U.S. Border Patrol has resources to worry about a handful of hikers...

This is a discussion on U.S. Border Patrol has resources to worry about a handful of hikers... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; crossing the U.S.-Canadian border improperly while doing what to the south?? Feds warn Pacific Crest Trail hikers about border - Yahoo! News Feds warn Pacific ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

crossing the U.S.-Canadian border improperly while doing what to the south??

Feds warn Pacific Crest Trail hikers about border - Yahoo! News

Feds warn Pacific Crest Trail hikers about border
    Fri Jul 2, 1:33 pm ET
    MAZAMA, Wash. The U.S. Border Patrol is warning hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail they could face arrest, jail and a $5,000 fine if they cross the U.S.-Canadian border improperly.

The Wenatchee World reports that the agency sent a letter last month urging the Pacific Crest Trail Association to warn hikers to only enter the U.S. at designated border crossings.

The 2,650-mile trail stretches north from Mexico, crosses the U.S. border in the Pasayten Wilderness and continues for about nine miles to Manning Provincial Park in British Columbia.

The nearest port of entry is 50 miles to the west, at Sumas, in Whatcom County, or more than 50 miles to the east, at Nighthawk or Oroville, Okanogan County.

Beth Boyst is a U.S. Forest Service manager who oversees Pacific Crest Trail issues. She says she'll be meeting with the Border Patrol in the next few weeks to determine the best ways to comply with security needs while accommodating hikers.

"The Forest Service is trying to work out something with the Border Patrol to try to figure out how to allow for passage in a legal way," she said.

Spokane-based Border Patrol spokeswoman Danielle Suarez said the warning only applies to hikers coming into the U.S. There was no incident that prompted the warning letter, she said.

"We just want to create that awareness, so it doesn't get to a point where there are criminal penalties," she said.

Mike Dawson, trail operations director for the Pacific Crest Trail Association, said he hopes exceptions can be made for hikers. At any rate, he said, most hikers who do the entire trail head south to north because there's still snow in the North Cascades long after hiking season starts in Southern California.

Dawson said the association has already set up a method for dealing with hikers traveling into Canada.

Hikers can download a form from the association's website. It shows the types of identification needed, and when people finish the trail, they end up at Manning Provincial Park headquarters, where they can turn in their form.

Many people return from Canada to the U.S. by bus or car through a designated border crossing, he said.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    What a bunch of gobbly **** government waste. The feds won't do a darn thing to stop the illegals from crossing the southern border. Somehow they find the time to threaten US Citizens who have walked for months to complete a lifetime journey.

I am steaming over right now.

It's easier pickings and an opportunity to collect fines.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    What a bunch of gobbly **** government waste. The feds won't do a darn thing to stop the illegals from crossing the southern border. Somehow they find the time to threaten US Citizens who have walked for months to complete a lifetime journey.

Until my heart problems stopped me, I was a long distance hiker and a trail maintainer. I have a number of friends who are triple-crowners. I've know Mike Dawson for years, from his ATC days.

So, this really has me boiling.

IMHO, someone needs a

I wonder how much of this, if any, is coming from the Canadian government.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    US Citizens can be charged with improper importation of merchandise, but not unlawful entry.

The feds won't do a darn thing to stop the illegals from crossing the southern border.
    I have a feeling you don't have a clue what individual Patrol Agents do on the southern border. What comes from up top may be different story, but on the Line, they do their jobs.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

US Border Patrol Agent. One of the most dangerous , unappreciated and misunderstood jobs in law enforcement.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    What comes from up top may be different story, but on the Line, they do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    US Border Patrol Agent. One of the most dangerous , unappreciated and misunderstood jobs in law enforcement.

It's the "what comes from up top" [and/or from north of the border. if that's a factor] that's
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

re: Agave, Thank you.

US Citizens can be charged with improper importation of merchandise, but not unlawful entry.
    Thank you. It is always good when we get authoritative responses to misinformation.

You do the talk, now come out to Arizona on the border and do the walk, with BP.They work their A## off.Wonder if you are up to it?
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    You do the talk, now come out to Arizona on the border and do the walk, with BP.They work their A## off.Wonder if you are up to it?
    I will be happy to come down to the Arizona border - ON MY TERMS. That means I shoot first, ask questions later.

Regardless of where the policy comes from, or what level it is enforced at, that does not make right. Again, to reiterate, it is harrassment of US citizens who have spent months hiking to accomplish a lifetime journey. The border patrol needs to focus on the real issues, not create problems where there are none.

My comments had nothing to do with individual agents - take it how you like it SatCong.

VIP Member

I have a feeling you don't have a clue what individual Patrol Agents do on the southern border. What comes from up top may be different story, but on the Line, they do their jobs.
    I think most every America has a clue Agave. I think the politicians and beauracrats in Washington don't have a clue.

Again, the ops post was about hikers - that was my response. Commit the resources where the poblem lies, not by harrassing hikers.

I think most every America has a clue Agave. I think the politicians and beauracrats in Washington don't have a clue.

Again, the ops post was about hikers - that was my response. Commit the resources where the poblem lies, not by harrassing hikers.
    Sorry to say you don't have a clue. But like your reasons.You don't need to go to the border,about 80 miles north in the desert and have all the shooting you want. But you might have some incoming to. politicians and beauracrats in Washington don't have a clue.
    YOUR RIGHT, THEY DON'T OR DON"T CARE. Now you take it anyway you want!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I live in the PNW & in my younger years did the Northern stretch of the "Trail" many times. Both on foot & horse back

But times are DIFFERENT in today's world.

IMHO, Although this may be a problem, for some, it is something that needs to be addressed,& I feel that it will be worked out. The BP, is GREAT Unit. ( politics aside )

Puffer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    Sorry to say you don't have a clue. But like your reasons.You don't need to go to the border,about 80 miles north in the desert and have all the shooting you want. But you might have some incoming to. politicians and beauracrats in Washington don't have a clue.
    YOUR RIGHT, THEY DON'T OR DON"T CARE. Now you take it anyway you want!
    You keep saying I don't have a clue, care to enlighten me? Got something specific, put it out there.

If I had it my way...

...I would let the officers pre-emptively defend themselves.

...there would be zero illegal border crossings.

...I would round up all the illegals and send them home.

...we would have returned fire into Mexico for the shots that hit the US building.

...the illegal problem would have been dealt with a long time ago.

I think the problem lies in the article. We all know the border patrol has a tough job and I for one appreciate how well they operate with the limitations put on them by the policy makers. Americans dont want to hear about BP policy on the Canadian border though. We all know in the back of our mind that there are BP agents up north securing that border, but the common mans focus is on the southern border. We dont have an influx of illegal Canadians, if we did then I dont think there would be any debate.All of our borders need to be secured, but we want the news and the government to focus on the southern one.

Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links