Hunt Giant Elephants In Tennessee

Hunt Giant Elephants In Tennessee

This is a discussion on Hunt Giant Elephants In Tennessee within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Prehistoric Fossils Found in Tennessee Backyard (Jul. 4) -- Jim Leyden was waiting for word on the installation of his new backyard pool when he ...

Thread: Hunt Giant Elephants In Tennessee

Administrator

Post Hunt Giant Elephants In Tennessee

Prehistoric Fossils Found in Tennessee Backyard

(Jul. 4) -- Jim Leyden was waiting for word on the installation of his new backyard pool when he received a startling phone call.

"My wife called and said, 'You're not going to believe it... They found a dinosaur," Leyden told Memphis' WMC-TV.

In fact, while digging 8 feet beneath Leyden's Brighton, Tenn., backyard on June 30, contractors discovered the bones of a prehistoric mammal, possibly a trilophodon, part of the mastodon family.

Mastodons are extinct relatives of today's elephants.
    Leyden said he was shocked to learn that fossils, which one expert says could be anywhere from 30,000 years old to 2 million years old, were buried on his property.

"I grew up in New Jersey. I might find a body, but not a prehistoric animal," Leyden told the Commercial Appeal.

David Mason of Affordable Pool Contractors unearthed the jawbone while installing a drain line for the Leydens' new pool.
    "I dug into the dirt and something cracked," Mason told WMC. He didn't know it at the time, but he had hit "a little piece of tooth."

Roy Young, conservator at Memphis Pink Palace Museum, later excavated the bones of the ancient beast, finding a large tooth still attached on the right side of the wishbone-shaped fossil. Another tooth had cracked off during the digging for the pool.
    Young estimated that the bones belonged to an adult who stood up to 8 feet tall and weighed as much as two tons.

Leyden said he planned to donate the fossils to the Pink Palace Museum.

"What am I going to do with it?" he wondered to WMC. "If I keep it around, my wife might throw it at me."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Brother! For a moment there, I thought that park where they have the elephant preserve had decided to thin out the herd!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Kudos on them for donating the skeleton. On another note, that museum should probably consider changing its name
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Administrator
    It was good of him to donate it but, I wonder if he still would have made it a donation if he knew that the actual dollar worth was MANY thousands of dollars? Like at least 50 thou....minimum.

Bah.

We hung an elephant for murder one time. Back in the 1920's. With a railroad crane.

We don't like elephants 'round these parts (but I'm in the exact opposite corner of the state from Memphis!)

If they get the bones, they could at least pay for his pool! Everybody wins!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sponsored Links