A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid

This is a discussion on A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We put them into mailboxes (without mail in them) and then watched them blast open. And the cherry bombs in beer cans to make rockets, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid

Distinguished Member
    We put them into mailboxes (without mail in them) and then watched them blast open.

And the cherry bombs in beer cans to make rockets, I have the stitches to prove how dumb that was when the metal shards started to fly around.

How about those black snake pellets that we lit and then they expanded into a poop like looking form. Then of course we got into trouble because my dad's sidewalk got all stained up.

2. Remove Ads

So youre gonna tell me that you dont have no black cats, no roman candles, or screamin me me's? you aint got no lady fingers, buzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zipidy doo das, crap flappers? youre tellin me you aint got no whistling bung holes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honky lighters, hoosker do's, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers (with or without the scooter stick), or one single whistling kitty chaser?!

YouTube - Joe Dirt Fireworks Stand Scene.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I can honestly say that my most fun times with the 4th of July was as a kid with simple fire crackers or sparklers and sitting down at Echo Park by the lake watching the fire works.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    So youre gonna tell me that you dont have no black cats, no roman candles, or screamin me me's? you aint got no lady fingers, buzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zipidy doo das, crap flappers? youre tellin me you aint got no whistling bung holes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honky lighters, hoosker do's, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers (with or without the scooter stick), or one single whistling kitty chaser?!

YouTube - Joe Dirt Fireworks Stand Scene.
    Interesting video was shot at Twin Arrows AZ. A long time ago was a great little stop on US-66.

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/RT66trading.htm
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Moderator
    As I sit here reading these posts, I am somewhat saddened that many of my neighbors in other states can not enjoy the fun and thrill of fireworks. As I went to church this morning I drove by a half dozen fireworks stands, all of them full of people buying the fireworks and anticipating dark. Even now, one of my sons sits in a tent selling fireworks for a youth group at church, they make several thousand dollars in a week that supports the youth throughout the year in various ways.

Until my kids grew up and left home, we would do the all American 4th of July.

Every kind of homemade ice cream was made, watermelons were kept in a big tub full of ice, on the tables on the deck was every sort of drink, cool aid in every color, most brands of soft drink, and enough tea and sweet tea to float a barge.

We would have friends and they were free to bring some of their friends. Since most of our friends went to our church, we had an open invite to anyone that wanted to show up. It was not unusual to have anywhere from 75 to 100 people here, with the kids running all over the place, some of them going on little adventures of their own playing in the woods. It was a great way for people that had just started going to church to meet like minded people.

When it got dark everyone would set up their lawnchairs to watch the fireworks display which was usually quite a show, because everyone brought their own. Since the road in front of my house was a one lane road that ended at my properly line, we used it to launch fireworks. We kept several small propane bottles on hand with the automatic torch, you just popped a button and it lite whatever you needed it to.

We did it all in relative amount of safety, the Dad and Moms supervising the lighting of all. Sparklers, Roman Candles,bottle rockets, Rockets of every size, and all sorts of Thunder Boomers, they would shoot way up and explode with every color and scheme imaginable. We had several mortar tubes set up, you lite it and drop in in and off it went streaking into the sky where it would make enough of a blast to rattle the windows. Great fun was had by all.

Last night I sat on the deck and listened to many big booms, the sound of screamers talking off into the dark and the non stop sound of strings of firecrackers and I marveled at the fact that it was a celebration.

I was listened intently to sounds that sounded much the same in a far off country in the Middle East a few decades ago where I spent some time but those sounds meant that someone was dying or in absolute fear or terror. I thought of what a veteran that has served abroad during hard times, what he was thinking of and those sounds may have meant to him or her. Sounds that sound alike from far off but have such a different meaning, sounds that might transport them back to a time when they wondered if they would ever live to see the next sun rise. A time to reflect.

This afternoon as I was sitting in a restaurant with my youngest son and my wife, and he reminded us of how much he enjoyed those days, and how even today, his friends that were here talk about it still.Several times this last week conversation went the the 4th of July celebration and we did it at our house and the fun that was had by all. About the Flag that flew from my deck and about the moment of silence that was observed by everyone, even the little kids...and then the wonderful and awesome display of fireworks that would streak out,scream, and light up the sky.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Great post HotGuns.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

When it got dark everyone would set up their lawnchairs to watch the fireworks display which was usually quite a show, because everyone brought their own. Since the road in front of my house was a one lane road that ended at my properly line, we used it to launch fireworks. We kept several small propane bottles on hand with the automatic torch, you just popped a button and it lite whatever you needed it to.

We did it all in relative amount of safety, the Dad and Moms supervising the lighting of all. Sparklers, Roman Candles,bottle rockets, Rockets of every size, and all sorts of Thunder Boomers, they would shoot way up and explode with every color and scheme imaginable. We had several mortar tubes set up, you lite it and drop in in and off it went streaking into the sky where it would make enough of a blast to rattle the windows. Great fun was had by all.

Last night I sat on the deck and listened to many big booms, the sound of screamers talking off into the dark and the non stop sound of strings of firecrackers and I marveled at the fact that it was a celebration.

This afternoon as I was sitting in a restaurant with my youngest son and my wife, and he reminded us of how much he enjoyed those days, and how even today, his friends that were here talk about it still.Several times this last week conversation went the the 4th of July celebration and we did it at our house and the fun that was had by all. About the Flag that flew from my deck and about the moment of silence that was observed by everyone, even the little kids...and then the wonderful and awesome display of fireworks that would streak out,scream, and light up the sky.
    Great post... Back in 2004 I left Orlando Fl on July 4 headed back to NY (22 hours straight) and from the time the sun set to early in the morning I got to see America celebrate the Fourth. Almost everywhere I looked there were rockets and roman candles lighting the skies from peoples backyards.

A truly great experience.

bosco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    You are SO right! Some of the adventures I had with holiday munitions as a kid would have me at Gitmo today.

Oh the memories.........
    On the farm, we had a fair amount of black powder available. We bought a few M-80s, roman candles, and rockets, But most of what went bang was homemade.

My youthful activities thought out the year but particularly around the 4th would have had me in deep kimchee in today's world.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    As I sit here reading these posts, I am somewhat saddened that many of my neighbors in other states can not enjoy the fun and thrill of fireworks.
    SNIP
    Great post!

Although we have nanny State restrictions the folks here in Appalachia tend to get around it. Goes alone with moonshine, I suspect.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I grew up in Maryland but there was always someone who went out of state and brought back the good stuff and then we purchased our black cats, bottle rockets, M80's and others I have forgotten the names of from.

We used to shot bottle rockets at one another. It was rare one scored a hit but we did it anyways. Teenagers do stupid stuff but I don't regret it.

The worst thing that ever happened was I was lighting standard black cats and throwing them. Well one I had tossed the fuss went out. So being a dumb teenager I thought I could re-light it and once again toss it away.

WRONG!!!!

As my right hand passed my ear it blew up. Two fingers and my thumb went numb and my right ear rang for two days. I never threw another black cat after that but I don't regret having a good time.

I went to purchase some beer tonight and they had SPARKLERS for sell. If you are 5 years old they are cool but when you are 15 they are boring. Yes, thousands of people this time are hurt being idiots with illegal fireworks. This idiot blew off his arm.

NY man blows off arm with fireworks - CNN.com

I wish I could stand outside tonight and set off an entire brick of black cats, shot off some bottle rockets and light a giant fountain but I can't because all I can purchase is some boring sparklers.

Senior Moderator
    A friend of mine bought one of those tightly wound 3 foot diameter rolls of firecrackers. When we stretched it out, it something like 50 feet long.

So we laid it out and lit one end of it. It tooks a full 15 minutes of constant popping before it quit. It was interesting to note that a surprising amount of them would go airborne and pop several feet away from where they started. We figured out quickly that the smart thing to do was light it and get the heck out of dodge.

As for the fireworks in general, I think that they are better today than they ever have been. Maybe so not much in the explosion category, like the old M-80's and cherry bombs used to be, but they are alot more colorful and fly a lot higher than they used to. The "mortar" types that are round and shoot from a tube are great. I remember when they first came out, we thought that they were by far the coolest thing to shoot.

I got several hundred of them from a fireworks tent at out church that was shutting down. Knowing the youth Pastor, he told me that he would rather sell them then have to mess around with storage. I was leaning against a table that had a couple of boxes of mortars and I offered him a hundred bucks for what was maybe 200 bucks worth...which he took.

I thought he meant that particular table and what was on it. He gave me EVERYTHING that was left in the tent, I had a hard time fitting it all in the back of my pickup. So I stored them in a shed until the next year.

A welder friend of mine welded up some steel tubes on a piece of I beam that was about 6 feet long. We had the tubes going up and a few of them that criss crossed. We had stabilizer legs welded to it to keep it stable.

That was a heck of a fireworks display, I never though I would get tired of shooting them but we did for quite awhile.

That shooting stand has made the rounds all over the county since we built it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Exclamation Boom

Some carbide and a gallon paint can......now just where did that lid go?
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    Some carbide and a gallon paint can......now just where did that lid go?
    Didn't mention the water and spark source.

Ever use ether in a can?

BTW -- anyone else still have a toy calcium carbide "Big Bang" cannon?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

We were "really poor" (to hear my mom tell it, but we really weren't) so we never could afford very many fireworks (or none at all....)

SOOOOOOOO we had a blast with our neighbors who probably had less money than us, but they knew how to spend it on the fun stuff!

My very best 4th celebration was when I was 18. My boyfriend and his best bud and I tried our best to blow up his back porch! Awesome memories that night, and guess what? Nobody died!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    BTW -- anyone else still have a toy calcium carbide "Big Bang" cannon?
    BIG BANG CANNON: 15FC Major Field Cannon - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING - $159.95

Had this one, only it didn't cost $159.00 back then... Wow times and prices sure have changed...

bosco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    BIG BANG CANNON: 15FC Major Field Cannon - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING - $159.95

Had this one, only it didn't cost $159.00 back then... Wow times and prices sure have changed...

bosco
    Here's the one I had [and still have packed away some where].

'Big-Bang' 60mm Toy Powderless Cannon / Rare Booklet! - eBay (item 390178610842 end time Aug-01-10 09:49:07 PDT)

or

SOLD!Big Bang Cast Iron Toy Cannon Model 60mm Conestoga Complete Original Box by dnatoys

Mine was/is a one shot at a time sort of breach load of a small spoon/scoop of calcium carbide between each shot. If I remember correctly the 15FC had a charger to allow multiple firing.

And mine didn't cost $40 back then either.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links