A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid - Page 3

A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid

This is a discussion on A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by DaveH Here's the one I had [and still have packed away some where]. Mine was/is a one shot at a time sort ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A fond remembrance of Firecrackers as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Here's the one I had [and still have packed away some where].

Mine was/is a one shot at a time sort of breach load of a small spoon/scoop of calcium carbide between each shot. If I remember correctly the 15FC had a charger to allow multiple firing.

And mine didn't cost $40 back then either.
    I had the one with the charger and it was always getting gunked up and the plunger would jam.

The one you have is better since you open it after each shot. I had to open the back (firing mechanism) after each shot or there wouldn't be enough oxygen in the darn thing to give off the "BIG BANG"... lol

My cannon and a couple of crumpled toothpaste tubes of "Bangsite" are long gone.. Love the smell of funky acetylene gas...
    If I can remember it was in the $20. dollar range.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Ah yes - If you learn to watch the fuse on a bottle-rocket, you can time it so that as you throw it in the air, it will launch mid-air fairly consistently. Of course, the real fun is when you time it wrong .

If my dad weren't in the hospital, we'd be lighting up the sky tonight. Happy 4th everyone!
    Oh yes!!!! I've had them chase me and others around the yard. Then we got brave and started holding them at arms length between out thumb and finger and intentionally launching them at each other. WOHOOOOOO!!!!!!

One of my best stories was when we had finished for the evening. Our neighbors had been in bed for an hour or so when my dad pulled out a couple big packs of firecrackers. We grabbed a tin tub from the building and started tieing all the firecrackers together into one big string. Then we snuck the tub-o-firecrackers over to the neighbors and strategically placed it right under the ground floor master bedroom window! Ever hear firecrackers reverberating out of a tin tub? By the time it was over the neighbor was out on the porch screaming, most of the lights in the neighborhood were now back on, and my entire family was rolling in the front yard laughing!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

DaveH,

I had the small one like yours stashed in my locker in high school. Every once in a while I would fire off a "shot" and it echoed down those smooth hallways. Man, they were looking for me! We also used to take the shot out of .410 shells, tape a BB over the primer and drop them down the 6 foot square stairwells from the third floor. Better effect, but more chance of getting caught.

I had a Vespa motorscooter and had put eye screws into the floorboards. A bottle rocket's stick (or sometimes larger) slid through them on either side. My buddy would ride on the back with a cigar and touch off the fuzes when the "enemy" was in sight.

Can't figure why I'm not in jail right now! LOL

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    We used to take lady fingers and sink them into holes drilled in apples, then launch them up in the air over the local thoroughfare when there were cars coming to watch them explode and drop applesauce on the windshield of the oncoming cars.

WOW were we some dumb kids! Fortunately, noone was hurt... and it was kinda fun, hehehe
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links