How come no one riots when a cop is killed?

This is a discussion on How come no one riots when a cop is killed? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am so sick of this. I am still reading this article, but I had to post about it. When was the last time Caucasians ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come no one riots when a cop is killed?

I am so sick of this. I am still reading this article, but I had to post about it. When was the last time Caucasians rioted when a cop was killed? I know it sounds like I am being racist. I honestly am not. For all I know at this point, the cop may be bad, I don't yet know as I just heard about this. My only point is that why is one person more important than another? Whether they are black, brown, purple or green, you never see the public outcry over the death of a police officer, regardless of the circumstances. Is it okay for a cop to die? Try asking his family or coworkers and friends.
    I am so sick of this crap!!!

Oakland braces for possible riots as verdict approaches - CNN.com

Oakland braces for possible riots as verdict approaches
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Oakland police and mayor warning people to be peaceful
    * Former police officer is accused of shooting unarmed man
    * There have been riots in the past about this issue

San Francisco, California (CNN) -- Police are bracing for riots in Oakland, California as a verdict nears in a racially-charged murder trial of a white former police officer accused of killing an unarmed black man.

On the Oakland Police Department website there are messages from the police chief and Oakland's mayor warning people to stay calm.

"We anticipate that regardless of the verdict reached by the jury, demonstrations could occur in downtown Oakland, and potentially throughout the city," one of the messages said. "We will not tolerate destruction or violence. We live here, and we love Oakland. We understand that the community is grieving, and we are in this together. We will get through this together."

Closing arguments are scheduled to conclude Friday in the murder trial of former Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer Johannes Mehserle, said CNN affiliate KTVU reported.

The jury could begin deliberating late Friday. Mehserle could be found not guilty, guilty of murder or guilty of a lesser offense like manslaughter.

Mehserle is accused of fatally shooting an unarmed man on a California train platform on New Year's Day last year.

Mehserle, who is white, has pleaded not guilty to killing Oscar Grant III, a 22-year-old black man.

The shooting was captured on a bystander's cell-phone video camera, widely circulated on the Internet and on news broadcasts, and it spurred several protests and riots in and around Oakland.

The trial has been moved from Alameda County to Los Angeles due to pre-trial publicity.

Bay Area Rapid Transit police were called to Oakland's Fruitvale station January 1, 2009, after passengers complained about fights on a train. Officers pulled several men, including Grant, off the train when it arrived at Fruitvale.

The video showed Mehserle pulling his gun and fatally shooting Grant in the back as another officer kneeled on the unarmed Grant. Mehserle has said at the trial that he intended to draw and fire his Taser rather than his gun, KTVU reported.

Mehserle resigned his position a few days after the incident and was later arrested in Nevada. Mehserle was released on a $3 million bond.

Grant's family filed a $50 million wrongful death lawsuit against the officers involved in the incident.

In January, the transit system agreed to pay $1.5 million to settle the suit. The money will provide financial support to Grant's young daughter.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

The video showed Mehserle pulling his gun and fatally shooting Grant in the back as another officer kneeled on the unarmed Grant. Mehserle has said at the trial that he intended to draw and fire his Taser rather than his gun, KTVU reported.
    Okay, again, I am still reading this. This sounds fishy, but I wasn't there. I can understand the outrage, but why riot? Maybe I would have to live there...
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

You don't riot FOR the system, you riot against. Jeez

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    You don't riot FOR the system, you riot against. Jeez
    I dunno, some cities riot when their team wins, so what are they rioting against?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Ahw, people are tribal and not as civilized as we pretend. I think the last great thing we accomplished, besides better medical knowledge, was the indoor toilet.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I dunno, some cities riot when their team wins, so what are they rioting against?
    thats called a celebration..get it straight or youll fail the test...

VIP Member
    I saw the video and the cop is guilty of killing the man accidentally. The guy was on the ground and other cops were holding him down but the guy kept resisting. The cop on trial calmly produces his weapon and POW one shot. Everyone, even the other cops, were all displaying a shocked reaction. The cop who shot even looked shocked. I believe his claim that he felt he was pulling his taser and just screwed up.

It never says in the article what the charges actually are. Murder? No way! Man slaughter (or some lesser charge)? I'd say probably.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I learned very early that peeing in my trough doesn't do anyone any good, least of all me and mine. Neither does intentionally wrecking my own community. Nor does rioting when nobody's listening, when nobody will hear the intended meaning the riot is supposedly sending.

I will never understand why rioting occurs for so little, and why sometimes rioting doesn't occur when so much is on the line. Whether rioting is worthwhile in the case of "dead cops" depends on the specific cop in question, I would hope since, as you suggest, not all individuals are righteous or good.

Reality is, in communities that are heavily weighted with so many people with a harsh history, such as Oakland, harsh realities continue to exist. That includes handling from the "powers" that differs from how many other communities are handled, as well as responses from the community that differ from how most other communities respond to similar things.

Fact is, I don't live there or in such a community, and I never have. For all I know, as a community Oakland might well have more legitimate reason to riot than most. I don't know. I'm sure that hundreds of social "scientists" are employed trying to nail that one down.

In the end, there isn't much I can do about it, other than: electing responsible, reasonable people to positions of power that I have the responsibility to elect; keeping abreast of issues-of-the-day that I can help to change; keeping me and mine safe and protected from the sorts that would riot for so little, riot just because, or riot because they feel nobody's listening. Guarding against the side-effects of such "rioting" is the right and responsibility of righteous and responsible people. Too bad that it costs so much, when it does occur. May there always be enough responsible people who are strong enough to resist the effects. I suspect we're rapidly approaching a time when that will no longer be the case.

As for such legal cases, one wonders when it'll become commonplace for judges to warn juries against giving weight to threats of violence from communities, real or imagined ... since, I suppose the day is quickly coming when such threats of violence will be able to sway legal opinions. Cracking down on communities for that sort of thing will go down really well, if the simple judgments themselves can't be swallowed nicely. Yeah. God help us, we're careening towards a very hard, very thick, wall of reckoning.

Eeeeee, life is very interesting sometimes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    There almost always IS an outpouring of emotion when a cop is killed, it's just not a randomly violent, destructive outpouring. When my friend and fellow agent was killed by a VBIED in Iraq, his entire home town and half the LEOs in Massachussetts came out and demonstrated - they just demonstrated grief and sorrow and comraderie, not window smashing, car burning, and TV stealing...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    The riots that occur following a shooting in any ghetto reflect the frustration the people hold inside. They hate everything about their lives and can't see any light at the end of the tunnel. They turn their anger against the first target they see which in most cases is their own neighborhood. The shooting is only the catalyst that starts the whole process. In many instances, the people live their entire life one step away from violence and violence is the only answer they know. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. What saddens me the most is, our government spends trillions of tax-payers dollars on people in other countries who still hate us, yet the government never has money to invest in their own people. Welfare and entitlements are not the answer. Their culture of hate, drugs, crime and violence must change. The people need to be part of the process. They need to find pride in honest work for an honest days pay. They need to feel that they are worthwhile and a part of society. Not like other countries, they take our money and hate us for it. The politicians don't seem to care about fixing the problem. They throw money at them for their vote and then it's business as usual. We don't need immigration reform as badly as we need welfare reform. Sorry for the rant.

Administrator
    Some random thoughts.

People get angry & frustrated and they sometimes riot.

The Tea Party people are angry & frustrated but, have shown incredible restraint for such huge crowds. They have never rioted or got violent.

Greece recently suffered through some serious bad rioting.

If our economy crashes like Greece there will be riots everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Some random thoughts.

People get angry & frustrated and they sometimes riot.

The Tea Party people are angry & frustrated but, have shown incredible restraint for such huge crowds. They have never rioted or got violent.

Greece recently suffered through some serious bad rioting.

If our economy crashes like Greece there will be riots everywhere.
    People can be 'animals'...keep your powder dry.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's the level of intelligence.

Individuals can be smart, level headed and calm. "People" are stupid, reactionary and violent. Even smart, level headed and calm people can be stirred up into a frenzy when they are in a crowd. It has been observed time and time again.

That is why I advocate that anyone who carries avoid crowds at all costs. It is far too easy to be swept along in the emotional storm and before you know it, you are in the midst of a disturbance. At the very least you may be in the midst of something happening that you may not be participating in but you are in the middle of nonetheless.

Stay away from crowds, protesters and trouble makers in general. And definitely stay away from drunks.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The riots that occur following a shooting in any ghetto reflect the frustration the people hold inside. They hate everything about their lives and can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
    This comment is closest to the truth of the matter. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area, I'm quite familiar with Oakland politics. Mayor Jerry Brown and now Ron Dellums have shown how it's seemingly impossible to solve the problems of crime and corruption that plague the city.

So living there can be more than pretty rough. The police are so outnumbered and overwhelmed that they function more in the New Orleans style mode of policing - stay in groups, and swarm in large numbers when needed. So from a public perspective, the police don't help reduce crime, but they are part of a system that brutalizes them. When a member of law enforcement, even a mere BART cop, kills a citizen who is face down, it reinforces the perception in the community that there is no justice available, and that the police are just as dangerous as the drug dealers and gang bangers.

So. Now we have had multiple marches and protests over this incident and a classic Rodney King-type powder keg is armed and ready (the defense has rested its case).

That's the short answer, and of course it doesn't make any sense, but that's the context of this situation.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links