function of their job the protection of US citizens – primarily from foreign nationals….
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

You forgot one! 75% of welfare workers would loose their jobs because they wouldn't have anything to do.

Quote Originally Posted by justjim View Post
    You forgot one! 75% of welfare workers would loose their jobs because they wouldn't have anything to do.
    haha I wish. But there a lot of people having a tough time here with the economy. And there are so many single mothers who need help or just don't want to work.

Quote Originally Posted by rspar View Post
    And I suspect the low level hispanic managers don't want to hire Americans anyway.
    It's true. No offence to the youth on this board, but hiring Americans to do entry level work is like hiring Paris Hilton to dig a ditch.
    They just don't have the mentality to get at it and do a good job. (unless taught at home how to really work)

And unfortunately a new slightly desperate immigrant will. Plus the youth today are always texting and getting distracted with their cell phones. But they should just be going to college, learning a trade, or going into the military anyway. Stop stealing jobs from legal immigrants! It's tough enough living 20 to a one bedroom house as it is!

I'm not implying it, I'm stating it outright. There is no way to physically secure the border to ensure, 100%, that nothing we don't want to cross it crosses it. Put 1,000,000 troops on the border, and 1,000 of them will be bought off.
    Nothing is 100%,never has been, but we could learn and do what Israelis doing with their border and yes make them hurt when they do.If so, maybe here in Arizona it wouldn't look like a super highway.More then that it's the will to do it. The Fed's,State & Local boys. One more thing the rules of engagement could be better.There is no fast fix, but just do what has to be done.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Israel has more terror attacks in a week than we have had in our history (hyperbole, but you get the idea) - their borders are just as porous as any other. They build a wall, the BGs dig a tunnel...

I do totally agree, however, that we could do a BETTER job, and that there is no fast fix. The first, and most difficult, step is to put people in office with the political will (and incentive) to take real steps to curb the problem. It will never be a "sealed" border, but it could be much, much less permeable than it is now.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Israel has more terror attacks in a week than we have had in our history (hyperbole, but you get the idea) - their borders are just as porous as any other. They build a wall, the BGs dig a tunnel...

I do totally agree, however, that we could do a BETTER job, and that there is no fast fix. The first, and most difficult, step is to put people in office with the political will (and incentive) to take real steps to curb the problem. It will never be a "sealed" border, but it could be much, much less permeable than it is now.
    You seem like you just don't want to try.Israel is doing a better job then we are, FACT! I don't give up.Hell they get through the DMZ in Korea. So what, try.They come through this state like it's long weekend holiday. If you get in their way they shoot you. US can make it very hard on them. What's the old saying No Guts, No Glory.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links