What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? - Page 7

What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US?

This is a discussion on What would happen if 20 million illegals left the US? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OPFOR I'm not implying it, I'm stating it outright. There is no way to physically secure the border to ensure, 100%, that ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I'm not implying it, I'm stating it outright. There is no way to physically secure the border to ensure, 100%, that nothing we don't want to cross it crosses it. Put 1,000,000 troops on the border, and 1,000 of them will be bought off. Absolute security is a fiction at any level, much more so when talking about thousands of miles, hundreds of thousands of people, and billions of dollars.

I love how you keep bringing up the fact that I am posted overseas as a detriment to my argument regarding immigration. Yes, Joe Blow sitting on his couch crying “shoot ‘em all” has a much more informed, reasoned, and reasonable opinion that someone who works (albeit peripherally) in the arena, has chased down and arrested people in the US illegally, and who has as a primary function of their job the protection of US citizens – primarily from foreign nationals….
    And I love how you seem to believe your opinion should count more for the very same reasons you stated.

You seem to be critical to any plan that remotely involves military action on the border yet military action has been used for centuries all over the world to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    And I love how you seem to believe your opinion should count more for the very same reasons you stated.

You seem to be critical to any plan that remotely involves military action on the border yet military action has been used for centuries all over the world to do just that.
    Your correct,even here in the USA!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Jeangordon View Post
    I have to agree with this.... I wonder if California's agricultural business would lose billions with no one around to pick crops..
    That is actually a small price to pay IMO. Would some business have to make adjustments to how they do business, sure they would. Might it cause hardships for some period of time, yes. But, Americans are resourceful and will make those adjustments and do just fine.

Adios and good riddance
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post

A reasoned, informed opinion should always "count more" than an uninformed, emotionally driven one.

I've served under arms for nearly 20 years, nearly 3 of that in actual armed defense of our nation. I'm not opposed to military action at all, if it is the right response AND if it has a chance of succeeding. I'm not even entirely opposed to military action on the border - hell, I participated in it as a young Private supporting JTF-6 along the border in the early '90s. What I am opposed to is ignorance, emotionally driven responses to problems that require a reasoned response, and the entire "drop the bomb, exterminate them all" mentality. Not only is it amoral, it's entirely impractical. And, above all else, problems require solutions that can actually be implemented, not the blood-soaked fantasies of folks who have no idea what they are actually asking for…
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    A reasoned, informed opinion should always "count more" than an uninformed, emotionally driven one.

I've served under arms for nearly 20 years, nearly 3 of that in actual armed defense of our nation. I'm not opposed to military action at all, if it is the right response AND if it has a chance of succeeding. I'm not even entirely opposed to military action on the border - hell, I participated in it as a young Private supporting JTF-6 along the border in the early '90s. What I am opposed to is ignorance, emotionally driven responses to problems that require a reasoned response, and the entire "drop the bomb, exterminate them all" mentality. Not only is it amoral, it's entirely impractical. And, above all else, problems require solutions that can actually be implemented, not the blood-soaked fantasies of folks who have no idea what they are actually asking for…
    Keep up the good work.Your attitude and actions have served us well.

a quick shout out and thank you to Hopyard and Opfor for bringing some considered thought and rationality to the posts in this thread. I am not well informed enough about this topic to know what I would propose that we, as a nation, do with respect to this problem. I do know, however, that the "out with them all" attitude driving the original post, combined with the attitude and lack of thought behind the majority of posts in this thread, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone who thinks that the solution to our immigration problems is "simple" is mistaken. And anyone who invites or exhorts our leaders to make drastic wide-ranging decisions to the detriment of legal Americans and our economy, saying only "we'll adapt" appears to me to have thought through this issue about as seriously as a person faced with a gun-toting BG who just broke down the door could be considered to have thought things through before saying "Go Ahead, Make My Day....(I'll heal)".
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links