Asked why I drive an SUV

This is a discussion on Asked why I drive an SUV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by StevePVB Paid for -- my 2001 Silverado and 2002 4Runner. Lots of miles but they keep running (I wonder if changing the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asked why I drive an SUV

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Paid for -- my 2001 Silverado and 2002 4Runner. Lots of miles but they keep running (I wonder if changing the oil and doing other service has anything to do with that).
    Yes, routine maintence helps TONS! I explain this all day everyday to people for a living

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GlockLobster View Post
    Again, I don't care what you drive, just drive safe. It's just the only people I know who have actually manage to roll a vehicle (which takes "work"), all 3 were SUV's, and only one of those involved another car.
    I had a brain fart on December 26th 1992 but I did manage to walk away from the below. 3 1/2 times at 70 MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Bigger isn't necessarily safer. Just the other day my daughter and I saw a Honda Civic and a Ford Expedition hit head on, quarter to quarter.

The Honda was damaged, but it was still driveable enough to get it out of the road. Some frontal damage, hood, flat tire, etc.

The Expedition had flipped and landed on it's side.............

Also consider that a smaller, better handling car may allow you to avoid a crash entirely, whereas that gigantic SUV doesn't handle as well, and has far longer stopping distance than most smaller and lighter cars.

Of course, there's no way to know exactly what kind of crash, if any, you're going to be in. Just like security, avoidance is the best policy.
    (emphasis added)

The best thing is knowing the proper way to drive what you are driving! It is quite possible the reason the Expedition flipped is because the lady tried to avoid hitting the honda! In a high center of gravity vehicle attempts at evasive action can get you killed.
    Back in January I was in a collision driving an armored truck. A late 90's Buick Park Avenue decided to make a left turn across my path. At impact I had 3.2 G deceleration and never left my lane. The video from the on board camera shows the Buick spinning out of the field of view to my left. It ended up against a tree ten feet off the road, through a wrought iron fence and about ten feet back from the point of impact. The Buick was totalled. After the police showed up and handled the paperwork, I drove off on my merry way with a bent bumper and some cracked fiberglass.

If I had swerved I probably would have either rolled from the impact or when I went into the ditch at the side of the road.

And GlockLobster is correct. I forget which years it covered but one study showed the most frequently rolled vehicle was the Chevy S-10 Blazer two wheel drive version.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    Bigger isn't necessarily safer.... Of course, there's no way to know exactly what kind of crash, if any, you're going to be in. Just like security, avoidance is the best policy.
    very true. the car i've been driving for the past 10 years, a 2000 honda prelude, i've avoided enough close calls in that car to know i'd rather be in a car like mine than an suv. i've seen suv's flip at the slightest touch. many times after acidents. and considering many accidents that occure, the vehicles continute to move a good bit after the collisions. skids generally occure during this time. also my car's hood will go under most all SUVs causing them to flip, much like the story above with the civic. i've read and seen plenty of stories with my generation car involved in accidents. some very severe. some i'm surprised the drivers walked away from unhurt. some involved with cars/suvs much larger. and still never even mild injuries in the accidents.

i've heard of many people drive SUVs simply because they think they're safer. that false implication makes people less aware of their surroundings, driving more wreckless. hence causing accidents. i've noticed it myself when my wife drives her friends SUV. she becomes very wreckless. she says she feels safer. especially in the rain. she drives very wreckless when she's driving her friends SUV. when she drives her little scion TC she's a very good driver.

for those who go on and off military installations and know the large rods in the road you have to go around. i've seen SUV's flip going around those going 15 MPH... wet roads or not. its probably idiocy.. its undoubtly not the SUV's fault. much like its not a guns fault in a killing. but it enforces my argument in the previous paragraph. people aren't as aware as they should be because of the false implication of safety.

not saying one is more safer or dangerous then the other. imo SUV's are more prone to accidents being bigger, taller, harder to stop, more prone to flips. being such, requires more attention and responsibility when driving. if you can't handle it..... well thats just self explanitory.

I drive a Ford Ranger. I love it because it feels VERY "nimble" to drive and since I've been driving it since i was 17 I know exactly how to handle it, off road, grave, mud, on ice, in rain, locked up, in a slide.....etc.

DH's Ford Explorer feels a lot more top heavy and bulkier, but I will admit that they have made some improvements in the brakes department (not to mention that it being 1000lbs heavier and having 4x4 makes it slide less) I think you have to really mess up to flip your vehicle, it does take some "work"
    If you know how your truck feels, you can tell when your center of gravity is getting "off" and stop doing whatever it is that you are doing wrong. I know one night I was making a sudden turn in my truck and I braked for it, but I felt that if I continued braking through the turn that I would actually risk flipping, so I eased up on the brakes. You gotta sense what is going on and adjust for it, and knowing your vehicle makes all the difference.

I wrecked the Explorer in May (although it wasn't my fault) and I can say that I was glad that we were driving it instead of my truck because it does stop better. I had no possible evasion so stopping was the only option. It stopped enough that the impact was very minimal, and that probably saved us any wheel/steering/alignment damage.

BTW, THIS qualifies as "totaled" nowadays: 2000 Ford Explorer

I'm still driving it every day and we haven't fixed a durn thing yet. har har
    The other car was still driveable, but it looked a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I was in my local gun store and one guy asked me "with these gas prices, why do you still drive an SUV?"
    There's fuel efficiency and then there's trip efficiency. It all comes down to how it's used.

From the perspective of a single driver needing only to commute and shop as a single driver, then a larger/heavier and less fuel efficient car might well seem silly. And from that perspective, for that specific usage pattern, it is less efficient. But for patterns of usage that require the space for either stuff or occupants, there's no good alternative to having the space, since far fewer trips can deliver the equivalent load for far less gas expended. Depends on the use.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I like the room and the fact that I if someone hits me, I might live.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I drive a Ford Ranger. I love it because it feels VERY "nimble" to drive and since I've been driving it since i was 17 I know exactly how to handle it, off road, grave, mud, on ice, in rain, locked up, in a slide.....etc.

DH's Ford Explorer feels a lot more top heavy and bulkier, but I will admit that they have made some improvements in the brakes department (not to mention that it being 1000lbs heavier and having 4x4 makes it slide less) I think you have to really mess up to flip your vehicle, it does take some "work"
    If you know how your truck feels, you can tell when your center of gravity is getting "off" and stop doing whatever it is that you are doing wrong. I know one night I was making a sudden turn in my truck and I braked for it, but I felt that if I continued braking through the turn that I would actually risk flipping, so I eased up on the brakes. You gotta sense what is going on and adjust for it, and knowing your vehicle makes all the difference.

I wrecked the Explorer in May (although it wasn't my fault) and I can say that I was glad that we were driving it instead of my truck because it does stop better. I had no possible evasion so stopping was the only option. It stopped enough that the impact was very minimal, and that probably saved us any wheel/steering/alignment damage.

BTW, THIS qualifies as "totaled" nowadays: 2000 Ford Explorer

I'm still driving it every day and we haven't fixed a durn thing yet. har har
    The other car was still driveable, but it looked a lot worse.
    I drive an Explorer as well. I'll take your trans, engine, tires, suspension, and back hatch so long as it is compatible with a '95
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There's fuel efficiency and then there's trip efficiency. It all comes down to how it's used.

From the perspective of a single driver needing only to commute and shop as a single driver, then a larger/heavier and less fuel efficient car might well seem silly. And from that perspective, for that specific usage pattern, it is less efficient. But for patterns of usage that require the space for either stuff or occupants, there's no good alternative to having the space, since far fewer trips can deliver the equivalent load for far less gas expended. Depends on the use.
    Well put! I kayak, snowboard, sail, am the mule for shooting trips, and the DD 9.7 times out of 10, so it serves my uses brilliantly!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Until I can find a more fuel efficient vehicle that is capable of towing heavy boats, has 4x4 and offroad capability, and can find myself, 3 other people, a dog, and all equipment on a road trip to go hunting in South Carolina, I'll stick with my SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Shackleton View Post
    I drive an Explorer as well. I'll take your trans, engine, tires, suspension, and back hatch so long as it is compatible with a '95
    Eh, it's paid off now and we're still driving it.
    Part of the reason that we leaned towards the Explorer is because a lot of the parts are compatable with my Ranger. Same engine for example. We rebuilt my Ranger so I kinda know how it's put together - that way I didn't have to learn a new truck.

I almost like the notoriety of driving around with a smashed up fender --- at the stop signs who do you think wants to run it in front of me????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links