Brazil out!

Brazil out!

This is a discussion on Brazil out! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Argh! Who am I going to root for now?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brazil out!

VIP Member

Brazil out!

Argh! Who am I going to root for now?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think you fail to realize all the bandwagon American soccer fans stopped watching a few days ago, myself included.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Yeah, I know, but I'm an actual fan. Plus, I lived in Brasil for two years and have lots of Brasilian friends and contacts. There's gonna be a rio of tears in Rio tonight...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Yeah, but here in America, we like football, not soccer. Anyways, the only team still in that I would root for is Germany.

But that's just because of my good German/Irish Catholic bloodlines.

But you do still have a couple of South American teams in if you want to root for your continent
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    My continent? I'm Irish Catholic by decent, and I've lived a good few years in SW Asia as well... But, hey, if I have to pick a continent for soccer, I could certainly do worse than SA! (Plus, have you seen the Paraguayan super fans, Dallys Ferreira and Larissa Riquelme? Google them, and tell me you don't like soccer... )

All that said, American football is my favorite sport, and I'm chomping at the bit until September. Until then, though, the beautiful game will have to tide me over!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    My continent? I'm Irish Catholic by decent, and I've lived a good few years in SW Asia as well... But, hey, if I have to pick a continent for soccer, I could certainly do worse than SA! (Plus, have you seen the Paraguayan super fans, Dallys Ferreira and Larissa Riquelme? Google them, and tell me you don't like soccer... )
    All that said, American football is my favorite sport, and I'm chomping at the bit until September. Until then, though, the beautiful game will have to tide me over!
    I bet your fair irish skin loves the SW asian sun about as much as mine(approximate color I turn in five minutes of direct sunlight)

You certainly know how to get a jarhead to pay attention to soccer, and that is all I can say on this family friendly site.

I have missed the last 3 American football seasons due to work related stuff, so I am really looking forward to this one. Hopefully my buckeyes and Bengals put on a good show this year.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Yeah I was going for Brazil after the US. But now I'm root'in for Argentina just because they are on this side of the pond. I would like to see a Germany/Argentina game.

I really want to see Ghana go far just because they are the last african team. Africa is such a rough place right now. So hard to achieve anything, I'd like to see them win today.

VIP Member
    I'm kind of along your lines, i10, but I just can't bring myself to root for Maradona in any way, shape or form. And it's just too soon for me to support Ghana, after they've knocked us out of two World Cups in a row...as cool as it would be for an African team to win, just not them.

So... Paraguay, because they're underdogs with gorgeous fans? Germany, because of their obvious skill and discipline? Uraquay, because it's the ultimate long shot?

Sigh... Why did the US have to get knocked out already?

It is pretty boring without the US in there.
    I forgive pretty easy, besides Essien's my favorite player.
    If Brazil could not take Holland then they had no chance against Germany. Germany are technical too, but much more aggressive.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    In association football, at the end of 90 minutes, Germany wins.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Espana for the title!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Spain has looked pretty good this Cup. If they can keep from imploding (*cough, cough, Brazil*) they'll be hard to beat. If I look at it objectively, though, I have to say I think Germany is the strongest across the board. If they weren't facing Argentina next, I'd say they were a shoe-in. But since the two best (arguably) teams are going against each other tomorrow morning, all bets are off...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Spain has looked pretty good this Cup. If they can keep from imploding (*cough, cough, Brazil*) they'll be hard to beat. If I look at it objectively, though, I have to say I think Germany is the strongest across the board. If they weren't facing Argentina next, I'd say they were a shoe-in. But since the two best (arguably) teams are going against each other tomorrow morning, all bets are off...
    Yeah. I think they got the jitters out in the early group play and are now on course. I hope Germany beats Argentina, but I think Spain goes all the way - I've been wrong before.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Go Holland!!
    (What can I say... my ancestors are Dutch.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Uruguay is my new pick, no doubt. Luis Suarez is a cheating national hero. Amazing game.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links